2020 Concacaf Champions League

4 hours ago, Stouffvillain said:

I would say the bullet directly below the one you bolded applies as the defenders arms were all over the place. 

For a defender Deliberate/not deliberate is still a consideration, and the statement that the player "made their body unnaturally bigger" also implies that they are times when the body is "made naturally bigger" 😎    If the ball had hit the Left arm then you have a very strong argument for handball.

Not saying that I necessarily agree with the call, just pointing out the considerations the referee crew would have used, it also appears that the Montreal defender may have blocked the assistant referee's view of the play.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

12 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

For a defender Deliberate/not deliberate is still a consideration, and the statement that the player "made their body unnaturally bigger" also implies that they are times when the body is "made naturally bigger" 😎    If the ball had hit the Left arm then you have a very strong argument for handball.

Not saying that I necessarily agree with the call, just pointing out the considerations the referee crew would have used, it also appears that the Montreal defender may have blocked the assistant referee's view of the play.

I've just had  watch of the highlights. 

Over the past few months, I've sat through several referee meetings where we discussed the new handball interpretations and watched many videos. Based on the Football Australia guidelines, I would not give that as a penalty. The ball hit the defender's right arm, which was below shoulder height and reasonably close to his body, in a natural position for a jumping player, and the ball came from an attacking header by a player very close to him. Had the ball hit the defender's left arm, which was well above his shoulder, it would have been a nailed on penalty.

7 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I've just had  watch of the highlights. 

Over the past few months, I've sat through several referee meetings where we discussed the new handball interpretations and watched many videos. Based on the Football Australia guidelines, I would not give that as a penalty. The ball hit the defender's right arm, which was below shoulder height and reasonably close to his body, in a natural position for a jumping player, and the ball came from an attacking header by a player very close to him. Had the ball hit the defender's left arm, which was well above his shoulder, it would have been a nailed on penalty.

This defender had no chance of winning the ball.  So in these instances should a coach instruct defenders to jump up with their elbows jutting out below shoulder height?  The ball was going on goal.. his arm wasn't on his side and it blocked it.  It's tough luck for the defender but even tougher luck for Montreal.  

On 3/13/2020 at 1:10 AM, CanadaFan123 said:

This defender had no chance of winning the ball.  So in these instances should a coach instruct defenders to jump up with their elbows jutting out below shoulder height?  The ball was going on goal.. his arm wasn't on his side and it blocked it.  It's tough luck for the defender but even tougher luck for Montreal.  

It would be incredibly risky to do that. It's a fine line between natural and unnatural, and every referee will interpret the guidelines slightly differently.

• 7 months later...
17 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

And now this article has been taken down.

My conspiracy theory. MLS is largely calling the shots and want CCL after MLS Cup is done. They thought that’s where they put it, but when that article was posted fans in the comment section pointed out that they will need time at the end of the season to play make up games for games that had to be postponed due to positive COVID cases. The league didn’t figure that out themselves when they negotiated the CCL restart dates, and now want to renegotiate with this in mind.

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Why are they going to play make up games after the seasons done? Figure out draft positions? That's a joke. Im really asking why play make up games after a season is done?

Because the games haven’t been cancelled or forfeited yet. Colorado is like 2 points out of a playoff spot and have played 5 fewer games than most other teams. Some have played 2 fewer games than most teams. It’s all messed up.

I have to say I am a bit confused by your confusion. What makes the season “done” in your opinion? The originally planned date? The revised plan was already scheduled to go beyond the pre-covid planned end of season. The NBA and NHL went WAY beyond their original planned end date. Did that make no sense too?

MLS just wants the season to be as fair as possible. I seriously doubt all teams will have played the same number of games before the playoffs start, but so far that is officially their goal.

5 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

they cant win the MLS spot. I think they only had that opportunity if they had won whatever that was that happened in Orlando 

The winner of the cancelled Supporters Shield is given the spot.  I don't know if it applies if it's a Cdn team though.

3 hours ago, MtlMario said:

The winner of the cancelled Supporters Shield is given the spot.  I don't know if it applies if it's a Cdn team though.

I really don’t think that is up for grabs for Canadian teams. They specifically mentioned for MLS is Back that Canadian teams could get the CCL spot for winning the tournament. They haven’t done so for the “supporters shield” spot. I assume it’s the same deal as every other year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...