Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Valour - 2020 Season Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

He clearly lost the locker room last season.  Hopefully RG has learned from his first year coaching.  

I must confess, I like all his signings this season.  They should all produce, with the possible exception of the kid from Ghana, who I think may be a bit of a question mark. 

But he has lost a ton of quality Canadian and local talent and his imports last season were simply not good enough.  

We still have lots of roster to fill out.  I haven't written the team off this season.  With some good signings and hoping RG learned some hard lessons last season, we may even challenge for mid table. 

 

"Challenge for mid table". That is an expression I have never heard before. "So, how did the season go?". "Really well, we WON mid table!" If RG's job was to manage expectations it is mission accomplished!  😭

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The situation is fine apart from Rob Gale.  The man's personality is just irritating and I'd imagine that he's a nightmare to play for at club level.  Players like Petrasso, LBG and Bustos were surely pissed at Gale's stubborness to constantly throw out a makeshift backline and throw players under the bus.  Who wants to play for someone who is incompetent and then blames you?

I actually like Rob, I'm just not too keen on the results he has been getting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lofty said:

"Challenge for mid table". That is an expression I have never heard before. "So, how did the season go?". "Really well, we WON mid table!" If RG's job was to manage expectations it is mission accomplished!  😭

Hey speaking of mid-table, I once bought this lamp for my nephew, who’s a big Spurs fan. I told him that the lamp would look perfect in the middle of the table. He didn’t find that funny somehow. He made some unwanted comment about Valour.

image.jpeg.b41e582457a4021a7ed6b8f68cd5963f.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, IAmPappy said:

Hey speaking of mid-table, I once bought this lamp for my nephew, who’s a big Spurs fan. I told him that the lamp would look perfect in the middle of the table. He didn’t find that funny somehow. He made some unwanted comment about Valour.

image.jpeg.b41e582457a4021a7ed6b8f68cd5963f.jpeg

Excellent banter!!  😂😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I'm sure Gale will snap on anyone who says otherwise but....

Petrasso + Bustos >>>>> Levis + Aird.  

The biggest addition Valour has made so far is to the back line and losing Adam Mitter.

Echo that.  ☹️

Not to make excuses for anyone but I don't think circumstances allowed us to see the best of anyone who played for Valour in 2019.  For a variety of reasons.  Allowing those two to get away may begin to look really, REALLY, bad as we progress into the season.

Cautiously optimistic about Aird but my opinions of the man may be out of date for 2020.  Think he might be a good fit for this league and he, at least, has something resembling two feet, which is one more than Bustos so..

No idea what Levis brings.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Annnnd...

We have a 'keeper yet or should the Wee Elf kit up?

We have that Impact keeper on season long loan. Better resume than either of last year's keepers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Is Ali Musse signing ?

In training camp last year, he often looked like one of our best.  Had a couple of injuries last season and just never got on track.  He's another local talent and the kind of player I would expect us to have on our roster.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jonovision said:

We have that Impact keeper on season long loan. Better resume than either of last year's keepers. 

While I think Pantemis will be better, saying he has a better resume than Farago is a bit of a stretch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

While I think Pantemis will be better, saying he has a better resume than Farago is a bit of a stretch

Ah he has Cmnt experience and MLS while farago looked like he should have been playing men’s league last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, top cheese said:

Ah he has Cmnt experience and MLS while farago looked like he should have been playing men’s league last year. 

He has no MLS experience. He has been to CMNT camps with no playing time. 

Farago has 41 professional games (according to Wiki) compared to Pantemis' 2 games with FC Montreal and I think 2 games in the Voyageurs Cup last year.

Like I said, I think Pantemis will be better. But Farago has the better resume

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Is Ali Musse signing ?

In training camp last year, he often looked like one of our best.  Had a couple of injuries last season and just never got on track.  He's another local talent and the kind of player I would expect us to have on our roster.  

I believe Ryan Brandt said he (probably) still signed to Valour.

6 hours ago, jonovision said:

We have that Impact keeper on season long loan. Better resume than either of last year's keepers. 

Neither keeper lit it up last year but Janssens was significantly better than Farago. Farago was the *ONE* local player I was hoping would depart this season. I don't want a Pavelec situation here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have there been any rumblings of a Georges Mukumbilwa loan to Valour?  I think it was rumoured last year but never came to fruition. It would be nice to see some of those Whitecaps players given loans as they have so many but nowhere to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Have there been any rumblings of a Georges Mukumbilwa loan to Valour?  I think it was rumoured last year but never came to fruition. It would be nice to see some of those Whitecaps players given loans as they have so many but nowhere to play.

I was thinking that as well or maybe they have plans to send him to there usl team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

I think @top cheese is referring to FC Manitoba in USL2, which has no affiliation with Valour.

Nope doesn’t the whitecaps have a usl team like whitecaps ll or something I could be wrong. 
 

that fc Manitoba is a joke. Valour should have purchased that teams rights 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, top cheese said:

Nope doesn’t the whitecaps have a usl team like whitecaps ll or something I could be wrong. 
 

that fc Manitoba is a joke. Valour should have purchased that teams rights 

Whitecaps 2 hasn't been around since 2017

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing with Bustos is that he is a good (but not great) CPL player who is also a Winnipegger. My priority is a winning team but a winning team with more Winnipeggers on it is better. But you can't twist someone's arm.

I note that he played 16 matches and scored 1 goal for OKC in USL Championship and my understanding is that he was riding pine in relative USL obscurity when Gale brought him home.

A loss for Valour to be sure but no player at CPL level is irreplaceable so I'm shedding no tears for this one; it is more the bigger picture mass exodus that has me concerned. But with that said, I'm quite happy with what Gale has done so far in terms of replacements and am particularly happy that he seems to have significantly strengthened at the back.

So, best of luck to Marco at Pacific, and I'll certainly cheer him when they visit,  but I think his shortcomings are likely to come home to roost sooner rather than later.

Edit: To answer Kurt's question about how much Bustos' departure should bother Winnipeg fans: a little, but not too much.

Edited by Lofty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lofty said:

The thing with Bustos is that he is a good (but not great) CPL player

...

A loss for Valour to be sure but no player at CPL level is irreplaceable so I'm shedding no tears for this one; it is more the bigger picture mass exodus that has me concerned

...

Edit: To answer Kurt's question about how much Bustos' departure should bother Winnipeg fans: a little, but not too much.

I rate him higher than you.  League pretty much had him figured out by the Fall Season and was still target marking him in numbers when he was on the ball.  Don't think he'll see quite the same thing playing on the left coast.  We've lost our best players to the competition and I think they are all going to have  a stronger year in 2020.  Not because they are better players one year on, but because they're going to be in better playing environments, have more that chance to show their real quality.  Good for them, bad for us.  

2nd part couldn't be truer.  Salary cap and roster size rules handicapped Gale's ability to get his room out of trouble last season.  Least that's what I'd be saying.  Point still stands though.  Loud & clear. 

3rd bit.  He can change a game in one play and did it more than once last season.  Ask again on Canada Day and I'm sure some people will have a different answer.  I hope I do.  ☹️

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jonovision said:

Now that Murrell has officially signed elsewhere, I'm beginning to wonder about Thomas. I, for one, hope to see him back as part of an improved back line.

Sources in Winnipeg suggest that Skylar Thomas will not be back this season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...