Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Valour - 2020 Season Thread

Posted (edited)

"Forge also revealed that defender Bertrand Owundi, goalkeeper Quillan Roberts, and midfielder Justin Stoddart will not be returning to Hamilton next season."

"As for the departures, Roberts and Owundi represent the biggest across the league in this first off-season."

"Roberts, formerly with Toronto FC and LAFC, was widely seen as Forge’s no. 1 goalkeeper in pre-season before Triston Henry earned the nod for the Inaugural Game. From there, the 25-year-old Roberts backed up Henry, making eight starts and earning a call up to the Guyana national team."

"Owundi, a Cameroonian centre back, leaves Forge after playing a significant role in their title win. The 26-year-old played over 2,000 minutes across the Canadian Championship, Concacaf League and CPL. However, Edgar’s mid-season addition left the club with an additional centre back, leaving Owundi on the outs."

"Stoddart, 24, departs after making just one appearance for Forge after joining mid-season from Sigma."

https://canpl.ca/article/forge-fc-brings-back-david-edgar-drops-3-members-of-title-winning-squad

What do we think of Owundi and Roberts? (And Stoddart, although we don't have an obvious deficit in midfield.)

Edited by Lofty

Watching every game I found Owundi to be fairly inconsistent, some very good games and a lot of mediocre ones.  There was no faulting his effort or toughness but his ball skills weren't great, he almost always passed sideways or back, and was prone to a few careless plays most games.  I always felt a lot calmer with Edgar and Krutzen together back there, and found the ball moved out of the backfield much more efficiently.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Watching every game I found Owundi to be fairly inconsistent, some very good games and a lot of mediocre ones.  There was no faulting his effort or toughness but his ball skills weren't great, he almost always passed sideways or back, and was prone to a few careless plays most games.  I always felt a lot calmer with Edgar and Krutzen together back there, and found the ball moved out of the backfield much more efficiently.

So a massive upgrade then. 😁

(Thanks for the analysis.)

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

All the best to LBG

"The Wanderers have been very busy this off-season, as Béland-Goyette joins a long list of players who have signed for 2020, including goalkeeper Christian Oxner, defenders Alex De Carolis, Chrisnovic N’sa and Peter Schaale, and midfielders Scott Firth, Andre Rampersad, Aboubacar Sissoko, and Omar Kreim. Forwards Akeem Garcia, Alessandro Riggi and Ibra Sanoh have also signed."

https://canpl.ca/article/wanderers-sign-former-valour-midfielder-louis-beland-goyette

LBG was Valour's Player of the Year for 2019 IMHO. Great addition for HFX.

Edited by Lofty

The writing on the CPL website really is excellent at the moment. 

Solomon Kojo Antwi

Antwi’s journey to Winnipeg covers more than the almost-13,000 kilometres he travelled to get here over the holidays. He left his mother and his home in Elmina, Ghana when he was just nine years old to travel three hours northeast to the capital of Accra, where he lived with his sister. Not long after he was identified by Nii Odartey Lamptey of the Glow-Lamp Soccer Academy and moved there to attend school and play the game he loves.

https://canpl.ca/article/its-a-dream-come-true-for-me-antwi-thrilled-with-valour-move

Posted (edited)
#CanPL interest in Marco Bustos is very high, I've been told. He's expected to become the highest paid player in the league. Just not in Winnipeg.

Spoke to Rob Gale this morning. Talks with Bustos are ongoing. The two sides are still speaking and I wouldn’t count Valour out. Though my sources have said half the league has made serious enquiries. One rumoured club surprised me.

Edited by Winnipeg Fury

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:
#CanPL interest in Marco Bustos is very high, I've been told. He's expected to become the highest paid player in the league. Just not in Winnipeg.

Spoke to Rob Gale this morning. Talks with Bustos are ongoing. The two sides are still speaking and I wouldn’t count Valour out. Though my sources have said half the league has made serious enquiries. One rumoured club surprised me.

Maybe with LBG & Petrasso gone Valour will back up the truck for Bustos? He's someone who I would see as a centerpiece for a number of years to come.

And while Valour not spending to the cap is pretty well documented, WFC isn't exactly poor. They could pretty easily hit the cap if they desired.

Edited by T_Bison
Wanted to add something

Valor didnt spend up to the cap??  Even with bringing in Palucci, Le Bourhis etc??  

I hate to say it, but getting into a bidding war for Bustos isnt something I want them to do.  They have to be smart, spend the money wisely on CDN and get the right INT guys for CPL.  

12 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Valor didnt spend up to the cap??  Even with bringing in Palucci, Le Bourhis etc??  

I hate to say it, but getting into a bidding war for Bustos isnt something I want them to do.  They have to be smart, spend the money wisely on CDN and get the right INT guys for CPL.  

According to FM2020 CPL mega-pack, which leaned heavily on internal data from the CPL, Valour was something like $100K shy of the cap. I think only Forge & Cavalry spent to it.

I think you should a la Scheifele. Lock them in while young, use them as the face of your club, build around them. 

I have never seen any data on what anyone is getting paid in CPL so I think I would take FM2020 with a grain of salt.  I agree with locking them in, part of me wishes they do this with Attardo, but I think you also need to let those guys move on to bigger leagues if possible...and then reluctantly collect the 7 figure transfer fees.  

7 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

...Valour was something like $100K shy of the cap...

Have seen it claimed that the cap for players last season was 750k with a floor spend of 650k being mandated. There's also supposed to be scope for some double dipping with the coaching salary cap which may or may not account for the slightly higher 800k Thomas Nef number.

Let's assume that $800,000 is a reasonable estimate.

5 players at $50,000 = $250,000

5 players at $40,000 = $200,000

8 players at $31,250 = $250,000

5 players at $20,000 = $100,000

Means your starting line-up can be making $40,000 and more, any change in the cap of $100,000 would move the average up or down by $5,000.  Except for a few team I don't see USL paying much more.  Not too good at the lower end but these are your developmental players and amateur signings.

Bustos is an impact player, is a domestic, and potentially has the best years of his career ahead of him.  The optics of losing that type of local product BECAUSE Valour do not value his as much as a rival CPL team cannot be painted in any way, shape or form, as a positive.  At either the managmentl or corporate level.  

But I'd like to see you try.  NO ONE will ever take anything that dribbles out of your mouth seriously again. 

Everyone basically understands what CPL is.  It's a stepping stone on to grreater things.  Losing your key players to better opportunities is an accepted part of that reality.  It is what it is and will become a source of pride for the various organizations.  But losing key players to CPL rivals is not.  That is quite another thing.   

7 hours ago, Big_M said:

they gotta get gale out of there immediately

Not sure Gale is the villian here. 

Valour are set up as a not-for-profit and there are some pretty strick stipulations as to what that allows for and what that doesn't allow for when it comes to monetary stewardship and the liabilities that board members could potentially expose themselves to otherwise.  So in a way, Valour are financially handicapped by their structure regardless of how optimistic those involved may feel about their future potential.  They have to live in knowns and in the CPL of 2019 there were very few knowns. . 

There are advantages as well to be sure, but...it's a bit more complicated than just blaming an owner, or that owner's agents, for trying to do something on the cheap.

Now all that being said, note my post above.  It speaks to the importance of your priorities within whatever your determined player budget is.

There, clear as mud.

8 hours ago, T_Bison said:

According to FM2020 CPL mega-pack, which leaned heavily on internal data from the CPL, Valour was something like $100K shy of the cap. I think only Forge & Cavalry spent to it.

I think you should a la Scheifele. Lock them in while young, use them as the face of your club, build around them. 

To be clear, I don't have 'internal' data beyond scouting data from the league if you're referring to the 'megapatch'. The game randomly generates it based on estimated average wage set by me.

If you're referring to the official SI Game's patch, while they have some internal information from the league, they do not have wage numbers. It's all set to 0 (ie. randomly generated) and so are similar to my megapatch except their average wage settings are a little different.

50 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Not sure Gale is the villian here. 

Valour are set up as a not-for-profit and there are some pretty strick stipulations as to what that allows for and what that doesn't allow for when it comes to monetary stewardship and the liabilities that board members could potentially expose themselves to otherwise.  So in a way, Valour are financially handicapped by their structure regardless of how optimistic those involved may feel about their future potential.  They have to live in knowns and in the CPL of 2019 there were very few knowns. . 

There are advantages as well to be sure, but...it's a bit more complicated than just blaming an owner, or that owner's agents, for trying to do something on the cheap.

Now all that being said, note my post above.  It speaks to the importance of your priorities within whatever your determined player budget is.

There, clear as mud.

A rather spectacular piece of incomprehensible waffle. 😂

8 hours ago, Big_M said:

they gotta get gale out of there immediately

Gale has been thrown in at the deep end and based on what we have seen thus far, he is drowning. I nearly snorted tea out of my nostrils when I saw he had said "we are in the business of winning"!! But WFC don't care so long as they are selling enough tickets. If Valour pick up in 2020 where they left off in 2019, losing twice as often as they win, we should see attendance dwindle and that might spur a change.

In the meantime, I cling to the forlorn hope that he will start to recognize his many mistakes and learn from them. I hope he shows us something in 2020 but I'm not expecting it.