Golden Boot

Cheeta

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Do we always need to be so totally fixated by what happens in England as if it is the only source of legitimacy in these matters? What the NHL and CFL do on this is what will probably be the more obvious comparison for a lot of the people involved with CanPL in ownership terms. I follow neither closely so have no idea if that's where they would have got this from.

I brought up the question because it was a league I could think of that has matches after the regular season is over. 

I thought it was a fair question because I do think the people running the league have a fair bit of influence from how things are done in England. 

For instance that rule about a suspended player serving their suspension a few matches later is straight out of the English leagues (or at least it was in the past)

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

So who do you think came up with the idea to have TFC start the Voyageurs Cup in the semis? The CSA? For sure they were lobbied by TFC. 

Even if they were "lobbied" by TFC, who has final say?

If this conspiracy theory is true (and that's a big if), then Canada Soccer would be wise to grow some balls and simply say no. It's their tournament FFS.

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

For instance that rule about a suspended player serving their suspension a few matches later is straight out of the English leagues (or at least it was in the past)

The suspensions are handed out by Canada Soccer, IIRC.

Bizarre how touchy some people can get over something like this when all I was doing was pointing out that there may be some other culturally relevant precedent that explains why they are doing it this way. Let's say they didn't include the playoff games and Malonga proceeded to score enough goals to overtake Borges then they would possibly have had a controversy to deal with. They probably should have got this nailed down along with the details of the playoff format before the season started rather than waiting until the season was almost over to announce it.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Bizarre how touchy some people can get over something like this when all I was doing was pointing out that there may be some other culturally relevant precedent that explains why they are doing it this way.

If that was all that you did than people wouldn’t have contested it. 

@admin Please give me a down vote option so I can stop responding to these endless attempts to antagonize 

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Bizarre how touchy some people can get over something like this when all I was doing was pointing out that there may be some other culturally relevant precedent that explains why they are doing it this way. Let's say they didn't include the playoff games and Malonga proceeded to score enough goals to overtake Borges then they would possibly have had a controversy to deal with. They probably should have got this nailed down along with the details of the playoff format before the season started rather than waiting until the season was almost over to announce it.

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Do we always need to be so totally fixated by what happens in England as if it is the only source of legitimacy in these matters? What the NHL and CFL do on this is what will probably be the more obvious comparison for a lot of the people involved with CanPL in ownership terms.

You answered a question, with basically the exact same question, just substituted one league for another. So I will say this. Probably the fixation with the English league is because Narduch knew they had promotion playoffs, and likely he knows (like the majority of Canadian sports fans) that the big 4 North American leagues (+ CFL) that give out awards for leading in a stat never include regular season + playoffs.

Ignoring the personal stuff and sticking to what's relevant, it's important to bear in mind that CanPL is not structured like England's league system. They chose to emulate a Latin American apertura and clausura plus playoffs type format, so the first port of call in a soccer context to see how Golden Boot awards get handled should probably be Latin America rather than Europe. First one I looked at chosen at random seems to consider all phases of the competition on that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Liga_Nacional_de_Honduras#Top_goalscorers

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On 10/20/2019 at 1:27 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

They probably should have got this nailed down along with the details of the playoff format before the season started rather than waiting until the season was almost over to announce it.

False assumption that they only nailed it down before they announced it.  Irrelevant in any case when the nail it down. The timing of their announcements is generally just around the moment of maximum relevance and impact for marketing reasons.  Nothing wrong with that in year one of a new league.