Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Valour - 2020 Season Thread

I'm really impressed with the quality of the articles on the CPL website these days. Here is another good one on Marco Bustos' decision to leave Valour for Pacific:

https://canpl.ca/article/we-put-everything-on-the-table-bustos-chooses-pacific-after-agonizing-free-agency-decision

Not least of his old friends at Pacific, of course, is Pa-Modou Kah, newly-announced head coach.

“He was a mentor of mine in Vancouver when we played together at the Whitecaps,” Bustos told CanPL.ca on Friday. “He’s a really good friend of mine. He’s in his first head coaching gig, and we spoke on the phone a lot. He can bring the best out of me and vice versa, I can bring the best out of him. It wasn’t an easy decision, at all, but I felt like with his presence there in Pacific it made it a very intriguing place to play for me.”

Edited by Lofty

33 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Too bad for Skylar. I have always felt those were weaknesses in his game that would stunt his growth. Hopefully he finds a level were he can work on that and crawl his way back up the ladder.

Thomas had some good games for Valour but far too many mediocre and bad ones. Defenders have to be consistent. I got the feeling he wanted to play with the ball at his feet but the essence of defending is what you do when the OTHER guys have the ball at their feet!

Also, I have never before seen a professional footballer get so comprehensively beaten one on one. One moment he'd be jockeying and the next moment he'd be 5-10 yards behind. Astonishingly bad. And this in turn led him to give opposing players too much space, which essentially let them do whatever they wanted with the ball. Also very bad. And for a big man he was decidedly non-physical. Put yerself aboot lad! His better games were all when he got stuck in. I know this is entry level professional football but even so I know that Valour can do better.

Good luck to Skylar, I hope he works on those weaknesses and that a move works out well for him.

Edited by Lofty

A sign of the standard of the league or sign of the likes of murrell and thomas falling? 

These are players that we thought would boss the league. We thought this league would be there for those who couldn't quite make the MLS or found themselves homeless after European adventures that have drawn to a close. Has the league already surpassed our expectations and where do players like this go from here?

We do have a growing blanket of players that now how CPL/USL experience floating around if they are released. These players could be important for prospective CPL teams or helping younger/more inexperienced players grow at league one ontario teams or elsewhere. It should all have a positive knock on effect. 

16 minutes ago, toontownman said:

A sign of the standard of the league or sign of the likes of murrell and thomas falling? 

These are players that we thought would boss the league.

In the case of Thomas and Murrell, I think it was a case of not being as advertised. If I could have had 3 wishes for Valour for 2020 it would have been Murrell gone, Thomas gone, and add a proven goalscorer: someone who averages better than a goal every 3 matches. Now apparently 2/3 and still counting!

From what I have seen, I do think CPL quality will be better in 2020. With one season under its belt, credibility has increased substantially. And I have a growing suspicion that Valour will be better too, in spite of losing its 3 best players. RG seems to be trying to make us hard to beat and is adding some character with his signings, and that bodes well for 2020.

21 hours ago, toontownman said:

These are players that we thought would boss the league. We thought this league would be there for those who couldn't quite make the MLS or found themselves homeless after European adventures that have drawn to a close. Has the league already surpassed our expectations and where do players like this go from here?

We do have a growing blanket of players that now how CPL/USL experience floating around if they are released. These players could be important for prospective CPL teams or helping younger/more inexperienced players grow at league one ontario teams or elsewhere. It should all have a positive knock on effect. 

I thought it was interesting that Zajac did just ok, despite being in the Generation Adidas talk. Although I give him an early shout to really take over for Borges. 

Anyway, you would have thought these MLS draft picks with a lot of USL experience would be the foundation of the league. Glad to see it's been more of the academy/league one kids getting it done.

I'm a bigger Thomas booster than most, but by what logic would the club want Murrell back, but would be fine letting Thomas walk? Unless the money was wildly different between the two? I'm fine with Thomas leaving, but he was surely better than Murrell on the year.

Edited by jonovision

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I'm a bigger Thomas booster than most, but by what logic would the club want Murrell back, but would be fine letting Thomas walk? Unless the money was wildly different between the two? I'm fine with Thomas leaving, but he was surely better than Murrell on the year.

Word is he had one of the highest salaries of the club last season. 

Edited by Charlesmazzz
Spelling error

Valours cbs were slow bullied and poor on the ball last year yet they continued to try and play from the back 

le bourhis looked out of his depth last year and would be a 4th choice cb 

by my count this team needs two cbs, a lb, a starting dcm and acm, a lw, and another striker { two if pallucci isn’t back). That’s assuming the GK is on the way from impact. Lots of work to do with camp opening March or April I’d imagine

27 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

You have to wonder why they'd give a multi-year deal to someone with his resume...

May have had to do that to entice him to Winnipeg. At the time Valour were short handed and really struggling.

And I'm struggling to understand why they want to cut him loose prematurely. I thought he did well last season and when you pay off a player to leave early (presumably some percentage of the remainig contract value) it is money for nothing. Can you replace him with a better player with the balance saved by buying out his contract? Not likely. If you want to ship out a bad apple that is another story but I don't see that here.

Edited by Lofty

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

May have had to do that to entice him to Winnipeg. At the time Valour were short handed and really struggling.

And I'm struggling to understand why they want to cut him loose prematurely. I thought he did well last season and when you pay off a player to leave early (presumably some percentage of the remainig contract value) it is money for nothing. Can you replace him with a better player with the balance saved by buying out his contract? Not likely. If you want to ship out a bad apple that is another story but I don't see that here.

To me, he looked like a player with more footballing instinct and tactical know-how than anyone else in the Valour midfield, but was far too often a step late to a pass or a tackle, and these really restricted his effectiveness as a player. Those physical deficiencies aren't going to be any better next year as he moves even further into his mid 30s. He also had a poor discipline record for an experienced player.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

To me, he looked like a player with more footballing instinct and tactical know-how than anyone else in the Valour midfield, but was far too often a step late to a pass or a tackle, and these really restricted his effectiveness as a player. Those physical deficiencies aren't going to be any better next year as he moves even further into his mid 30s. He also had a poor discipline record for an experienced player.

Jono, if we ever get on the same page with any player I'm gonna buy a lottery ticket!

Anyway, I would argue that the things you mention above (bolded) still provide significant value to a group of mostly inexperienced young players. It is exactly that kind of seeding that is needed to bring them on. (And I think in spite of his weaknesses Galan was an effective player for Valour.)

Giving him a two year contract to entice him to Winnipeg and then trying to renege on it after one year is a bit dickish. They knew how old he was when they signed him. I thought they were trying to build a club culture based on " no dick heads". Or is that only supposed to apply to the players?

Edited by Lofty

I like Galan.  For Christ's sake hold onto the man.   

Not to sound like a broken record but, like so many others last year, he looked less valuable when pushed outside his comfort zone (as say, something of an attacking mid).  What is more, he may be the sort of fellow with a pedigree that you want to have around for a post playing career.  Yes, that makes him an investment but we, and by "we" I also mean Valour, desperately need that sort of investment in footie in this community. 

Not to sound disrespectful to some of the gold out there working with Winnipeg's up and comers, but there just isn't enough quality coaching/mentoring talent to go around. Never has been. 

Gale talked a lot last year about identity and culture.  They'll need to bring something to the football community to qualify those words.  And he seems a pretty good candidate, from the outside at least.  A new face, in a Valour kit, with no shortage of creditability. 

Valour got him to come to Winnipeg.  Don't let him get away!  Something worth giving a think.   

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Gamage and Nef are probably the 2 best independent guys covering CPL. 

I disagree. I think Gamage lacks a sense of 'even-handedness' in his articles to the point he comes off as biased against Valour. Nef is often right but his 'rumors' are often things which are pretty obvious, are flat out wrong (which he then deletes) or click-bait.