Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Valour - 2020 Season Thread

I agree with some others that Valour will miss Petrasso, but that they also missed him for a good chunk of last season because he couldn't stay healthy. That has been a bugaboo of his at some of his other professional stops and not likely to go away as a diminutive player running around on FieldTurf. If Valour can find a player with three quarters of his talent but better durability I'd be happy with the exchange.

Sacramento, LBG, Paolucci and Petrasso out the door and Bustos still a question mark.  Have I got that right?

Appologies lads, I must have mixed up the lists I placed in the  "Must Keep" with the "Ditch Now" envelopes that I planted on Gales desk October last. 

I know I keep preaching patience, things can turn 180 degrees seemingly out of the blue but geez, getting a bit nervy here.   

36 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I think you put Paolucci in the wrong envelope.

I dunno Jono, what was it, 3 goals and a couple of assists, including a game winner against York and a go ahead goal against Pacific; and also the assist on LBG's blockbuster. All in around 14 matches or so. Not prolific but also not bad for a thirty-something striker. I think it is fair to say he had an impact and that is not even considering the top flight experience he brought to the squad. He was definitely in my keeper list.

3 hours ago, Stouffvillain said:

As a Y9 supporter I would agree with you. Telfer would be a net positive for Valour if that happened. Valour probably has the most money to throw at Telfer right now. I think Telfer is testing next level opportunities and until those are all exhausted he isn’t signing in the CPL. 

Also, as someone who watch Y9 miss penalty after penalty last year I will welcome Petrasso’s conversion rate from the spot. 

Telfer was a top CPL player but the fact he has been quickly released by TFC does not augur well for his chances elsewhere. Perhaps one of the bigger USL sides would give him a bigger pay packet although not a higher level of play. Or maybe Europe will provide him with the opportunity it does not seem to have presented Petrasso or LBG. But CPL is looking a lot better (at least for quality) than many people would have guessed, so fingers crossed.

Yes, Petrasso was 4/4 on pens and every one of them was unstoppable. It wasn't a case of "if only the keeper had guessed right". Superb penalty taker.

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

That is provided you get him on the pitch.

I really hope he gets back on track and consistently fit because there is no arguing he is a contender for league MVP. A season of consistent game time will see him pushing for an MLS recall. 

No-one wants to lose a player or petrassos quality but certainly in a scenario where Telfer replaced Petrasso at Valour, I'd be quietly content if I was a valour fan. Not sure I see that happening though. 

He is up there with Brett Levis for me on the sending good fitness vibes.

As much as I would like to agree with you, I suspect that CPL is his level.

9 hours ago, Lofty said:

I dunno Jono, what was it, 3 goals and a couple of assists, including a game winner against York and a go ahead goal against Pacific; and also the assist on LBG's blockbuster. All in around 14 matches or so. Not prolific but also not bad for a thirty-something striker. I think it is fair to say he had an impact and that is not even considering the top flight experience he brought to the squad. He was definitely in my keeper list.

The production was so-so, tailed off as his half-season went on, and he is not going to improve any at his age. Despite his impressive physique, his pace and athleticism were abysmal. I'm only speculating about wages, but I doubt he was at the lower end there either. 

14 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Maybe a couple signings coming for you cheese.  

Those three are pretty significant for this league. Still by my count they’ll still have to sign a number of attackers, and another starting cb, a backup lb, and probably another mf even if they resign bustos. But they do have a lot of international cards left. 

24 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Tissot? 

Would have thought he would be a centerpiece of the revived Ottawa team though. 

Maybe they will trade bustos for haber. Pacific fans can only dream.

Ugh. Might as well just bring Hoyle back.

7 hours ago, top cheese said:

Those three are pretty significant for this league. Still by my count they’ll still have to sign a number of attackers, and another starting cb, a backup lb, and probably another mf even if they resign bustos. But they do have a lot of international cards left. 

Valour's roster as of today:

image.png.42a5b0a459f1b6ca60c53d6457bae47b.png

Halifax are a few steps behind due to releases but have added some key pieces. 

Valour seem to be on their way again with announced signings and those apparently in the bag. 

Edmonton is lagging a bit behind. 

Calgary is a bit up in the air until they confirm who has re-signed. 

I am confident every team should be an improved version of their 2019 selves. York and Pacific look the closest to bridging the gap so far. Sure that will change in a months time when the squads are much closer to being solidified. 

Fraser Aird comes to Valour from Cove Rangers in Scottish League Two (Scottish fourth tier): Average attendance so far this season 795; capacity 2,602 (370 seated).

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/avesco.htm

His career seems to have been on a steady downward trajectory and I'm pretty sure that year-one CPL was better than Scottish League Two. I see this as more of a depth signing and not exactly one to be trumpeted as a "player with National Team experience"! If Valour are counting on Fraser Aird to be an attacking force in CPL then Valour's year-two will look much like year-one.

Still, it is good that Canadian players now have a way to ply their trade at home. Best of luck to Fraser and here's hoping he can use this change to jump start his career.

Edited by Lofty

I wouldn't put too much into the fact he's coming from the Scottish fourth tier - that was likely a tide-over contract after begin released by Dundee United early this season. Definitely, though, this is a career restart.

Edited by The Real Marc

Fraser Aird was recently sacked by Cove Rangers for making the "wankers" gesture towards Celtic fans from the Rangers away end as Rangers won 2-1. Ho hum. I'm sure the Celtic fans were giving as good as they got. Should have known better but unlucky to be caught by the Sky TV cameras.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7837743/Fraser-Aird-SACKED-League-Two-Cove-Rangers-caught-camera-making-offensive-gesture.html