Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Valour - 2020 Season Thread

6 hours ago, top cheese said:

So what is the status of Thomas? I assume if he was returning he would be 3rd choice behind Soto and jean baptiste

I heard he's gone. It would be nice if Valour would update the departures like every other pro club in the world.

6 hours ago, T_Bison said:

I gotta say I'm pretty happy with the revamped backline:

2019: Murrell, Mitter, Arguinarena, Thomas, Le Bourhis, & Garcia

2020: Jean-Baptiste, Levis, Soto, Geffrard/Thomas, Le Bourhis & Garcia

I am cautiously optimistic about Valour this year. I think the defense will be a lot better and will offset the offensive losses of Bustos & Petrasso. Right now I have York9, Forge & Pacific in the top tier, Cavalry & Valour mid-table and Wanderers, FCE & Atletico fighting over the wooden spoon.

Our backline looks stronger and we should be stronger in goal once Pantemis is announced.

Where are the goals coming from ?  Hoping to see at least 1 quality import striker.

Soto may well have been signed to provide depth at CB, rather than as a starter. You really do need 4 competent CBs in the squad, so along with Le Bourhis and Geffrard (if that rumour proves true) we are set.

Much better than last year, where I seem to recall that for the longest time we only had Thomas and Murrell and then Mitter was added somewhat late to still leave us short in that position. Which came home to roost when we were eventually forced to search out a 4th in the form of Le Bourhis.

1 hour ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

I heard he's gone. It would be nice if Valour would update the departures like every other pro club in the world.

What? And give everybody else a competitive advantage by letting them know who we have released in Feb instead of March? That would give them a whole extra month to plan their line up when they play us, which is no doubt dominating the thoughts of every CPL coach at this very moment!

This whole withholding of information thing is really starting to get on my tits. Maybe if Valour released information in a timely manner they wouldn't need to worry about getting scooped by independent reporters like Nef.

On 2/4/2020 at 10:53 AM, Blackdude said:

If I were to guess about the Haitian Centerback, I think that it would be Jems Geffrard. He's available since Fresno folded and was at the previous Gold Cup and would count as a domestic in CPL. 

Rumoured to have signed at HFX

2 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Rumoured to have signed at HFX

Yes, confirmed by Nef tweet on the HFX thread.

One CB still required then.

^ The fck ups video is the one that will tell you what you need to know about a defender! But I like what I see on that highlight reel. A defender who actually seems to know how to defend. Looking forward to seeing whether it holds true for a season.

Think he's going to get a kick out of IGF on the good nights (who doesn't?).  Going to be a bit fun at first but all the time he's going to have to spend on aeroplanes will get pretty old, pretty fast, I am sure.  Smallish latin community in Winnipeg, and very diverse, so shouldn't feel like he's landed on the moon.  Going to be an interesting year for the man. 

Looking very young back there.  Hope Jean-Baptiste has enough presence out there.  And yes, months from kick off and I'm already putting marshalling the line onto him.  

Edited by Cheeta

On 2/7/2020 at 9:28 PM, Lofty said:

Yes, confirmed by Nef tweet on the HFX thread.

One CB still required then.

It's possible that the second Haitian centre-back w/ GC experience rumour could still be true, there's a couple of guys other than Geffrard who could fit the bill:

-32 year-old Ligue 1 veteran Romain Genevois (2017 GC), who been out of contract since the summer awaiting "an interesting project," although he might be a bit of a stretch money-wise
-29 year-old Ricardo Adé (2013 & 2019) and 32 year-old Judelin Aveska (2009, 2013 & 2015) who both play in the Chilean Primera B

On 2/7/2020 at 4:37 PM, Winnipeg Fury said:

Our backline looks stronger and we should be stronger in goal once Pantemis is announced.

Where are the goals coming from ?  Hoping to see at least 1 quality import striker.

Frankly, I'm not really concerned about the goals per se. Bustos & Petrasso only had 11 combined last year meanwhile Attardo & Paolucci had seven. Add in Aird, Fordyce, Antwi, Waters, Campanile and a healthy Musse I think we actually upgraded the firepower.

55 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

Frankly, I'm not really concerned about the goals per se. Bustos & Petrasso only had 11 combined last year meanwhile Attardo & Paolucci had seven. Add in Aird, Fordyce, Antwi, Waters, Campanile and a healthy Musse I think we actually upgraded the firepower.

Bustos had 8 goals (7 League, 1 Cup) and 3 assists.

Petrasso had 6 goals and 5 assists.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your conclusion and I would add the rather prolific Charlie Waters to the discussion, but I do want to give Bustos and Petrasso full recognition for their contribution to Valour's attack last season.

Edit: Valour scored 31 goals in 2019 and either Bustos or Petrasso had a hand in 22 of them (ignoring the possibility that one scored and the other assisted on the same goal, which I can't be bothered to check). Which leaves 9 goals where neither were involved. Which I think illustrates how Valour were relying on too few players for their goals last season.

Edited by Lofty

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

Bustos had 8 goals (7 League, 1 Cup) and 3 assists.

Petrasso had 6 goals and 5 assists.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your conclusion and I would add the rather prolific Charlie Waters to the discussion, but I do want to give Bustos and Petrasso full recognition for their contribution to Valour's attack last season.

Edit: Valour scored 31 goals in 2019 and either Bustos or Petrasso had a hand in 22 of them (ignoring the possibility that one scored and the other assisted on the same goal, which I can't be bothered to check). Which leaves 9 goals where neither were involved. Which I think illustrates how Valour were relying on too few players for their goals last season.

I agree they were a huge portion of the attack, however last year Valour's offense was only ranked 5th. The god-awful FC Edmonton offense scored only 3 less goals over the entire season. In that light, the talent brought in in aggregate should outperform last years squad in total goals scored.

I believe more than half of Bustos and Petrasso's combined tally came from penalties. An average penalty taker would have converted at worst two but probably only one fewer than those two did.  Bustos and Petrasso were involved in drawing a few of those penalties, but not most (in my recollection). 

Edited by jonovision

Does anyone think Bustos and Petrasso are going to have poorer production in 2020 than they did in 2019?  I don't.  

Not bleeding cheap goals alone is going to go a very long way, but there is still no assurance that's not going to happen again this season.  We really are starting from scratch.  At least Gale now has a better idea what to expect from the other teams, the officiating,  and the league's style. 

Which brings me back to goal scoring.  Many a manager has seen their career wreck onto the rocks that are "we can do better for less" when it comes to goal scorers.  Improve your defending all you want, if you can't threaten the oppositions goal they're going to play you like you're no threat to their goal and 2020 will turn into a looong season of watching one way traffic at IGF. 

There's an identity for you.  Happy Monday!

1 hour ago, sting said:

Has anyone heard when the schedule is coming out?

Someone posted on another thread that they expected it this week. A few weeks ago I heard early Feb. I'm getting deja vu.

18 hours ago, jonovision said:

I believe more than half of Bustos and Petrasso's combined tally came from penalties. An average penalty taker would have converted at worst two but probably only one fewer than those two did.  Bustos and Petrasso were involved in drawing a few of those penalties, but not most (in my recollection). 

Bustos scored 8 goals including 2 pens.

Petrasso scored 6 goals including 4 pens and 1 "empty netter".

So, 14 goals total of which 6 were pens.

Just for fun (because I am a sick puppy) I looked up who "earned" the 6 pens. In order, it was:

Gutierrez (I think), Muenkat, Thomas, Carreiro, Petrasso, Bustos.

There was one rather striking thing these 6 pens had in common. Can anybody guess what it was without doing research? I'd give a clue but that would give it away.

Edit: So far as total output goes, the combined 8 assists are very important too.

Edited by Lofty

20 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Bustos scored 8 goals including 2 pens.

Petrasso scored 6 goals including 4 pens and 1 "empty netter".

So, 14 goals total of which 6 were pens.

Just for fun (because I am a sick puppy) I looked up who "earned" the 6 pens. In order, it was:

Gutierrez (I think), Muenkat, Thomas, Carreiro, Petrasso, Bustos.

There was one rather striking thing these 6 pens had in common. Can anybody guess what it was without doing research? I'd give a clue but that would give it away.

Edit: So far as total output goes, the combined 8 assists are very important too.

Is it possible that they were all scored at home and in fact all at the Trench end? I missed a lot of matches this year but I know I was in the stands for at least 3 scored from this situation.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Is it possible that they were all scored at home and in fact all at the Trench end? I missed a lot of matches this year but I know I was in the stands for at least 3 scored from this situation.

We have a winner! This is a great credit to the home crowd as, like it or not, the crowd does influence ref's decisions. I also remember us being denied a couple of absolutely blatant ones away (one at HFX on Petrasso I think comes immediately to mind).

Not all at the trench end though. The foul on Bustos was at the other end and perhaps others.

Edit: Actually, all of the first 5 were at the Trench end. Only the 6th and final one was at the other end. Good eye Jono and well done The Trench!!

Edited by Lofty