Sign in to follow this  
narduch

Match Thread: October 16, 2019 - Valour v York9

Valour's last match was a solid 3-1 win over Edmonton at IGF, taking them to within one point of the Eddies in the Combined Table. Meanwhile, York's last time out was a 4-0 home thrashing of CPL Title contenders Forge!

This will be the fourth and final meeting between these teams this year, with the away team having a 100% record thus far. York knocked Valour into the Spring Season basement with a 3-1 win at IGF on the final day and here we are again, although there will be no basement for Valour this time. In the meantime, Valour have won twice in York to lead the series 2-0-1.

York's fantastic win against Forge lifted them a point ahead of Valour in the Fall Table, with 20 points from 16 matches, and 3 points ahead of Valour in the Combined Table. Valour's 19 points have also come from 16 matches and a loss would eliminate them from the race for third.

Official Preview: https://canpl.ca/article/preview-valour-fc-vs-york9-fc-match-93

Apparently Marco Bustos is playing against PFC today. Not sure where.

2 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

^ I hope he is in BC.

Y9 don't have a good record of putting back to back standout performances.  Great time to turn things around though.  

Valour have had the same problem. Number of back to back wins thus far: zero. Both teams coming off a win so bet the farm on a draw!

Valour Team News:
I suspect that Garcia is healthy again after limping off against Cavalry. Mitter is questionable after going off against the Eddies but he has had ten days to recover so should be available. Janssens may or may not be back but either way won't start. Rob Gale is throwing a bit of spin at the opposition by hinting that Beland-Goyette may be back this season but he can't fool us; LBG's fractured lower back will be given the next week and the entire off season to heal. Golubar and Arguiñarena are long term absentees while Sacramento and Ferguson have buggered off to New Zealand. Ohin serves the second of his two match suspension for gathering 8 bookings while Murrell returns from his one match ban for 4 bookings.

Will we see an unchanged team from last match? (Perhaps with Murrell in for Mitter (if less than 100%) or Le Bourhis.) The counter argument is that 4-3-3 worked very well against York last time and they would probably be delighted to see Tyler Attardo nowhere near the starting line up.

Projected Valour Line Up:
Formation: 3-4-3.
Goal: Farago;
Defence (R-L): Le Bourhis, Thomas, Murrell;
Midfield: Gutierrez, Galán, Carreiro, Musse;
Forward: Petrasso, Attardo, Bustos.

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

That was the best lineup y9 had put out all year and the best result. If they can keep telfer i think they could win something next season. 

There's no way Telfer wants to stay in the league, right?

I'm now officially an unbeliever. You only get one home thrashing per season. What a way to finish. Appalling. Two centre forwards on the bench and a right winger playing centre forward on the pitch was just another typical #GailFail.

#GaleOut

He simply isn't up to the job. Put him in the commentators' box where he can do what he is actually good at.

His failure at Valour is costing the team a lot of money. Winnipeg is crying out for a winner and opportunity knocks for Valour. And Gale is p!ssing it away.

1 hour ago, nolando said:

There's no way Telfer wants to stay in the league, right?

Man of the match.

But let us not forget that Farago, after making a fabulous early save, once again contrived to concede the winner at his near post. Another Valour player who is just not good enough.

I probably haven't calmed down enough yet, but some thoughts:

1. York were good. They played with energy and purpose, they harried Valour on the ball at every turn, they hustled up the pitch when they won the ball and back again when they lost it, and they won almost all of the 50/50 balls. Kudos.

2. Valour did none of those things. And that is what is unforgivable. #GailFail.

3. The team selection was a massive #GailFail. We tried Petrasso at centre forward earlier in the season. It didn't work. Yet here we are again, making the same dumb mistake and getting the same crap result. While two genuine centre forwards sit on the bench, including one who scored a brace the last time he played against York. York must have wee'd themselves laughing when they saw he wasn't starting. And of course Murrell was back in the team while two better defenders collected splinters.

4. At half time I could not help but think I was watching the Valour team from earlier in the season: the one that went eleven matches without a win. Right back to the same flaw of moving the ball sideways and backwards but never forwards at the crucial moment; and always looking for a pass instead of a shot. Shocking. And simply not good enough. #GailFail.

5. Murrell. Trying to outmuscle Telfer (I think) on the near touchline and being left in a heap on the ground after Telfer (I think) shrugged him off like a small child and strode towards goal with the ball was about as telling as it gets. And all Murrell ever did with the ball was pass it sideways and backwards. What was he doing on the pitch? #GailFail

6. Was that Peña's full debut? I think so and he did very well. Why have we not seen more of him this season? Wait, I think I know. #GailFail.

7. Skylar Thomas. Started well and when he is on his game he can make a lot of good interceptions and tackles. But when he is one-on-one he is an absolute liability. Case in point the penalty. Skinned so completely that when he tried to grab the York player he was GONE, but based on earlier minimal contact the York player decided to fling himself to the ground and the utterly incompetent ref bought it. Valour's first signing. Simply not good enough for CPL. #GailFail.

8. Marco Bustos. What a player. Hardly any help from his team mates but he still made things happen and single handedly found a way to get some shots on target. Kudos. (And as for #GaleFail, even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while).

9. That ref was the worst I have seen all season. So bad that I don't even know where to start. Actually, I do. Bustos bombing down the wing in York territory with the ball at his feet and one player to beat...and this useless ref calls it back 35 yards for a free kick to Valour. Appalling.

10. What a sh!t way to end the season. A loss is one thing but a home thrashing is quite another. And the manner of the defeat: another capitulation and regression to the mistakes evident earlier in the season. I guess we can now clearly see the team identity of which Gale spoke. Capitulation. #GaleFail.

11. Thank God that is over. No more home thrashings to look forward to in 2019. Time for a change. #GailOut.

Edited by Lofty