Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Valour - 2020 Season Thread

7 hours ago, Zem said:

This actually seems like a really great signing. He made four appearances for Haiti at the Gold Cup this past summer, including the win against Costa Rica, the win against us in the quarter-finals and the extra time loss to Mexico in the semi-finals. Clearly a player who's far better than his recent club history would indicate.

That international resume is actually extremely impressive for CPL. I can't judge his recent club resume as I'm not familiar with those leagues but my first thought is that I'm very pleased with this signing: not only does the quality seem to be there in spades but this also seems to fill a desperate need in the Valour squad: a big strong centre back who, as a bonus, chips in with a goal every now and then.

39 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

To be fair, nobody had any idea how good the CPL was going to be last year and nobody knew how the teams would gel. And frankly with Gale's experience with the youth teams he should have that eye for talent.

I don't think eye for talent was his problem last season. I was relatively happy with the overall quality of the 2019 Valour squad compared to the rest of the CPL. Too bad they were all effing midfielders, five foot two inches tall, 120 lbs dripping wet, max bench press 75 lbs, and got played out of position all the time!

Valour would have kicked ass in the HPL (Hobbiton Premier League).

You need to think about positions and size as well as talent when you are building a squad!

Edited by Lofty

Should have an eye......and I am not one of the guys calling for his head 24hrs a day.  BUT......if he starts running us merrily down the same path as last year..well fool me once. shame on you etc etc.  

32 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Looks like Sacramento will go Ireland

Should be a decent move for him, hopefully he can help Galway finally get re-promoted. Even if that doesn't happen, as long as he stands out in the First Division, he'll definitely get picked up by a Premier Div club.

Edited by Zem

Like the league in New Zealand, the second tier in the Republic of Ireland is very much a semi-pro level. Bit depressing if a player is opting for that in preference to CanPL, but guess he might be into using his soccer as a way to see more of the world.

I think the question is are guys like Sacramento and Simmons opting for those locales over CPL, is CPL just not interested, or are they realizing their career prospects are dwindling so why not have an adventure? Playing in the New Zealand equivalent of the Can PL, tier two Ireland and Slovakia...yikes.

Is she saying they are party people?

Edited by The Real Marc

More great writing on the CPL website; article on newest signing Andrew Jean-Baptiste:

“For me, it was more about how much the person making contact with me wanted me to come there. That’s what happened when I made contact with Valour. That was important to me because when you go to a team you want that sense of ‘want’ — that they want you in their lineup and part of the legacy they are trying to make. That helped in my decision.

“It wasn’t a sales pitch or anything by them. They had done their research and proper scouting on me. I give credit to their coaching and scouting staff for that. They knew the type of player I am and the kind of person I am."

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/jean-baptiste-looks-to-create-a-legacy-in-winnipeg

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Oh boy, here comes the avalanche of midfielders again.  

To be fair, I think those are two midfielders we would like to keep. Still lots of squad places available to fill the holes in defence and up front.

Based on resume, Jean-Baptiste looks like a significant upgrade on Mitter. With Le Bourhis already signed and assuming Thomas stays, we just need one more CB to be covered there. And another FB if Arguiñarena leaves, as I expect (assuming Murrell stays along with Garcia). And a better keeper or we will struggle again.

Up front, we need big help. Let's hope that USports Draft prospect Charlie Waters turns out to be as good as has been suggested. If Petrasso, Bustos, and Attardo all leave, that is 19 goals gone with them -- and we only scored 31 !

Fordyce Ready To Embrace Utility Man Role With Valour FC

https://northerntribune.ca/valour-fc-daryl-fordyce-utility-player/

"Over the last season, that’s probably the most versatile I’ve had to be at Sligo. I’ve played holding mid, attacking mid, tip of the diamond, number nine, so again it’s totally down to Rob and Damian. Whatever plan they come up with, whatever formation and system they want to play, I’ll do it to the best of my ability. "

Assuming he was on bigger money than most of the other players, Paolucci had to go. He simply wasn't productive enough, and even though he was a decent finisher, he didn't have the physical attributes in order to get into positions to score.

17 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Too bad about Arguinarena.  He was the best of our back line.  I would have kept him.

I suspect it was his decision. Apart from the alleged shambles in the dressing room, he doesn't speak English so Galvis was his translator. And if Galvis leaves, as is surely highly likely, that would have left Martin with a real communication problem.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Murrell and Arguinarena are not returning in 2020.

Surprised and pleased at the Murrell departure as, IMHO, he just wasn't good enough -- at CB or FB.

Took some guts for Gale to release him after making him Captain last season so this is a very positive sign that he is finally learning to recognize his errors and correct them, rather than stubbornly cling on to something that clearly isn't working.

Sad to see Arguiñarena go but overall I see this as a positive development for Valour.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Assuming he was on bigger money than most of the other players, Paolucci had to go. He simply wasn't productive enough, and even though he was a decent finisher, he didn't have the physical attributes in order to get into positions to score.

From a purely playing standpoint I would have liked to see Paolucci stay for the high level experience he had to share with the youngsters.

Not knowing what the cap space equation was, it is impossible to say whether he was "worth" it.

Petrasso: going, going, but still awaiting the official announcement.

I have to say, with Telfer being a free agent, if we ended up swapping one for the other I would be delighted. Not a knock on Petrasso, it's just that Telfer would fill a far greater need in the Valour squad: strong, tall, scores regularly from open play.

https://canpl.ca/article/onesoccer-former-valour-winger-michael-petrasso-joins-york9-fc

23 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Petrasso: going, going, but still awaiting the official announcement.

I have to say, with Telfer being a free agent, if we ended up swapping one for the other I would be delighted. Not a knock on Petrasso, it's just that Telfer would fill a far greater need in the Valour squad: strong, tall, scores regularly from open play.

https://canpl.ca/article/onesoccer-former-valour-winger-michael-petrasso-joins-york9-fc

As a Y9 supporter I would agree with you. Telfer would be a net positive for Valour if that happened. Valour probably has the most money to throw at Telfer right now. I think Telfer is testing next level opportunities and until those are all exhausted he isn’t signing in the CPL. 

Also, as someone who watch Y9 miss penalty after penalty last year I will welcome Petrasso’s conversion rate from the spot. 

That is provided you get him on the pitch.

I really hope he gets back on track and consistently fit because there is no arguing he is a contender for league MVP. A season of consistent game time will see him pushing for an MLS recall. 

No-one wants to lose a player or petrassos quality but certainly in a scenario where Telfer replaced Petrasso at Valour, I'd be quietly content if I was a valour fan. Not sure I see that happening though. 

He is up there with Brett Levis for me on the sending good fitness vibes.