Nations League Standings after game vs. USA

Razcal

This win gives us about +17.6 points

El Salvador gets +5 for their win vs. St. Lucia.

So.. we are currently at...

5 - HON 1368
6 - CAN 1340
7 - SLV 1336
8 - CUW 1323

Panama and Mexico currently tied 1-1, we really want Mexico to win that game or things really tighten up.

Edited by Razcal

31 minutes ago, Razcal said:

If Panama wins tonight they get +18.6 points, if they tie they get 6.3

Giving them either a total of 1335, 1322 with a win or a draw.

Mexico just scored to go ahead 2-1.  Lets hope that holds up to keep things (relatively) straightforward in term of hex qualification.  

What happens if we win the Nations League group (if we tie or win the final game against the US)?  What’s the next round.  Is it possible for us to win home and away against the US and still not make the HEX?  The average punter is going to be very confused when they realize that this isn’t a World Cup qualifier.

Remaining matches in CNL for those battling for the Hex.

HON - Martinique (A), Trinidad & Tobago (H) 

CAN - USA (A)

SLV - Montserrat (H), Dominican Republic (H)

CUW - Costa Rica (H)

PAN - Mexico (H)

Scheduling a game after the US game in November may not be a bad idea.  

The Gold Cup loss to Haiti looks even worse now when I look at the Nations League standings.  No wins and only 2 goals for in 3 matches.

15 hours ago, Big Country Footy said:

What happens if we win the Nations League group (if we tie or win the final game against the US)?  What’s the next round.  Is it possible for us to win home and away against the US and still not make the HEX?  The average punter is going to be very confused when they realize that this isn’t a World Cup qualifier.

We head to the semi-finals of the Nations League with a draw or better and there is a chance for big points there in a couple games.  However, those are not until June,  just before ranking deadlines for the Hex, so lot else can happen.  

13 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

Remaining matches in CNL for those battling for the Hex.

HON - Martinique (A), Trinidad & Tobago (H) 

CAN - USA (A)

SLV - Montserrat (H), Dominican Republic (H)

CUW - Costa Rica (H)

PAN - Mexico (H)

Scheduling a game after the US game in November may not be a bad idea.  

The Gold Cup loss to Haiti looks even worse now when I look at the Nations League standings.  No wins and only 2 goals for in 3 matches.

I think 100% of our focus for that window should be on the USA game. If we get a result then friendlies are not needed. If we lose then focus on mapping out friendlies which give us a chance at the Hex for the remaining windows until Hex qualification is determined. 

3 minutes ago, king1010 said:

I think 100% of our focus for that window should be on the USA game. If we get a result then friendlies are not needed. If we lose then focus on mapping out friendlies which give us a chance at the Hex for the remaining windows until Hex qualification is determined. 

I would agree. There is the 2 game window in March and then again in June if we don't make it.  But if we do make it, the games in June are worth a lot more (and I think have no risk, see my question on the Road to Qatar thread).     

No friendlies in November! 

We need a single-minded focus on winning in Orlando. We don't need any distractions. No what-ifs. Just need to be on a mission to get that W at all costs. All or nothing mindset is required!

Win lose or draw, we can game plan for possible friendlies afterwards, depending on where the chips fall, but not before.

Edited by Obinna

This discussion kinda illustrates why there were only 17k at the game last night.  We could win home and away and still not make the HEX because one of our rival teamS schedules a few friendliest against higher ranked teams (that don’t have to field their best players) and game the coefficient up.  This qualification process is rotten to the corp.

1 minute ago, Big Country Footy said:

This discussion kinda illustrates why there were only 17k at the game last night.  We could win home and away and still not make the HEX because one of our rival teamS schedules a few friendliest against higher ranked teams (that don’t have to field their best players) and game the coefficient up.  This qualification process is rotten to the corp.

I dont think the average joe that might have pushed us up over 17k has any idea what nations league is or what a soccer coefficient is.  If you know that, you bought your tickets long ago and were probably at the game 2 hours early and getting autographs and pictures with the linesmen.  Having a few ads for the game on TSN or at a leafs game, MIGHT have helped.  

All of this gaming the coeffient talk just adds a lot of extra risk, especially if El Salvador and Curacao go and find similar opportunities, or if we lose during the semi finals, although there is no way to know yet what the point results for those matches would be. Realistically for the good of the program we should be focused on winning in November and then seeing how things shake out with the other teams and how they can do before we start figuring out what types of friendlies we may need to play

I'll admit, watching El Salvador barely being able to squeak out results in League B and then securing the Wins by looking like they got shot by a sniper is super f*cking tilting. 

Regardless, win in November, win some friendlies in January and March, then give it everything in the June semis of Nations League and we got this. 

One step at a time, the Americans players still have pride,  game in Orlando will be cagey!

14 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Regardless, win in November, win some friendlies in January and March, then give it everything in the June semis of Nations League and we got this.

January is not an official international break. We would have to be pretty desperate to need to schedule low coefficient matches without our top players.

I am not against a friendly in November. This window our game was at the end of the window, so any friendly would have to have been before the USA game and contribute to fatigue, risk of injury, and reduce the focus on the game that matters.

In the November window our game is at the beginning, so we don’t need the back half of the window to focus on what we just did against the USA. A game after the USA game wouldn’t be as risky as one in the October window, and I believe Herdman has said as much.

We shall see what happens.

12 hours ago, Kent said:

I am not against a friendly in November. This window our game was at the end of the window, so any friendly would have to have been before the USA game and contribute to fatigue, risk of injury, and reduce the focus on the game that matters.

In the November window our game is at the beginning, so we don’t need the back half of the window to focus on what we just did against the USA. A game after the USA game wouldn’t be as risky as one in the October window, and I believe Herdman has said as much.

We shall see what happens.

Having a similar conversation on a few threads, for me the risk would be having an emotional let-down coming off the US game, and against a "easy" team (and probably the only ones we could get at this point), that a draw would lose us 3 points and a loss, around 8.

But as you say we will see.