Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Valour - 2020 Season Thread

I'm very happy that Le Bourhis and Garcia have been retained, particularly Garcia. Both youngsters with promise and a good attitude.

I'm a little disappointed to see Muenkat leaving because now I won't be able to argue with @Cheeta about whether it is two syllables or three. More seriously, I think I saw more in him than others but based on that social media gaffe we are probably well rid.

I'll shed no tears over Mitter, who seemed to get noticeably worse as the season wore on. And Golubar was not the force I expected in the little we saw of him in matches; so given his age, his release may be for the best. Although, we do need talented experience in the squad to bring on the youngsters.

14 hours ago, Lofty said:

I'll shed no tears over Mitter, who seemed to get noticeably worse as the season wore on. And Golubar was not the force I expected in the little we saw of him in matches; so given his age, his release may be for the best. Although, we do need talented experience in the squad to bring on the youngsters.

I suspect Valour might go after someone like Zachary Ellis-Hayden or Andrés Fresenga. We keep hearing about Canadians in USL and elsewhere who are interested in coming back to the country so maybe?

On 11/29/2019 at 3:08 PM, T_Bison said:

Pity about Golubar but understandable.  At his age and the nature of this league, not to mention the surface at IGF it doesn't surprise that they've parted ways.  NEEDED to see more of him to justify keeping him going forward but it didn't happen.  Rotten luck.

Mitter is what he is and I think if left to be that he's reasonable enough but a lot of players on a lot of teams are being asked to be something more/other than what they're most comfortable with and some don't respond as well to that as others, clearly.  Felt like the man was made of glass sometimes to.  If you're not used to playing on plastic you may be in for a rough go up here.

Muenkat blew it.  Was aweful when he wasn't mediocre and clearly doesn't like running.  All that may be down to moral issues but if so he certainly didn't responde to adversity when he encountered it.  Least not in Winnipeg and not under Gale.  Honestly, hope he lands on his feet somewhere but I'd be snarling at Gale if he was kept on.

Good news regarding Garcia.  One of a few who finished the season stronger than they began it.  Le Bourhis is a project but one I think worth investing in.  Both men might just shine that much more in a more stable environment, which 2020 will hopefully be, and lots of time to show how much up-side they have.

Anyway, two of the players I'd have kept on if possible and I'd shed half the roster if it was up to me.  Funny that I really want to hold onto the players I don't want to replace.  One extreme or the other, how very Cheeta of me. 

On 11/30/2019 at 9:55 AM, T_Bison said:

I suspect Valour might go after someone like Zachary Ellis-Hayden or Andrés Fresenga. We keep hearing about Canadians in USL and elsewhere who are interested in coming back to the country so maybe?

A little interesting note, is that Andres Fresenga played together with Nicolas Galvis at Canadian SC in the Uruguayan Second Division (they were the only two actual Canadians on the roster in 2016). 

8 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

A little interesting note, is that Andres Fresenga played together with Nicolas Galvis at Canadian SC in the Uruguayan Second Division (they were the only two actual Canadians on the roster in 2016). 

Couldn't hurt having a familiar face to entice someone to join. And while the team wasn't that good last year, if the team has a structure they believe in and with Winnipeg's legendary fans, it could tip the scales.

1 hour ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Galvis was weak. 

He would not crack any other CPL roster. 

Missed the point - I'm saying even having a weak team you can still attract good talent

1 hour ago, T_Bison said:

Missed the point - I'm saying even having a weak team you can still attract good talent

Sorry about that.  I wasn't responding to your point, so much as making a statement that I don't think Galvis is good enough for CPL.   He would be one of my first cuts.  

I am very curious to see our roster going forward.  I've heard inside whispers we may actually be weaker on field this year.  Sounds like lots of dissension in the dressing room last season.

That said, I like the recent roster announcements.  With 2 confirmed signings, we have lots of moves to make.  Will we pick up any of the recent cuts from other clubs  ?  Will we introduce some quality imports  ?  Who's leaving and who is staying ?

41 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

I am very curious to see our roster going forward.  I've heard inside whispers we may actually be weaker on field this year.  Sounds like lots of dissension in the dressing room last season.

I can't see you guys going anywhere but up with the roster as it is now. There are certainly some interesting free agents available, especially on the defensive side, however before the season started I honestly thought Valour would have the best defensive record in the league (Thomas, Murrell and Farago all seemed like sure-fire signings to me).

If the team does end up worse I can't imagine Gale sticking around much longer, though i don't know how much of a leash the Blue Bombers usually give coaches. Maybe Gale will pull a Mo Johnston and convince them that he should be the GM

1 hour ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Sorry about that.  I wasn't responding to your point, so much as making a statement that I don't think Galvis is good enough for CPL.   He would be one of my first cuts.  

All good amigo - I probably snapped back a bit too harshly. I agree Galvis was weak but I think we had other fish to fry first.

Where did you hear those whispers?

41 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

If the team does end up worse I can't imagine Gale sticking around much longer, though i don't know how much of a leash the Blue Bombers usually give coaches. Maybe Gale will pull a Mo Johnston and convince them that he should be the GM

WFC is notorious for giving GMs & coaches long leashes although Gale is definitely on the hot-seat this year. I could see him gone mid-summer if the team isn't very good again.

That being said, I think a lot of the talent was weaker than advertised. Farago in particular was one the weakest keepers in the league and I think he would be gone if not for a multi-year contract. I expect a significant course-correction

14 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

That being said, I think a lot of the talent was weaker than advertised. Farago in particular was one the weakest keepers in the league and I think he would be gone if not for a multi-year contract. I expect a significant course-correction

Yeah, I think a lot of it comes down to the league being stronger than everyone expected, which was a pleasant surprise. Would have figured guys that got games in NASL and USL would have been guaranteed solid pieces. Unfortunately for them (but fortunately for fans of CPL), they were not

While I agree with all of the current assessments above, I hope that CPL teams aren’t giving up on guys aged 18-22 who clearly have talent but are not at the level to make an impact yet in the league.

Pena, Galvis, Gutierrez and Muenkat are a group of players who still have a chance to develop but were thrust into poor situations due to Valour’s lack of depth and often out of position. I wouldn’t suggest keeping all of those guys but I’m not ready to give up on some of the young talent in the league after 1 year, especially when it was many of their first seasons.

I hope the same for a few other already released guys in the league like Skublak, Simmons, Rollocks, Lincourt-Joseph, B. Zebie, Sakaria, Legault, Hernandez and Gogarty who could still grow in the right role deeper in the depth chart

1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

I can't see you guys going anywhere but up with the roster as it is now. There are certainly some interesting free agents available, especially on the defensive side, however before the season started I honestly thought Valour would have the best defensive record in the league (Thomas, Murrell and Farago all seemed like sure-fire signings to me).

Gale has been both the  head coach and general manager from day one. 

12 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

While I agree with all of the current assessments above, I hope that CPL teams aren’t giving up on guys aged 18-22 who clearly have talent but are not at the level to make an impact yet in the league.

Pena, Galvis, Gutierrez and Muenkat are a group of players who still have a chance to develop but were thrust into poor situations due to Valour’s lack of depth and often out of position. I wouldn’t suggest keeping all of those guys but I’m not ready to give up on some of the young talent in the league after 1 year, especially when it was many of their first seasons.

I hope the same for a few other already released guys in the league like Skublak, Simmons, Rollocks, Lincourt-Joseph, B. Zebie, Sakaria, Legault, Hernandez and Gogarty who could still grow in the right role deeper in the depth chart

The U21 rule will certainly buy a lot of younger players some time. Guys like Sarkaria and PLJ are 25 now though. They might not get may not get more opportunities. If PLJ can hold out a bit longer he could probably latch onto a Laval team, but a guy like Sarkaria not getting much minutes at his hometown club, probably wouldn't get too many offers

1 minute ago, Charlesmazzz said:

Gale has been both the  head coach and general manager from day one. 

Same thing applied to Mo Johnston with TFC. He was day 1 coach and GM. TFC did awful in the first year, then he somehow managed to convince TFC brass that his skills were better suited as only GM. He managed to hold on for a couple terrible years and hasn't had another coaching/GM job since

1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

The U21 rule will certainly buy a lot of younger players some time. Guys like Sarkaria and PLJ are 25 now though. They might not get may not get more opportunities. If PLJ can hold out a bit longer he could probably latch onto a Laval team, but a guy like Sarkaria not getting much minutes at his hometown club, probably wouldn't get too many offers

That’s a fair comment, I probably overestimated the age with Sarkaria coming out of university and PLJ might be on his last chance. 

It’s nice that the U21 rule provides playing time for younger players, I just hope that a few guys who weren’t ready for the big minutes this year will get a chance to work their way up the ladder still.

2 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

They can always go to New Zealand to get playing time😎.  Agree some of them could still develop in the right environment.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

6 hours ago, T_Bison said:

All good amigo - I probably snapped back a bit too harshly. I agree Galvis was weak but I think we had other fish to fry first.

Where did you hear those whispers?

WFC is notorious for giving GMs & coaches long leashes although Gale is definitely on the hot-seat this year. I could see him gone mid-summer if the team isn't very good again.

Is this true? Dave Ritchie and Mike O'Shea are the only head coaches since Cal Murphy to get more than three seasons, and they've had several during that time last less than two.

Edited by jonovision

6 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Gutierrez - keep. When played in the proper role he was one of our better midfield options.

Muenkat - cut (they did). By the end of the year he offered a bit more than mindless running, but not a lot more.

Galvis - cut. Had one good game, but his other appearances ranged from ineffective to awful.

Pena - keep. He's local and thus probably very cheap. Played left(?) back in a pinch, and seemed actually to run with a purpose.

17 hours ago, jonovision said:

Is this true? Dave Ritchie and Mike O'Shea are the only head coaches since Cal Murphy to get more than three seasons, and they've had several during that time last less than two.

Yes, although Doug Berry and Paul LaPolice both got 2.5 seasons or so. However, the GMs have been in their roles a lot longer:

Kyle Walters - 2013 to current

Joe Mack - 2010-2013

Mike Kelly - 2009

Brendan Taman - 2004-2008