2020 Concacaf Champions League

Solid game for Waterman I thought.  Piette with some great tackles and actually a few very nice passes to spring counters but unfortunately too many giveaways under pressure.  Brault-Guillard had an ok game but seriously out-muscled for the header on 1st Saprissa goal.  Tabla caught being a pylon on the second.  

Saprissa is a fun team to watch when they are clicking but the Impact were clearly gassed in the 2nd half.  To me it is a serious issue with this competition that MLS teams come in in preseason form.  No surprise there were 3 injuries.

Still, 2 away goals put Montreal in a decent position for the home leg.

OK, some thoughts.  Keep in mind literally the only time I see MLS teams is during the Cup Competitions so cut me some slack.

Wow.  Impact fans are going to have a grand time watching Diop if he gets any league minutes this year.  LOL, Holy fuck.  Where did you find this guy?

You know its going to be a hard test when your 1st competative fixture of the year is a CCL visit to Central America.  Lads looked gassed by the hour mark and ready for bed 15 minutes after that.  Don't know what the amenties are like at the "Estadio" but here's hoping it includes an 11 man hot tub in the visitors dressing room.

First impression was that last Saprissa goal was off side. 

Overall impression is Saprissa's defending can be insanely bad.  Quioto was looking to shoot the whole time on that 2nd Impact marker and still was never closed down appropriately.  Great hit, he took advantage of the opportunity but Geez, that was giving the man too much.

All in all Impact supports have to be happy.  Team faded out towards the end, badly, but the structure of this tourney is going to be a killer for the Canada/USA entrants at this time of the year.  It just is what it is.  But overall, when there was still some quality left in the legs for a team coming out-of-season they gave an impressive look.  To my eye anyway.

CAN'T WAIT until next week.   

1 hour ago, Stouffvillain said:

Bojan keeps sliding down the football ladder and at every stop he fails to live up to expectations. He should’ve done much better in the last 10/15 minutes. Two clear chances and he pissed them both away quite badly. 

I thought Bojan did a lot of good things but was completely out of gas at the end.  And since Henry had to use his subs early for injuries he wasnt the only one who had a let down in the last 15min.  Tough break, cant be helped but overall a good showing on the road.  Waterman and ZBG didnt look out of place in a big match.  

1 hour ago, Stouffvillain said:

Bojan keeps sliding down the football ladder and at every stop he fails to live up to expectations. He should’ve done much better in the last 10/15 minutes. Two clear chances and he pissed them both away quite badly. 

To be fair, I'm sure he was labouring towards the end (along with everyone else) but man, you CAN"T be surprised to be on-side.  Never.  Assume you are and protest like Hell if they call back the goal afterwards. 

3 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

..  Tabla caught being a pylon on the second. 

Tabla makes me want to through my laptop out the window sometimes.. I mean what an opportunity to come on for an injured Quioto and inject energy and impress the coach but instead he plays like HE's the most tired guy out there!! Both goals can be blamed in part on his ridiculously half assed tracking effort. If I were Henry I'd bench him for lack of heart alone. So sad. I have so much hope every time he gets a run out.. yet he shows so little intensity and desire to play for his team mates that I wonder if he realizes it's a team sport sometimes. Grr rant over. Here's hoping he can flick a switch inside of himself and light it up from here on out. 

Edited by saintjoes

ZBG also had a great goal line clearance in the second half. I missed big chunks of the game and was a bit distracted for other parts, so I didn't even realize he was on the field until part way through the second half, so I don't really have an opinion on his performance overall, but that clearance was quite good.

Tabla I saw come on the field and I felt like I didn't see him again after that. :(

OK. 

1st.  I want my money back.  2nd.  Congrats Impact.  Job done and things will improve from here on as players get into season.  3rd.  That's it.  That's all I got from tonight's "experience".

No, not true.  The Big Owe looked good.  Respecetable crowd, lays out is a bit helter skelter but the pitch looked nice on the broadcast.  Seemed to play a bit sticky?  Curious to hear what the players have to say about the surface.

Only saw the first half, but doesn't seem like I missed much. ZBG had a few nice drives forward. He also had a few give aways, though nothing that really put the team in trouble. Overall he must have had a good game if his first half was as goos as his second.

Happy for AJH, but no Tabla I see. Pretty disappointing he couldn't earn game time.

Tough loss for Comunicaciones, up 0-1 to Club America, then a red card and a penalty for America to tie 1-1, lost on kicks from the penalty mark 5-3.

For anyone who likes to bet on # of yellows in a game, Mario Escobar is refereeing the Los Angeles/Leon game tomorrow night, he is usually good for 5 to 6 yellows and often throws in a red.

Holy crap. Nobody has even mentioned this game from last night?

https://www.concacafchampionsleague.com/en/video/sccl2020-tigres-vs-alianza-fc-highlights

I watched the wrong game last night. The Montreal game was boring, but congrats on getting the job done.

The Tigres vs Alianza game that was happening at the same time is the game that in hindsight I should have watched. 23 minutes into the game Tigres was up 3-0, and 4-2 on aggregate. Then before the first half is even over Alianza get 2 goals to make it 3-2 and 4-4 on aggregate and Alianza ahead on away goals. Then after no goals in normal time in the 2nd half the 4th official says there will be 4 minutes of added time. In the 4th minute of added time Tigres gets a free kick deep in Alianza territory and the keeper goes up into the attacking penalty area to try to help the offensive effort. The keeper SCORED THE WINNING GOAL. Tigres through and the underdog Alianza is out.

This is rare, and really special.

23 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Tough loss for Comunicaciones, up 0-1 to Club America, then a red card and a penalty for America to tie 1-1, lost on kicks from the penalty mark 5-3.

For anyone who likes to bet on # of yellows in a game, Mario Escobar is refereeing the Los Angeles/Leon game tomorrow night, he is usually good for 5 to 6 yellows and often throws in a red.

Called that one as Escobar issues 8 yellows and a red as LAFC take the game 3-0 and the aggregate 3-2.    Seattle is the only MLS team eliminated as they go down to Kicks from the penalty mark to Olympia who eliminated Forge from the league.

• 2 weeks later...