Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Valour - 2020 Season Thread

At least we have got someone trying to do some reporting.  But who were all the guys spouting the "upcoming" international roster rule changes??  I kind of try to keep a score card in my head....which guys  told me something for sure and were completely wrong eh??  The rush to be the first guy to break some rumor ends up making us all look stupid.  

32 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

"players leaving Valour to take their game to the next level"

Valour's best three players all leaving Valour to take their game to the next level -- in CPL!! 😂🤣😅

The spin doctor who came up with that line should get into politics!

56 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:
Gale’s taken a lot of heat this offseason, but he’s bringing players whose careers have stalled to Winnipeg and rejuvenating them. To me, their quick departures speak more to the problems caused by the lack of a GM figure. #CanPL

Isn't Gale the GM ?

I think Gale is Head Coach and GM so he (Platt) really means lack of an independent GM. Not sure what difference that would make. I guess an indepenent GM can focus his time on bringing in the right players although RG can't be doing much coaching at the moment so he should have time!

As for rejuvinating careers: Bustos, sure, but why does he want to leave after one season if things were so great under RG? That question needs to be answered honestly. But Petrasso and LBG both came from the fringes of MLS and are still in CPL, so no.

I don't buy Platt's conclusion.

Edited by Lofty

14 hours ago, Lofty said:

I think Gale is Head Coach and GM so he (Platt) really means lack of an independent GM. Not sure what difference that would make. I guess an indepenent GM can focus his time on bringing in the right players although RG can't be doing much coaching at the moment so he should have time!

As for rejuvinating careers: Bustos, sure, but why does he want to leave after one season if things were so great under RG? That question needs to be answered honestly. But Petrasso and LBG both came from the fringes of MLS and are still in CPL, so no.

I don't buy Platt's conclusion.

It's an absurd statement.  99% of clubs in world football have a sole manager and it isn't problematic.  Gale was able to use his previous time with the U20 team to attract top talent ... and they decided to leave him.  

Would Platt apply the same logic to any team having a bad season in English football?  Of course not.  

viMk-KjQ_normal.jpg
Canadian Premier League News UK

@canplunited
· 30m
My Power Rankings based on what we currently know

1. Cavalry FC
2. York 9FC
3. Forge FC
4. Pacific FC
5. FC Edmonton
6. HFX Wanderers
7. Valour FC
8. Ottawa

I suspect once Ottawa signs a few players, we will move to last place on the Power Rankings.
Right now I would put HFX over Edmonton, with EFC and Valour battling for the wooden spoon.
Ottawa excluded.  Impossible to rank them yet.

1 minute ago, top cheese said:

So what is the status of Thomas? I assume if he was returning he would be 3rd choice behind Soto and jean baptiste

With Geffrard rumored to sign, I'd say probably gone. 

I gotta say I'm pretty happy with the revamped backline:

2019: Murrell, Mitter, Arguinarena, Thomas, Le Bourhis, & Garcia

2020: Jean-Baptiste, Levis, Soto, Geffrard/Thomas, Le Bourhis & Garcia

I am cautiously optimistic about Valour this year. I think the defense will be a lot better and will offset the offensive losses of Bustos & Petrasso. Right now I have York9, Forge & Pacific in the top tier, Cavalry & Valour mid-table and Wanderers, FCE & Atletico fighting over the wooden spoon.

1 hour ago, Winnipeg Fury said:
viMk-KjQ_normal.jpg
Canadian Premier League News UK

@canplunited
· 30m
My Power Rankings based on what we currently know

1. Cavalry FC
2. York 9FC
3. Forge FC
4. Pacific FC
5. FC Edmonton
6. HFX Wanderers
7. Valour FC
8. Ottawa

I suspect once Ottawa signs a few players, we will move to last place on the Power Rankings.
Right now I would put HFX over Edmonton, with EFC and Valour battling for the wooden spoon.
Ottawa excluded.  Impossible to rank them yet.

I agree with you here. Only other change is I would switch Forge with York

On 2/2/2020 at 7:13 PM, Ansem said:

5 hours ago, top cheese said:

So what is the status of Thomas? I assume if he was returning he would be 3rd choice behind Soto and jean baptiste

Thomas is apparently gone. See above.

And I for one will be happy to see him go. Nothing personal, it's just that as Valour's first and highly trumpeted signing you just know he was on relatively big money which was far from justified by his performances on the pitch. Valour will get better bang for the buck with someone else which will in turn make the team better.

Edited by Lofty

4 hours ago, T_Bison said:

I gotta say I'm pretty happy with the revamped backline:

2019: Murrell, Mitter, Arguinarena, Thomas, Le Bourhis, & Garcia

2020: Jean-Baptiste, Levis, Soto, Geffrard/Thomas, Le Bourhis & Garcia

I am cautiously optimistic about Valour this year. I think the defense will be a lot better and will offset the offensive losses of Bustos & Petrasso. Right now I have York9, Forge & Pacific in the top tier, Cavalry & Valour mid-table and Wanderers, FCE & Atletico fighting over the wooden spoon.

Don't forget about a potential upgrade between the sticks too, in the form of Pantemis.

Defensively, Valour should be much stronger in 2020.

Edited by Lofty

9 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Don't forget about a potential upgrade between the sticks too, in the form of Pantemis.

Agreed - now that the MLS CBA is done I bet over the next week we see a ton of loans happen.

That being said, I like Janssens last year - I felt he was far and away better than Farago although Pantemis would be a definite upgrade.

Just now, T_Bison said:

Agreed - now that the MLS CBA is done I bet over the next week we see a ton of loans happen.

That being said, I like Janssens last year - I felt he was far and away better than Farago although Pantemis would be a definite upgrade.

Agreed. I'm hoping for Pantemis/Janssens in 2020. Assuming Pantemis is as advertised, that would be a strong duo.

57 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Hopefully the two Cb. Are much better on the ball then last season. Video of Soto looks as if he has some potential. They still need a backup lb to Levis to fill out the back line 

5 hours ago, top cheese said:

I wonder if this rumor was actually confused with the Soto signing 

I don't think so. Ryan Brandt tweeted about him earlier today. Soto isn't as big of a name as Geffrard and was unattached for 6 months. Also Geffrard would count as a Canadian, so it's a bonus for them.

10 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

I don't think so. Ryan Brandt tweeted about him earlier today. Soto isn't as big of a name as Geffrard and was unattached for 6 months. Also Geffrard would count as a Canadian, so it's a bonus for them.

His resume was not that strong.........was it a Norwegian third division side or second ?