Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Valour - 2020 Season Thread

Recommended Posts

If no one cares about Cav and his comments, Aird giving it to the Celtic fans should not even cause a ripple of excitement.  I am pumped to see him on board officially, he has shown some abilities both with Rangers, Van and the national team.  It was only last winter when he was getting player of the month in the scot championship and had all those assists for Dundee united.   Dont shoot me, but I can see him being very useful rampaging up and down the wing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I agree, but he's going to have to take a bit more seriously than did Haber, injuries aside. A few very average CPL players with some success in Scotland on their resume.

True. Aird needs to have his head screwed on right. It won't be a cakewalk over here.

The type of player Aird is and his age profile lead me to believe he will have more success than Haber.

A year ago I thought Haber would be one of the best CF in the league though, so shows how much I know ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think Aird has the potential to dominate the CPL. Great signing and he should more than fill the hole left by Petrasso.

Wow. That is an emphatic vote of confidence. I certainly hope you are right and I am wrong!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Wow. That is an emphatic vote of confidence. I certainly hope you are right and I am wrong!

I have a good feeling about him in the CPL. I think he is more of a threat from distance than Petrasso and he has just as much pace and directness, perhaps even more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No doubt they are different players with different problems but I am very hopeful if not excited with Aird.

I think Valour fans will love him and he will be buoyed by that. He works tirelessly and wears his heart on his sleeve. He has slight air of a villain about him (from oppositions perspective) in terms of not being afraid to show his loyalty, fight for the colors but also wind other players up. Other teams and fans will love to hate him but valour fans will cherish him.

Could be a big year for him if he grabs the chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lofty said:

Fraser Aird comes to Valour from Cove Rangers in Scottish League Two: Average attendance so far this season 795; capacity 2,602 (370 seated).

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/avesco.htm

His career seems to have been on a steady downward trajectory and I'm pretty sure that year-one CPL was better than Scottish League Two. I see this as more of a depth signing and not exactly one to be trumpeted as a "player with National Team experience"! If Valour are counting on Fraser Aird to be an attacking force in CPL then Valour's year-two will look much like year-one.

I don't see where you've gotten the impression that his career has been on a "steady downward trajectory" as he has spent the bulk of his career playing in the Scottish Championship (5 seasons), versus 1 in League One, 1.5 in League Two and 1 in MLS. In the Scottish football pyramid, his career has gone tier 4-3-2-2-2-2-2-4. He played a lot less for Rangers in his two years there in the Championship, but has been a top player in the league since leaving.

Moreover, his unstable club situation has been primarily due to braindead Scottish football politics, not his quality of play. So really, until this past summer his career on the pitch has been on the upswing. And Cove Rangers are a club with a lot of money and are currently en route to successive promotions, so it's not crazy that he decided to sign there, particularly since it seems he was planning to come back to Canada anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Valour still has a lot of work to do even with the addition on these players. They still lack a lot of depth and now with bustos leaving have a lot of gaps in the creative department. Let’s hope this 4th signing is another prominant player. And that the remaining international slots are used wisely. Hopefully they’ve been looking at some of there depth signings as mls academy players 

Aird is a big upgrade over petrasso. I think one of the issues he’s had was mnt and the white caps trying to turn him into a rb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Zem said:

I don't see where you've gotten the impression that his career has been on a "steady downward trajectory" as he has spent the bulk of his career playing in the Scottish Championship (5 seasons), versus 1 in League One, 1.5 in League Two and 1 in MLS. In the Scottish football pyramid, his career has gone tier 4-3-2-2-2-2-2-4. He played a lot less for Rangers in his two years there in the Championship, but has been a top player in the league since leaving.

Moreover, his unstable club situation has been primarily due to braindead Scottish football politics, not his quality of play. So really, until this past summer his career on the pitch has been on the upswing. And Cove Rangers are a club with a lot of money and are currently en route to successive promotions, so it's not crazy that he decided to sign there, particularly since it seems he was planning to come back to Canada anyway.

Glasgow Rangers --> ... --> Dundee United --> Queen of the South (Loan) --> Released --> Cove Rangers.

Each move less desirable than the previous one.

I should really have said "recently on a steady downward trajectory".

But I am encouraged by what others have said above. I'm sure he will turn out to be better than I initially feared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Football forgives almost anything so long as you produce. So when you hear football politics as a reason for a player’s decline, that’s a definite alarm. Sidelined at Rangers once in the second tier and not more than a year at any club since, including United where he had a two year contract. Hope he turns it around and makes the most of the Rangers cache.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 3:21 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Anybody who watched the Scotland vs Canada friendly at Easter Road in Edinburgh is unlikely to doubt his potential. It's not just the ex-Rangers tag that keeps his career afloat.

Agree on the potential.  But that friendly was also a few years ago now and things have not gone well from him as he has been through quite a few SPFL Championship sides on loan.  Hope things work out well for Fraser. 

Also Cove Rangers to Valour FC may be (on the surface) a little damning on either his career or the current level of play of the CPL.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Agree on the potential.  But that friendly was also a few years ago now and things have not gone well from him as he has been through quite a few SPFL Championship sides on loan.  Hope things work out well for Fraser. 

Also Cove Rangers to Valour FC may be (on the surface) a little damning on either his career or the current level of play of the CPL.   

A little over a year ago he received a player of the month award for the second tier in Scotland:

Suspect the real issue people had with him is stuff like the Govan Protestant Boys flute band photographs that appeared on twitter:

rather than his ability to play the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

A little over a year ago he received a player of the month award for the second tier in Scotland:

Suspect the real issue people had with him is stuff like the Govan Protestant Boys flute band photographs that appeared on twitter:

rather than his ability to play the game.

Well, if a move gets him away from the sectarian nature of the west of Scotland, then that's good.  It's one of the things that is so immature but persists for no good reason other than to antagonize; hope he doesn't viscerally react when Valour goes away and a bunch of Celtic supporters show up to troll him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

A little over a year ago he received a player of the month award for the second tier in Scotland:

Suspect the real issue people had with him is stuff like the Govan Protestant Boys flute band photographs that appeared on twitter:

rather than his ability to play the game.

Oh god... that's really terrible. I suspected with what caused his release, but this is very concerning. I really hope it was out of pure immature ignorance, but he's from Scotland right? Surely he knows the significance of this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wearing that t-shirt in public is definitely not the smartest thing to do as a Dundee United player. Think he probably wasn't able to deal with being let go by Rangers and was still looking for some of the adulation that goes with being a Rangers player. Hopefully returning to Canada helps him get back on track again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...