Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Valour - 2020 Season Thread

What I am expecting to hear:

* Both Thomas and Murrell staying (apparently both are training in Winnipeg over the winter).

* Galan staying (he has a two year contract).

* Paolucci leaving (Gale's recent video saw him waffling about players with a two year contract and it still being necessary to have a good fit, and since Galan and Paolucci are the only two players on a two year deal (I think), the "good fit" part could only apply to Paolucci.

* Attardo leaving (I think he will be disappointed in how Valour used him last season).

* Sacramento leaving (ditto). 😭

* Farago staying (Gale stubborness -- he really isn't good enough and better options now exist.)

* Carreiro and Ohin both staying. Which would be good.

* Bustos, Petrasso, Arguiñarena all gone. Which would be bad. Very bad.

* Galvis gone (not good enough).

Which leaves: Janssens, Peña, Musse, Gutierrez. I'm not too concerned about Peña but I hope the other three stay.

Although, if Valour do bring in a keeper from the Impact as has been rumoured, my guess is that Janssens will be gone, unfortunately.

Edited by Lofty

3 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Or maybe Zorica is coming home to join Attardo at Valour😎

Good point. Likely other way around though I think he’s work his way through youth in Europe before going pro

13 hours ago, Lofty said:

That is a weird article. A rather sad attempt at humour.  I'm not surprised the author did not put his name to it. Don't quit yer day job mate!

I don't think I would want my name attached to that article either!

22 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Rumours circulating of Bustos to Pacific

Does that make sense? They have a lot of firepower as-is

14 hours ago, Lofty said:

That is a weird article. A rather sad attempt at humour.  I'm not surprised the author did not put his name to it. Don't quit yer day job mate!

You have covered your bases well there lofty 😜 

5 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

They got Andrew Jean-Baptiste. Not sure if he has Canadian citizenship.

wow, forgot about that guy. Looks like his career went on a bit of a downward trend, from MLS to 3rd division Sweden and he's just 27

1 hour ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

I don't think there's a team in the league that would not like to have Bustos in their roster.

Yes, but his main worth is the attack and Pacific is pretty loaded there. Plus they could be facing a cap crunch if they sign Bustos.

6 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

wow, forgot about that guy. Looks like his career went on a bit of a downward trend, from MLS to 3rd division Sweden and he's just 27

Maybe a good place to get back on the radar then? And if nothing else, 40+ games in MLS is nothing to sneeze at

I have no doubt RG is going to do everything possible to keep Bustos.  He brought him into the league,  he's a young local boy  and he's an iron man.  Plays 90 minutes every match, no injuries.  If he took the PK's, he would have challenged for most goals.

No doubt about it, he's our franchise player that the rest of the team needs to be built around.  We can't lose him, because there is no replacement.

1 hour ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

This actually seems like a really great signing. He made four appearances for Haiti at the Gold Cup this past summer, including the win against Costa Rica, the win against us in the quarter-finals and the extra time loss to Mexico in the semi-finals. Clearly a player who's far better than his recent club history would indicate.

Edited by Zem

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Still a better professional resume than Mitter.

Still could be a good signing, I mean I remember wanting TFC to pick him up after he was waived by Portland in the waiver draft. Just concerning that he didn't land anywhere besides 2nd division Malaysia or 6th division Spain with MLS starter on the resume.

Edited by yellowsweatygorilla

Trying to draw conclusions about a player's ability from their previous club level is a bit of a fool's errand, but you're right that the Malaysian and Spanish teams Baptiste was a part of were not at a high level. On the other hand, Baptiste was most recently playing in the Swedish third tier, the same level as York's Adjei and Forge's Achinoti-Jonsson, both useful CPL players in 2019. I'd be more concerned about Baptiste's paltry total of professional appearances since 2017, although one has no idea if he was healthy during that period.

Hopefully Gale and his boys have done a better job scouting and choosing someone that can thrive in CPL than some of the guys they brought in last year (and then they promptly went back to australia).  He should know what kind of guy he wants, and should have an eye for talent whether its from the swedish 3rd tier or L1O.  Otherwise lets move on to another guy.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Hopefully Gale and his boys have done a better job scouting and choosing someone that can thrive in CPL than some of the guys they brought in last year (and then they promptly went back to australia).  He should know what kind of guy he wants, and should have an eye for talent whether its from the swedish 3rd tier or L1O.  Otherwise lets move on to another guy.  

To be fair, nobody had any idea how good the CPL was going to be last year and nobody knew how the teams would gel. And frankly with Gale's experience with the youth teams he should have that eye for talent.