Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Valour - 2020 Season Thread

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Wearing that t-shirt in public is definitely not the smartest thing to do as a Dundee United player. Think he probably wasn't able to deal with being let go by Rangers and was still looking for some of the adulation that goes with being a Rangers player. Hopefully returning to Canada helps him get back on track again.

Isn't GPB Govan Protestant Boys though? A sectarian marching band? groups known for quite a bit of violence/harassment of Irish folks?

Now obviously a lot of Rangers fans are Protestant, and there's a long history of sectarianism with that regard, but how 'normal' would it be for a Rangers player to openly attend Orange marches and affiliate with groups like GPB? Seems a bit taboo even for a Rangers player??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 6:49 PM, The Real Marc said:

Football forgives almost anything so long as you produce. So when you hear football politics as a reason for a player’s decline, that’s a definite alarm. Sidelined at Rangers once in the second tier and not more than a year at any club since, including United where he had a two year contract. Hope he turns it around and makes the most of the Rangers cache.

See the last page of this thread.  Wearing which shirt that supports which religion to which parade and how that affects the fans of the club is a great example of crazy football politics.  I dont think his play has gone downhill all that much, but if the fans are giving him stick over this baloney, I can see the manager stop playing him because he doesnt want the hassle.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You mean like bad decisions... to say he doesnt feel 1% CDN while signing for a CDN club, knowing the CDN fans will hear it?? OOPPS, that was Cavallini, so its ok.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 6:49 PM, The Real Marc said:

Football forgives almost anything so long as you produce. So when you hear football politics as a reason for a player’s decline, that’s a definite alarm. Sidelined at Rangers once in the second tier and not more than a year at any club since, including United where he had a two year contract. Hope he turns it around and makes the most of the Rangers cache.

Somehow Marc's original point seems to be getting lost: if you are tearing it up on the pitch you won't get dropped/released because you wore the wrong t-shirt.

Aird seems to have bags of potential so let's hope he tears it up for Valour and gets his career back on track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

You mean like bad decisions... to say he doesnt feel 1% CDN while signing for a CDN club, knowing the CDN fans will hear it?? OOPPS, that was Cavallini, so its ok.  

Yeah those are not remotely comparable. Regardless, if you read the Scots boards you’ll find that this isn’t the only knock against him - sure, it’s just fans, but it’s strangely negative, both on and off the field.

I hope he’s a success. I hope he’s on to an MLS club or better after he’s done in CPL or rips up the league for years. We all know Valour could use it. But let’s not pretend we’re getting someone at the height of his career or that had better football options than a summer in Winnipeg. (And if he was a product of the Greenock Morton academy, we’d probably be not so excited.)

That said, all the best to him and to Valour this year.

Edited by The Real Marc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently signed but not announced. (Via neff) Gale also mentioned others are signed but they are timing the release of those names so it gives them more of an advantage with agents and against other teams when they dont know what positions they need. 

This has already been posted but quotes in here that better explain my ramblings. https://canpl.ca/article/not-in-a-great-rush-gale-plays-coy-but-confirms-more-signings-for-valour?fbclid=IwAR2pM0CZOmAsrTG0B5uYx0YcODI_5j5SFGFndfYm4eG-zAo0S5lpJO6peNA

Edited by toontownman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

...but how 'normal' would it be for a Rangers player to openly attend Orange marches and affiliate with groups like GPB? Seems a bit taboo even for a Rangers player??

Nothing hugely out of the ordinary 30 or 40 years ago for Rangers players and also those from other clubs to attend or participate if they were from the communities where this was a big part of the local culture. No cellphones back then. Doing it now is asking for a tabloid headline. Scottish society is a lot less Unionist than it used to be with the rise of the SNP. Also, should probably be mentioned that there are similar marches and bands on the Celtic side of things as well and the same sort of comments are applicable.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice article on Charlie Waters (Sep 2019). I am expecting him to be signed by Valour after being drafted and keeping in mind Valour's void up front. A very high scoring rate although the recent ACL injury must be a concern.

...

At the time, the Blackpool, England, native was coming off a successful 2017 season with the club, where he scored eight regular season goals and recorded 12 points in 11 contests.

...

In an interview with the Cape Breton Post earlier this month, Capers head coach Deano Morley spoke highly of Waters’ return to the team’s lineup. 

“I’ve been around the CIS and U Sports since 2004 and he’s the best striker I have ever seen play in Canada at the U Sports level,” said Morley. 

...

https://www.capebretonpost.com/sports/local-sports/capers-charlie-waters-returns-to-the-pitch-after-missing-entire-2018-season-with-torn-acl-356833/

Edited by Lofty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waters is a very good young player. Great finisher. Offers a lot more then artardo. Campbelle should be signed to.

the two cbu players they drafted last year should have been given a better opportunity 

Edited by top cheese

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It's kinda crazy to read anything but positive things about a 17/18 year old who just scored 6 goals in 20 matches for his hometown.  

One of our few Bright spots last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tyler Attardo is still very raw. Great in the air and has a natural goalscorer's instinct, which cannot be taught, so there is great potential there. But he is very far from being the finished product.

He needs to be working with a coach who can bring out that potential and it needs to be happening NOW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rob Gale was just on TSN 1290 Radio. Says there will be a "Major" signing announcement tomorrow of a Canadian International. Said there are 2 others signed that they are waiting to announce. Seems to add up to the 4 that were mentioned on here last week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Rob Gale was just on TSN 1290 Radio. Says there will be a "Major" signing announcement tomorrow of a Canadian International. Said there are 2 others signed that they are waiting to announce. Seems to add up to the 4 that were mentioned on here last week.

James Pantemis or Brett Levis?  Neither are capped but I'd imagine in Gale's world of hyperbole that doesn't matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Lofty said:

Tyler Attardo is still very raw. Great in the air and has a natural goalscorer's instinct, which cannot be taught, so there is great potential there. But he is very far from being the finished product.

He needs to be working with a coach who can bring out that potential and it needs to be happening NOW.

Needs to be in a youth team somewhere to support his development. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, top cheese said:

Curious to see who this massive signing is. I assume that gale is not referring to Levis or the pantermis loan. 
 

maybe it’s Kianz FRose ? Local winnipeger 


 

 

Great call - would be a win-win for both.  As it stands Froese won’t be able to break back into the NT at the level he’s playing in Germany.  Even though it’s likely higher than CPL he needs to get back in the spotlight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Great call - would be a win-win for both.  As it stands Froese won’t be able to break back into the NT at the level he’s playing in Germany.  Even though it’s likely higher than CPL he needs to get back in the spotlight. 

Just thinking local and he would slot into lbg position

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...