Match Thread: October 26, 2019 - Forge FC v Cavalry FC - Finals - 1st Leg

narduch

36 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Can Borges’ red card be appealed?  Absolute travesty if he is out of leg 2 for taking an elbow to the head and then reacting minimally.

That ref should not be allowed to do another match in CPL. Cant have that kind of officiating in the regular season let alone the Championship. The players should decide the game not some 'gun slinging ego driven' ref

What a match, it had a bit of everything , the ref was shocking , I don't know how he was chosen to do this match but he seemed out of his depth even before the cards! The crowd was the best it's been all year, this tie would have been so much better if Borges didn't have his penalty saved as THF was about to erupt! It's difficult to say how the 2nd leg will play out but I can't help but feel Forge have missed a chance to win the championship with 3 hit bars, a missed penalty and then a Red to about the only player that can score! It could have been worse, we almost expected an away goal after the Borges Red just because of the way the match was shockingly unfolding! It's still all to play for next week, Forge didn't"t concede and have shown they can score away from home, I think Cavalry are clear favourites to turn this around if I'm honest!

To add to my post match assessment I might add that this may well come down to coaching, can Bobby with 2 defensive stalwarts returning overcome the loss of a Golden Boot winner? Perhaps we will see a different system played by Forge to maximize the strengths of players available in a crucial away match!

48 minutes ago, gator said:

What a match, it had a bit of everything , the ref was shocking , I don't know how he was chosen to do this match but he seemed out of his depth even before the cards! The crowd was the best it's been all year, this tie would have been so much better if Borges didn't have his penalty saved as THF was about to erupt! It's difficult to say how the 2nd leg will play out but I can't help but feel Forge have missed a chance to win the championship with 3 hit bars, a missed penalty and then a Red to about the only player that can score! It could have been worse, we almost expected an away goal after the Borges Red just because of the way the match was shockingly unfolding! It's still all to play for next week, Forge didn't"t concede and have shown they can score away from home, I think Cavalry are clear favourites to turn this around if I'm honest!

The match really did have a bit of everything. My ears are still ringing from the singing. I brought 4 extras to the game and a great time was has by all. I would have taken a 1-0 win before the match, but it really does feel like a lost opportunity with so many big scoring chances not going in. No matter what happens in the second leg, this league has been brilliant. It has been a great year of soccer for Canadians on the field and in the stands. 

Wild game, rocking atmosphere, bizarre reffing.

Cavalry will come out with a lot more intensity at home and their slow-playing field suits their style of play more than ours.  Missed a ton of chances but not giving up any late away goals was huge.

Jay Wheeldon is a gutless hack of a player.

Looking forward to a great final.

I hate it when the ref is the story.

Borges missing the next leg is a bigger loss for Forge to overcome than the loss of Waterman for Cavalry (duh). Combined with the missed opportunities to get a few more goals and I think Cavalry has a huge advantage going into the second leg. 

Going in up a goal and not giving up any away goals is huge. If there is a coach who can figure out a way to do this in the CPL it is Smyrniotis though. 

2 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

That ref should not be allowed to do another match in CPL. Cant have that kind of officiating in the regular season let alone the Championship. The players should decide the game not some 'gun slinging ego driven' ref

Which decisions were egregious, exactly? The penalty was a penalty, and by my understanding of the rules, had to be red. Borges' was probably only a yellow (certainly no less than that), but you're asking for trouble by reacting that way in a match that's on edge (Wheeldon should have had a second yellow for play-acting in addition to the one he earned for his foul). I watched enough Valour matches this year to know there are plenty of much-worse officials in the regular rotation, particularly the 25-year old guy.

Edited by jonovision

I like Bobby Smyrniotis but if his voice isn' t hoarse this morning from taking a strip out of Clanachan he's not doing his job as a manager.  He's failing at it.  This is one of those times you take a card for the team, Bobby.  One of those teaching moments.    

The best player in the league, who's absolutely having his way with the opposition for 70 minutes gets clobbered on a 90-10 ball (which Borges got by the way, of course) and is then given the boot scrapper treatment is sent off for "kicking out"?  In a championship game.  On his home ground.  Have I got that right? 

The ref tosses Waterman for intentional hand ball in the box because he feels, and 100% quite right in my opinion, that the man was trying to be sly with "natural body movement" for the block but the same ref doesn't see through Wheeldon's blatant violent conduct?  Both incidents pub league nonscense he must have seen 1,000 times over the years.  Man...  

Cavalry lost in Hamilton but took out the best player in the league for the final match in this Championship.

Good job, CPL. 

clap-clap-clap-clap.   

Good job.

Don't know much about this ref, but there's always a problem with a certain type of keen to impress stickler who has never played the game themselves and is not able to see things from a player's perspective. Anyone who has played the game to a reasonably competitive standard should be able to see what Wheeldon was up to, but if you do things strictly by the book rather than by common sense then the end result is that he was able to goad Borges into the response that would take him out of the second leg. Suspect his older bro may have had a quiet word with him at half time about that.

13 hours ago, maccaliam said:

The match really did have a bit of everything. My ears are still ringing from the singing. I brought 4 extras to the game and a great time was has by all. I would have taken a 1-0 win before the match, but it really does feel like a lost opportunity with so many big scoring chances not going in. No matter what happens in the second leg, this league has been brilliant. It has been a great year of soccer for Canadians on the field and in the stands. 

This! The referee can take away our best player but nothing can kill the atmosphere created throughout the season and yesterday by the Forge fans, we have something special going on now right here in Hamilton and I'm looking forward to it growing next season! A special shout out to our drummers, these guys are good, that's a compliment coming from a bass player, the tradition of gathering in the concourse and providing a great rhythm to the singing and chanting after the match was something special, I can't wait for next season's kick off, hopefully we are unveiling the Championship Trophy then!