Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Valour - 2020 Season Thread

Recommended Posts

Sigh. Valour feels like Mo Johnston as GM in charge of TFC all over again.

(What I meant by this is that Rob Gale has a ton of charisma much like Mo had.  Mo made a lot of bad decisions with signings and seemed to not really have a defined vision of how he wanted his team to be that set TFC back for a long time.  I’m hoping that Gale can right the ship, because I do like him, but I do feel trepidation about this coming season)

Edited by Weng

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's fine to have your own opinion on it but I really don't like it when Platt/Larson use the "there has been an eyebrow or two raised around the league" excuse to back up their logic.

It's clear that he has an opinion and he is more than capable to state his case without that.  Stand on your own feet instead of running behind mommy.

EDIT:  I don't disagree with Platt on this, it is all very logical, which makes that line even more irritating. 

Edited by Stouffvillain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Ansem said:

 

 

I basically agree with him. Last season Pacific had apparently done this with De Jong, but he is Canadian, and they thought they could use his leadership on the pitch, not just the positional play. In retrospect, as Platt says, this is not the right way to do things, because you risk injury even with the other things in place. 

We need to be a league where players are not getting overpaid so the rest of the cap can be used fairly, this premise I agree with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Looking at the composition of the team this year, I have no problem with this signing.  That is assuming we still have money for a quality striker or two.  And I can't see RG signing this guy if it meant we had no quality strikers.  

Nor do I think "it is delusional to close the gap with Calgary in one season."  We all know where we were weak relative to the rest of the CPL and with the exception of striker (to date),  I think we have improved.

If this team can keep a positive attitude I expect us to be competitive every match this season and going for 3 points.  Yes, including Calgary !

Don't forget, we apparently received compensation for Attardo.

Perhaps it looks like we are breaking the bank, because WFC are actually spending their player budget this season ?

 

 

Edited by Winnipeg Fury

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He cites the departure of Bustos, Petrasso, and LBG, without even the hint of an acknowledgment that these moves will have opened up a big chunk of salary space. He seems to think that is too much money to be spent on a defender, after going on TV last year and over and over (fairly) dumping on the Valour back line. He doesn't seem to think it's reasonable to make a turnaround in a year or two in an 8 team league in its second season with massive turnover across the board. I think he posted hastily and regrets being so categorical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^ this.

Presumably presumably presumably. Fair game if that the case when season starts but its already been reported another player or two are coming in, including a striker. This offseason has  been a big one. I'm not a huge fan of Gale but all the signings look like good moves. I guess they did this time last year too but like @Winnipeg Fury says, they wouldnt be signing this guy if it meant no strikers. 

It might go against the majority of other clubs imports, or u23 but maybe they want his experience and potential leadership to bring though a local younger LB this season. He is 31 not 36. Could easily have another couple of seasons at the highest level, let alone here. Come season start we will have a better picture to judge and not "presume".

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jonovision said:

He cites the departure of Bustos, Petrasso, and LBG, without even the hint of an acknowledgment that these moves will have opened up a big chunk of salary space. He seems to think that is too much money to be spent on a defender, after going on TV last year and over and over (fairly) dumping on the Valour back line. He doesn't seem to think it's reasonable to make a turnaround in a year or two in an 8 team league in its second season with massive turnover across the board. I think he posted hastily and regrets being so categorical.

Bustos and Petrasso own very, very little of the blame for Valour's defensive woes last season regardless of how Gale would have liked for them to have played in whatever that defensive scheme was supposed to be last season.  Their departure creates greater budget flexability in the same instance it creates an additional need.  Not sure how Bouka-Moutou translates into better value for money with that reality in mind so I think Platt has got that part about right.  

Concerned about the lack of offensive talent, clearly.  However, the roster may not even be filled out until well into May so and I'm willing to hold off on the sillyness until we're into summer but damn, Gale better have something serious in the works to bring some goal scorers in.  But if the words "salary cap" are used as any part of an excuse to explain the inability to get some attacking talent on board, look out.     

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Counter Point to Oliver Platt.

1. Salary capped league. Calm down. This is a player who has not played much recently so the offers were clearly not piling up. Even though he will most likely be one of Valour's higher earners they clearly would not have had to break the bank to get him. And this is just one player. There will be plenty of remaining cap space to go around.

2. Left Back. RG is clearly placing priority on strengthening the weakest area: the defence. Who can argue with that? Yes, the spine of the team is very important but you can't just throw all your money there. If a quality wide player is available it is certainly worth making the investment, even as one of your high earners -- as with Petrasso and Bustos last season!

a) If he stays for 2 years I'd be pretty happy with that but on what basis are we assuming it won't be 3 or even 4 years?

b) He was signed on a "free" so who cares about resale value.

c) You can't fill your squad with promising youngsters with "potential", you need some skill in the "here and now" too or you will get turned over. Also, promising youngsters are typically not high earners so you can add them fairly easily.

A further note on the spine: last year Valour had Farago / Thomas / Beland-Goyette / Paolucci. RG has already brought in Jean-Baptiste to replace Thomas which appears to be a massive upgrade. If the rumoured Pantemis loan materializes he will surely be an upgrade on the very mediocre Farago. Fordyce is likely not an upgrade on Beland-Goyette but seems like a character player who certainly won't be a significant downgrade either. For my money, the spine is already much stronger and we still have time to upgrade up front.

Anecdote: I happened to be at the Walker Stadium on the day Kyle Walker played what I think was his first match on loan at QPR from Spurs (Sep 2010). Playing right back he absolutely owned the right flank and QPR won 2-0 (Mackie×2). All positions on the park are important and good players can influence the game from anywhere.

(I'm in that crowd shot somewhere!)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Weng said:

Sigh. Valour feels like Mo Johnston as GM in charge of TFC all over again.

(What I meant by this is that Rob Gale has a ton of charisma much like Mo had.  Mo made a lot of bad decisions with signings and seemed to not really have a defined vision of how he wanted his team to be that set TFC back for a long time.  I’m hoping that Gale can right the ship, because I do like him, but I do feel trepidation about this coming season)

I don't think RG has made a lot of bad decisions with signings. A few, sure, but no more than normal. His problems lie in other areas and he may yet get it right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why bring Calgary into this??  As if bringing in decent players means we are "trying to catch Calgary in one off season".  Can these guys have a conversation that doesnt rotate around calgary?  Did he slam Pacific for spending big on a LB like Dejong last season?  I know they get paid for having opinions and they love to generate tweets and clicks but but shut up!  Aird, Levis, Fordyce, Baptiste, Pantemis..these are all good players, and obviously there are holes and question marks (anyone have a pair of strikers?).  But come on, Calgary lost their top scorer, one of the best cb in whole league Waterman and Buscher who made alot of the best 11 teams...hmmm.   Why doesnt he write some smart ass tweets about what they have been doing in the offseason??  How are they going to replace what you could argue was their 3 best players??  Grrrr, I'm getting fired up for the season and there is still 3 feet of snow in my yard.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, T_Bison said:

I suspect he's just a body for training camp. He's mid-20s, 5'4" and not much of an offensive performer at the usl2 level.

 

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Why bring Calgary into this??  As if bringing in decent players means we are "trying to catch Calgary in one off season".  Can these guys have a conversation that doesnt rotate around calgary?  Did he slam Pacific for spending big on a LB like Dejong last season?  I know they get paid for having opinions and they love to generate tweets and clicks but but shut up!  Aird, Levis, Fordyce, Baptiste, Pantemis..these are all good players, and obviously there are holes and question marks (anyone have a pair of strikers?).  But come on, Calgary lost their top scorer, one of the best cb in whole league Waterman and Buscher who made alot of the best 11 teams...hmmm.   Why doesnt he write some smart ass tweets about what they have been doing in the offseason??  How are they going to replace what you could argue was their 3 best players??  Grrrr, I'm getting fired up for the season and there is still 3 feet of snow in my yard.  

The lb is a bit of a risk he’s in his 30’s and hasn’t played much the past couple of years but the reality is you take what you get in this league.

 

i hope they give the usport players an opportunity this season unlike what they did last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2020 at 10:57 PM, top cheese said:

 

The lb is a bit of a risk he’s in his 30’s and hasn’t played much the past couple of years but the reality is you take what you get in this league.

 

i hope they give the usport players an opportunity this season unlike what they did last year.

I think they were given an opportunity, they just didn't make the team.

I am expecting both Campanile and Waters to make the team this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Thomas signs with Pittsburgh Riverhounds.  

They WON the USL Eastern Conference last season! Although they were 22nd / 36 teams in attendance in USL-C so somebody must be chucking the cash around.

Anyway, best of luck to Skylar Thomas. I hope that works out better for him than Valour did.

https://canpl.ca/article/ex-valour-defender-skylar-thomas-signs-with-usls-pittsburgh-riverhounds

Edited by Lofty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Breaking News! 

Doh! I really should have read your edit. Didn't flag as new to me.

 

Ah well.

The official loss of defender Skylar Thomas, goalkeeper Mathias Janssens, and midfielders Ali Musse and Dylan Sacramento is not unexpected, but at least we know for sure now.

 https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/valour-fc-transactions-2

 

Really wish Valour would post these updates in a more timely manner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ My post was aimed at Valour, not you. They are only announcing this now? They are doing a terrible job of keeping the fans informed. They derive no benefit from delaying these announcements.

Janssens and Musse are both news though.

Still awaiting official word on: Farago, Ohin, Galvis, Peña, Galán, Paolucci.

Edited by Lofty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...