dpetzz

Shame on TSN and Sportsnet

If anyone was watching the ESPN2 feed of the match, they mentioned something regarding TSN and Sportsnet declining the option to show the game tonight. If that is true, both broadcastors should be embarrassed. Twenty years ago when each only had one tv channel and no ability to stream games on their websites maybe you could give them a pass but considering TSN showed multiple Euro qualifying games on their channels and website today, they should have put on this game. It's sad how TSN bends over to show MLS games (including some without Canadian teams) but can't support the MNT.

Ya i read on twitter OneSoccer offered the game to each of them and they declined. Shame because if it was on one of those networks(with some promos during nhl games) a lot more ppl would have watched live. 

Hope they run the highlights tho. 

Edited by king1010

4 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Ya i read on twitter OneSoccer offered the game to each of them and they declined. Shame because if it was on one of those networks(with some promos during nhl games) a lot more ppl would have watched live. 

Hope they run the highlights tho. 

How credible is that? Twitter is not exactly a top source. Why would OneSoccer pay for the rights to Nations League then turn around and hand over broadcast rights to their competitors? More likely the offer was give us x$ and we will release this game to you where x$ was a decent amount.

Edited by SirBobsaget

1 minute ago, SirBobsaget said:

How credible is that? Twitter is not exactly a top source. Why would OneSoccer pay for the rights to Nations League then turn around and hand over broadcast rights to their competitors?

The guy who made that statement also broke the rumour of the CPL (to much derision) 

He never said One Soccer offered it for free, just that they offered it. 

6 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Top story on TSN.ca right now

That single result may have ended the days of the CSA having to pay these networks to show games.  They'll be desperate to get the return game in Orlando

Problem is it took them way over an hour to post it on their social media and site....imagine if people in Toronto had to wait that long to find out if Matthews or Marner went to the bathroom today....they would be shut down

1 minute ago, king1010 said:

Ya i read on twitter OneSoccer offered the game to each of them and they declined. Shame

OK One Soccer we are interested..how much do you want...

dr evil GIF by Product Hunt

There is no doubt no soccer sports fans are scared in Canada. Now the CPL is here there is a pathway that was never there. Crazy Hockey and Football parents will start pushing kids to soccer after they see the cheaper option and the opportunities that now exist. I think Soccer has been suppressed for so long in this country and it wouldn't surprise me if people really want to know because its going to hit some sports hard. Not least the CFL.

TSN, Sportsnet or CBC need to get on the train before they get run over. 

4 minutes ago, SirBobsaget said:

How credible is that? Twitter is not exactly a top source. Why would OneSoccer pay for the rights to Nations League then turn around and hand over broadcast rights to their competitors? More likely the offer was give us x$ and we will release this game to you where x$ was a decent amount.

The announcers on ESPN2 said the same thing during their broadcast that the major networks turned it down

11 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Top story on TSN.ca right now

That single result may have ended the days of the CSA having to pay these networks to show games.  They'll be desperate to get the return game in Orlando

I just tweeted both TSN and Sportsnet asking about broadcasting next month's match. I think everybody else should, too.

1 minute ago, dpetzz said:

The announcers on ESPN2 said the same thing during their broadcast that the major networks turned it down

Again, they likely offered to sell it back over to the major networks at a price that didn't make sense such as 1 Billion Dollars as the Dr Evil gif above mentions.

Soccer Canada made their own bed when they signed the contract with MediaPro/OneSoccer. It's hopefully good for them long term because SportsNet and TSN are now competitors to their media partner. You don't take the money from MediaPro and then expect TSN and SportsNet to do advertising for their competitor by showing this game to drum up support for OneSoccer subscriptions. Broadcasters are not in the habit of showing programming that they don't have some control over. Maybe if they offered it for free, or did a time-buy.

19 minutes ago, SirBobsaget said:

Duane Rollins made the comment. Said his source was someone in position to know what was happening. 

Edited by king1010

11 hours ago, PaulV said:

Soccer Canada made their own bed when they signed the contract with MediaPro/OneSoccer. It's hopefully good for them long term because SportsNet and TSN are now competitors to their media partner. You don't take the money from MediaPro and then expect TSN and SportsNet to do advertising for their competitor by showing this game to drum up support for OneSoccer subscriptions. Broadcasters are not in the habit of showing programming that they don't have some control over. Maybe if they offered it for free, or did a time-buy.

I disagree. 

This shows how cheap and lacking in vision TSN and Sportsnet are. 

What do you expect from companies owned by 2 major Canadian telcos, the least innovative companies. 

Edited by narduch
spelling

Yeah, blaming Soccer Canada is completely wrong-headed IMO.  Here we have a broadcaster that was willing to put a comprehensive solution in place for Canada games, CPL, and a range of other games in what is reported to be a blockbuster deal, and we are going to criticize it because it fails to prop up two unimaginative sports networks that are basically giving up on soccer broadcasting in this country and are unwilling to pony up for the rights to key games?  

I think I am with the OP - TSN and Sportsnet bear the blame on this one.   

^^

LOL.  Echo that.

$10 or $1,000,000,000 it doesn't matter.  They're not interest.  From here to the World Cup Finals they'll be on the outside looking in.

Tonight was a God Send for OneSoccer and the 18,000 subscriptions that the CPL season ticket holders will receive in 2020.

You want a biggger laugh?  Watch the highligh window on TSN.  Perfect example of why some of the so-called sports networks are totaly outside their comfort zone when it comes to footie.  

12 years in the making!!!

Hey, *******, you have any idea how many times we've played the USA in the last 12 years?

Yeah, I didn't think so.  Stick to hockey if you think that'll keep you in business. 

Edited by Cheeta

18 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

You want a biggger laugh?  Watch the highligh window on TSN.  Perfect example of why some of the so-called sports networks are totaly outside their comfort zone when it come footie.  

12 years in the making!!!

Hey, *******, you have any idea how many times we've played the USA in the last 12 years?

Yeah, I didn't think so.  Stick to hockey if you think that'll keep you in business. 

Yeah, I chuckled at that as well. I think the US have scored an almighty 3 goals against us since 2007.

I hate all this "first time beating them since 1985" crap because we beat them in 1990 in the Three Nations Cup (which was the North American championship at the time before the Gold Cup started the following year) and also beat them in 1988 in the first leg of Olympic Qualifying (at the time it wasn't an U23 tournament but the full national teams) - but for some reason the American's have been able to whitewash those results as not counting. Well, they aren't going to be able to do that this time!

Very interesting that this morning the first article on both website is Canada's win. Ahead of MLB playoffs, Leafs and all other NHL news, big NFL trade, etc...

I could see one of the networks carry the return leg in November. Similar to Forge CCL run, when there is an obvious demand for it, then they will change their mind.

This is perhaps the most interesting topic coming out of these results.  OneSoccer obviously has an asset with increasing value and an option to "lease" that asset to a major network.  Sportsnet has divested of soccer more or less in the past year, and DAZN has pretty much taken over the landscape on the big 5 leagues.  TSN holds MLS asset, which has some value this year with TFC back in the playoffs. 

I have no doubt there are a ton of people at Sportsnet and TSN who would love to show these games - but as was the case with the EPL rights - somehow the ad revenue must have never met the levels needed to cover the cost of the asset.  I'd love to hear from more insiders on this, but the bigger question for me is something I asked when I first heard DAZN had entered the landscape:  how does this new model of specialized sports channels really help grow demand for soccer in Canada when these assets never get viewed on mainstream TV?

I feel the same about CPL - their media coverage has been piss poor this past year - and this doesn't help build coverage in other media, build demand for soccer etc.  Don't think I've ever seen reference to teams in mainstream news all year.  Or maybe I've missed it.  But naturally, Bell Media coverage in the Globe matches its own assets - so more hockey, CFL, basketball etc. And at the margins they will always support the things they own. 

does this mean OneSoccer needs to have an affiliate media partner in English and french media? 

I don't like social media but to spread the success of last night's result I am glad social media is as huge as it is. 

Regardless, in my opinion, going to look really bad on those "sports networks" as a hole if the next match isn't shown. The hype up to the next match will start pretty soon.

They took a big gamble in cutting their footy coverage, if the success of our CMNT happens, they are going to regret that decision big time.

This reminds me of UFC and the Ultimate fighter.  When the first TUF finale was such a success on regular cable it won over tons of fans and boosted all the future content that was payperview.  TSN/Sportsnet would still have  to pony up, but it might have almost been in everyones best interest if it had been a smaller price and it got on regular cable as a advert for Onesoccer, CMNT, CPL and CDN soccer at large. Just something for the networks to chew on before the return leg.  Its a shame more eyeballs werent on that game, could have won over a lot of young fans, turned them into lifers like Forrest, Devos and Hastings did at the gold cup.  

In Montreal, we ended up watching the ESPN feed because the bar was not set up for streaming and so could not show the OneSoccer stream.
Broadcast (cable) television still rules the roost for live sports.

41 minutes ago, spinrack said:

In Montreal, we ended up watching the ESPN feed because the bar was not set up for streaming and so could not show the OneSoccer stream.
Broadcast (cable) television still rules the roost for live sports.

where were you?  The Lion?

Never understand these types of threads. Broadcasters are in it for the money. If they don’t think they can profit off an event they won’t show it. Win more of these games, get more fans and the major networks will be on board.