Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Valour - 2020 Season Thread

On 2/7/2020 at 9:55 AM, top cheese said:

So what is the status of Thomas? I assume if he was returning he would be 3rd choice behind Soto and jean baptiste

Canadian centre-back Skylar Thomas is currently on trial with Pittsburgh Riverhounds in the , all but confirming his departure from @ValourFootball
, which I reported a couple weeks ago.

CPL player tracker still showing Thomas' status as "not updated". Ten Valour players in total are still shown that way: Farago, Janssens, Thomas, Ohin, Galvis, Peña, Galan, Paolucci, Musse, Attardo.

Four players re-signed so far: Garcia, Le Bourhis, Gutierrez, Carreiro.

Eleven not returning so far: either released or signed elsewhere.

And six new signings: Antwi, Fordyce, Jean-Baptiste, Aird, Levis, Soto.

https://canpl.ca/article/cpl-off-season-roster-tracker-whos-in-and-whos-out-for-2020

Edited by Lofty

13 hours ago, Lofty said:

CPL player tracker still showing Thomas' status as "not updated". Ten Valour players in total are still shown that way: Farago, Janssens, Thomas, Ohin, Galvis, Peña, Galan, Paolucci, Musse, Attardo.

Four players re-signed so far: Garcia, Le Bourhis, Gutierrez, Carreiro.

Eleven not returning so far: either released or signed elsewhere.

And six new signings: Antwi, Fordyce, Jean-Baptiste, Aird, Levis, Soto.

https://canpl.ca/article/cpl-off-season-roster-tracker-whos-in-and-whos-out-for-2020

I would guess Farago & Janssens is due to waiting to get the transfer of Pantemis from IMFC. Thomas will be gone, and I would guess the rest have multi year contracts

10 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Bye-bye Janssens. :(

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

I'm guessing he'll be a benchwarmer with Aird & Fordyce there.Hopefully he's on a couple year contract so that next year he can step into a starter role.

Maybe it's me, but Gale seems to really be able to recruit young talent well. If the older players can take a leadership role this could work.

12 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Should have been nicknamed Dracula given how he reacted to the sight of a cross coming in from either wing. There's more to goalkeeping than saving penalties.

I wasn't thinking penalties actually. I felt he was a superior goalie overall.

Moses Dyer completes Valour's complement of seven foreign players:

Janssens (BEL), Galan (ESP), Paolucci (ITA), Antwi (GHA), Jean-Baptiste (HAI), Soto (PAN), Dyer (NZ).

In order to bring in the rumoured second Haitian centre back, someone would have to leave. My guess would be Paolucci.

Does anybody else find this "signed ... to a contract" a very wierd turn of phrase? I mean, what else would a player be "signed" to? It's a bit like saying "I was walking on my legs to the store".

What is wrong with "Valour FC have signed midfielder Moses Dyer"?

54 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Janssens (BEL), Galan (ESP), Paolucci (ITA), Antwi (GHA), Jean-Baptiste (HAI), Soto (PAN), Dyer (NZ).

In order to bring in the rumoured second Haitian centre back, someone would have to leave. My guess would be Paolucci.

Agreed. Galan looks like he stuck around Winnipeg all winter so he's probably staying with the team. :)

1 hour ago, T_Bison said:

Agreed. Galan looks like he stuck around Winnipeg all winter so he's probably staying with the team. :)

Assuming Galan stays, the other international that could make way is Janssens. But I agree that he was the better keeper last year, not to mention that he is younger and has much more potential and was surely paid less than Farago.

Valour doing well filling their international places. Should be the easy job though. It will be much harder to find Canadians who have not heard what it is like to play for Gale!

3 hours ago, Lofty said:

I suspect Jansens will be gone 

Looks as though Moses Dyer hardly played in 2019. And for that matter didn't play much in 2018 either.

Edit: Actually, he apparently played 19 matches last year in Norway and scored 6 goals. Which is a very good scoring ratio for an attacking midfielder.

Edit: https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/5-things-to-know-about-moses-dyer

https://www.tablesleague.com/teams/floro1/moses_dyer/

I'm starting to think that Gale's strategy is to look for unrecognized talent. I'd say he did that successfully with Bustos last season but it is hard to do. Most of the time, the reason players are unrecognized is because they don't have talent.

~~~

A bit more on Dyer and his lone goal for the Kiwis:

Although Sarpreet Singh played a starring role by delivering two assists in another man of the match performance, it was the much-maligned Moses Dyer who was the unlikely saviour for the All Whites, coming off the bench to score his first international goal with just five minutes left to play.

"It's a very good feeling," Dyer said after scoring the match-winner. "Obviously not playing in the last two games I was pretty gutted so I knew I had to prove a point and show what I could do, which was score a goal in the moment.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/nz-teams/104543824/moses-dyer-the-hero-for-the-all-whites

Edited by Lofty

14 hours ago, Lofty said:

Does anybody else find this "signed ... to a contract" a very wierd turn of phrase? I mean, what else would a player be "signed" to? It's a bit like saying "I was walking on my legs to the store".

What is wrong with "Valour FC have signed midfielder Moses Dyer"?

Recently someone complained because I said I hoped Gent got a result vs. Roma, insisting I should say "a good result". Sometimes you use proper abbreviations and that is not good enough for some. Signed should be enough, you're right. 

Maybe the editor told him he had to write a minimum no. of words and he was short three, a lot of Canadian soccer journalism is very thin at best.

What I was going to say---Galán came through the At Madrid academy, he played for the C team when they had one, and one match for the B team as well.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

14 hours ago, Lofty said:

Assuming Galan stays, the other international that could make way is Janssens. But I agree that he was the better keeper last year, not to mention that he is younger and has much more potential and was surely paid less than Farago....

Would agree with that last bit but being better than Farago turned out to be doesn't set the bar very high. From what I saw neither of them were up to snuff and that was a significant part of what made the Valour such a dumpster fire last season. If Janssens isn't the projected starter they should get rid of him ASAP, if they still can at this point, because there's no point wasting an international slot on someone who will probably be sitting on the bench most of the time. Goalkeeping is an area where there should be serviceable Canadian options readily available for a backup role and the league also appears to make provision for emergency goalkeeper signings during the season.

Janssens was the better shot stopper and athlete, Farago displayed better judgment on things like corners and reading the play in front of him. Janssens' weak spots are areas that a young keeper will typically improve; Farago in his late 20s has in all likelihood has maxed out his potential. If the money is equal, I'd rather have Janssens back, although I take your point about backup keeper not being the best use of an international spot.

Agreed with Janssen being better the farago. But with pantimis coming in as a number 1 expecting to play the majority of games there’s no point wasting an international slot on a backup gk. Farago would be cheap or maybe they could look at someone like Roberts 

You can only have 5 internationals on the pitch anyway so I definitely see some leeway in how those international places are used. I have no problem with using one or two for promising youngsters. It will be fun seeing those players get better and move on to greater things too, especially if they end up bringing in a transfer fee.

You don't want to blow most of your budget on internationals; let's save a bit for good Canadian players to play at home.