Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Valour - 2020 Season Thread

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, top cheese said:

Well I think you’re probably correct in some regards. The teams attitude was deplorable, not run professionally, and many of the best local players didn’t want to play in that type of environment. Mb sports culture can be toxic overall. 

I think that point has now been done to death.

The new season is almost upon us. Time to stop looking backwards and start looking forwards.

Edited by Lofty

16 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Elo isn't great to compare FC Manitoba with PLSQ & L1O. They are two leagues that never face each other. so, it's hard to really know if they're close because this has been a bad team in L2.

Oh, totally been a horrible team but I'm not sure I would put them at the MMSL level.

6 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

Oh, totally been a horrible team but I'm not sure I would put them at the MMSL level.

Didn't WSA Winnipeg also have a team in MMSL? If that is the case then they were clearly higher than that level

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, T_Bison said:

FCMB is still listed in the USL along with the T-Bay Chill & Calgary Foothills. I really think the FCMB is about the same level as L1O or PLSQ, and while it's not perfect, Shauwn Grey's ELO rankings seem to bare that out: https://northernstartingeleven.com/mar-2020-vcup-elo-ratings-watch/ 

While USL-2 is U23 only, that really isn't a bad thing. I also wouldn't be surprised if a Western Div 3 league popped up in 2021 or 2022 and both FCMB & the Chill joined.

From the article you've linked, FC Manitoba is taken to be a new franchise, as WSA Winnipeg sold their rights, much like Victoria Highlanders sold their rights to TFA Willamette (or when they bought them from Kitsap Pumas). It's a different entity entirely, and so their ratings were reset.

You'll have to go back to this article (https://northernstartingeleven.com/2019-top-canadian-soccer-teams-thats-a-wrap/) to see where WSA Winnipeg sat in the rankings. As you can see, it's pretty far down the totem pole (46th, below a number of amateur sides), and not very representative of the USL2 experience. The team actually hadn't won a match in over 2-years, so it just kept dropping further & further down the ratings. Additionally, WSA's MMSL team also ended at the bottom of the pool, and should be relegated this year.

Sadly, we've only had a few L1O & 1 PLSQ side compete against other Canadian sides, so it's been really hard to peg down how exactly they fit. The more cross-league play, the more representative the ratings will become.

100% agree though, the ratings are anything but perfect, and it'll never be "perfect" for everyone. Improvement suggestions have always (and will always) be considered.

Edited by Rintaran
Fixed team name (TFA Willamette)

Posted (edited)

6 CPL-U SPORTS draft picks poised to break through this pre-season

https://canpl.ca/article/6-cpl-u-sports-draft-picks-poised-to-break-through-this-pre-season

Marcus Campanile – Valour FC – 2nd overall

With Year 1 midfielders Jose Galan and Raphel Ohin still unsigned, perhaps Marcus Campanile will fill Valour FC’s clear void in central midfield. The first of two Cape Breton picks for Rob Gale, the fourth-year Scottish midfielder offers loads of experience from his time in USL League Two with Calgary Foothills and K-W United.

Charlie Waters – Valour FC – 13th overall

Charlie Waters could be the biggest coup in CPL history. Taken next-to-last in the 2019 draft, he is at CPL level right now: Liverpool and Manchester United trained, scoring a goal-a-game in U SPORTS, smart off-the-ball movement and a high soccer IQ along with a wicked ability to finish.

Edited by Lofty

4 hours ago, Lofty said:

Charlie Waters – Valour FC – 13th overall

Charlie Waters could be the biggest coup in CPL history. Taken next-to-last in the 2019 draft, he is at CPL level right now: Liverpool and Manchester United trained, scoring a goal-a-game in U SPORTS, smart off-the-ball movement and a high soccer IQ along with a wicked ability to finish.

I don't believe for a minute that Waters was actually the 13th draft pick.  That draft was very clearly not live,  and I personally believe he was our first pick but they reordered it out of some kind of misguided dramatic effect.  I'm looking forward to see what he can do this season 😀

Just now, MrsC said:

I don't believe for a minute that Waters was actually the 13th draft pick.  That draft was very clearly not live,  and I personally believe he was our first pick but they reordered it out of some kind of misguided dramatic effect.  I'm looking forward to see what he can do this season 😀

Both he and campelle are very good usport players if they are given an opportunity

same for cadeen budahoo

44 minutes ago, MrsC said:

Well, there's a lot more enthusiasm for U-Sports players around here than I'm willing to express but just for giggles I'll make the argument that the man was passed over for the simple reason no one expected him to go to the CPL, and thus weren't willing to waste a pick on him.

Bit foggy but I somehow remember Rob Friend sort of being in a similar situation.  Was selected quite late during the MLS "draft" simply because no one was expecting him to ever play MLS. 

Will echo the 2nd part of your post.  Desperately hoping he turns into an absolute treasure.   We need one. 

1 hour ago, MrsC said:

Waters missed the entire 2018 season with a knee injury. That would add risk to the pick, although he is young and seems to have come through 2019 fine.

He has also expressed interest in playing in the CPL, as mentioned in this article (link below).

I think there is good reason to be optimistic about Waters.

https://northerntribune.ca/cpl-u-sports-2019-draft-fowards/

1 hour ago, MrsC said:

What do these organizations have in common: KGB, CIA, NSA, MI5, CPL?

I'm busy working, someone give us a progress report on the Valour camp.

Friday March 6, South Complex 09:30

Next week they continue at the South Complex, AM & PM.

09:00-10:30, times in the PM vary depending on the day.

7 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

I'm busy working, someone give us a progress report on the Valour camp.

Friday March 6, South Complex 09:30

Next week they continue at the South Complex, AM & PM.

09:00-10:30, times in the PM vary depending on the day.

Are these open to the public though? The website still shows the final dates from last season.

I think in the article Gale says open camp starts on saturday.

Valour’s training camp begins in earnest on Saturday. Gale says that anywhere from two to five players from this week’s tryouts will be invited to join the roster players and U SPORTS draft picks. From there, spots remain up for grabs for those willing and able to take them.

https://canpl.ca/article/valour-coach-rob-gale-evaluating-free-agents-at-closed-tryout

7 hours ago, Ansem said:

Guess who's staying! 

Nice classy post from the guy and shout out to supporters. The kind of attitude that makes you proud. 

I wonder if he held out for Ottawa being Spanish, though at his age he's no prospect. 

Posted (edited)
Valour was aware of interest from elsewhere on Brandon John. Will not come as a surprise, even if he’s in Winnipeg right now. #CanPL
Quote Tweet

MqpnfeUv_normal.jpg
Thomas Nef

@ThomasNef2
· 16h

Atlético Ottawa has signed defender Brandon John. Last played in 2019 with Orlando City B in the USL League One and is a former youth U20 & U23 (2015) national team player. #AtleticoOttawa #CanPL
Edited by Winnipeg Fury

Was looking at profiles of Galán, I see he has a degree in Psychology. That is unusual for a Spanish footballer. His partner, on the other hand, is a lawyer with an MBA and works as a financial consultant in insurance in Winnipeg. So it does seem that he can accept a lower level salary as a footballer because there are other resources there. It would seem he is looking at sports psychology as a path after his career, interesting.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Nice classy post from the guy and shout out to supporters. The kind of attitude that makes you proud. 

I wonder if he held out for Ottawa being Spanish, though at his age he's no prospect. 

A casual soccer fan could drop by the forum after a few months and mistakingly wonder if the City of Ottawa has somehow announced trilingualism as a new official policy. Heady days to be a Canadian soccer supporter.

https://canpl.ca/article/james-pantemis-joins-valour-fc-on-loan-from-montreal-impact

It's official - but why do they always sell themselves short?  

"The Montreal-born goalkeeper, who has yet to make a senior appearance for the Impact, also trained with Italian club Bologna FC in 2017."

He played two matches for Montreal last season in the Vs Cup.

14 hours ago, Wippersuna said:

Based on the reply by Paolucci maybe he’s gone?

73BFE21F-8698-49CA-A1CE-E400417E2519.jpeg

Could be, but Paolucci is definitely in town and only arrived a few weeks ago, which wouldn't make a lot of sense if he was cutting ties.