Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Valour - 2020 Season Thread

Socks blown off!

I know this one was reported. He should be a good depth signing and lockeroom addition but if he is starting that will be a worry. 

Hopefully some signings fans can actually get excited about are coming round the corner imminently. 

Should have released this after a better player was announced imo. 

Just now, toontownman said:

Socks blown off!

I know this one was reported. He should be a good depth signing and lockeroom addition but if he is starting that will be a worry. 

Hopefully some signings fans can actually get excited about are coming round the corner imminently. 

Should have released this after a better player was announced imo. 

He was a starter in more of a playmaking role in attacking midfield with Sligo this past year and was quite good. The League of Ireland has always compared well with the USL and NASL, so he could absolutely be a significant contributor.

He's a decent signing. I'm not necessarily thrilled about loading up on mid 30s internationals, but even if their physical attributes are diminishing (obvious especially with Paolucci this past season) they should at least bring some needed professionalism to the side. 

10 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

To be clear, I don't have 'internal' data beyond scouting data from the league if you're referring to the 'megapatch'. The game randomly generates it based on estimated average wage set by me.

If you're referring to the official SI Game's patch, while they have some internal information from the league, they do not have wage numbers. It's all set to 0 (ie. randomly generated) and so are similar to my megapatch except their average wage settings are a little different.

Huh - then I must be thinking of something else! Thanks amigo!

22 minutes ago, jonovision said:

He's a decent signing. I'm not necessarily thrilled about loading up on mid 30s internationals, but even if their physical attributes are diminishing (obvious especially with Paolucci this past season) they should at least bring some needed professionalism to the side. 

Looks like he's considered domestic. And maybe they're looking at slotting him or Galan back a bit more into a defensive role?

According to wikipedia, in his last 3 seasons, with FC Cincinnati, FC Edmonton, and Sligo Rovers, Fordyce has scored 4 goals in 52 apps. That is 1 goal every 13 matches.

In his last season, with Sligo Rovers, he scored 2 goals in 29 apps. That is 1 goal every 14.5 apps.

Not exactly prolific.

21 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:
#CanPL interest in Marco Bustos is very high, I've been told. He's expected to become the highest paid player in the league. Just not in Winnipeg.

Spoke to Rob Gale this morning. Talks with Bustos are ongoing. The two sides are still speaking and I wouldn’t count Valour out. Though my sources have said half the league has made serious enquiries. One rumoured club surprised me.

So if Bustos is expecting to be the highest paid player in the league and from what I understand he was not happy with his playing time with OKC, I guess we can say our league is quite far behind the USL.

Edited by sting

46 minutes ago, Lofty said:

According to wikipedia, in his last 3 seasons, with FC Cincinnati, FC Edmonton, and Sligo Rovers, Fordyce has scored 4 goals in 52 apps. That is 1 goal every 13 matches.

In his last season, with Sligo Rovers, he scored 2 goals in 29 apps. That is 1 goal every 14.5 apps.

Not exactly prolific.

I don't think he has to be. LBG was a central midfielder and it looks like Fordyce been employed as a central midfielder most of the past two years: https://www.transfermarkt.com/daryl-fordyce/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/35192/saison/ges/pos/7

52 minutes ago, sting said:

So if Bustos is expecting to be the highest paid player in the league and from what I understand he was not happy with his playing time with OKC, I guess we can say our league is quite far behind the USL.

Way to many variables to jump to that conclusion. 

4 hours ago, T_Bison said:

I don't think he has to be. LBG was a central midfielder and it looks like Fordyce been employed as a central midfielder most of the past two years: https://www.transfermarkt.com/daryl-fordyce/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/35192/saison/ges/pos/7

I sure hope not! But Valour have announced him as a forward not a central midfielder. I think the LBG comparison is perhaps not the best as LBG is clearly a defensive mid whereas Fordyce is categorized as an attacking mid. And even for an attacking mid I'd say those goal scoring numbers are poor, never mind as a forward.

Looks like another Calum Ferguson type signing to me, based purely on those scoring stats.

(I'd like to see my forwards scoring a goal every 3 matches or better, with 1/4 a bare minimum; and attacking mids scoring a goal every 5 or 6 matches, with perhaps 1/7 or even 1/8 as a bare minimum.)

I am sure he will contribute and more so in the dressing room. The stats aren't sexy but I trust those that have watched him over a stat sheet on goals and assists. 

With losing LBG and potentially Petrasso and Bustos this won't be the rebuttle or exciting signing fans want right now though. Hopefully they have something big up their sleeves.  

4 hours ago, sting said:

I'm sure you could find individual players to make that argument either way.

My take is that average salary is naturally a very good (albeit imperfect) indicator of level of play. And, from what I have read, on average CPL is probably a little bit stronger than USL. But I believe there are certainly some USL teams that pay quite a bit more than the CPL salary cap, so that the strongest USL teams are likely better than CPL while the weaker ones are worse.

So far as Bustos goes, he certainly owes Rob Gale a big "thank you" for resurrecting his career, as he definitely seemed out of favour at OKC. He is a fairly one dimensional player although he is quite good at what he does: dribbling past people and putting in good shots. But at higher levels defenders are not so easy to dribble past and if you keep losing the ball trying, that is a problem. Given his level of performance last season (pretty much tied with LBG for POTY) and the kicker (no pun intended) that he is a Valour hometown boy, it would be quite a SNAFU for Valour to be outbid for him by another CPL club.

4 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I am sure he will contribute and more so in the dressing room. The stats aren't sexy but I trust those that have watched him over a stat sheet on goals and assists. 

With losing LBG and potentially Petrasso and Bustos this won't be the rebuttle or exciting signing fans want right now though. Hopefully they have something big up their sleeves.  

So now you've made me almost bite my tongue off!

Will be interesting to see if he gets a coaching role as he has mentioned in interviews last year that he has done his badges and was looking to get into that side of things in a CanPL context. The absence of a U-20 team probably makes that more difficult in a Winnipeg context.

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

When the initial rumor came out about Frodyce, wasnt Albert Watson also involved??  

He would be another excellent addition to a leadership group

19 hours ago, top cheese said:

Key words with this player seems to be glue guy, leader, good in dressing room. Professional . Positive signing should be a solid upgrade in midfield. And be a veteran role model for the less experienced players. 

All great attributes but in the meantime I'm still wondering who will score the goals that win football matches!