Golden Boot

Cheeta

https://canpl.ca/article/debate-whos-going-to-win-the-2019-cpl-golden-boot

https://canpl.ca/article/centre-circle-live-podcast-york9-madness-golden-boot-race-canmnt-talk-with-terry-dunfield

Worth a chat.

So Borges, Campbell & Malonga within a goal of each other and each with 2 matches remaining.  A few players 4-5 goals trailing Forge's Borges so while they'll have their chances to improve their individual numbers they've little to no hope of overtaking the man.

Borges in the lead and away to York next week then closing the regular season hosting Cavalry.  The weather could kill both these Ontario fixtures or we could have two autumn football matches you daydreamed about as a kid.  Never know what the Hell you're going to see from York so potential there for Borges to keep on keeping on but Cavalry is always a hard nut to crack.   Is Smyrniotis going to rest anyone for that final home match against Cavalry?  Probably not.  Doubt Forge's gaffer wants to go into the Championship home & away against Cavalry having been put to bed twice in the two weeks leading into the series by that self same team. 

I'll take a punt on Borges being good for a goal between the two matches.  Weather permitting. 

Malonga, and Cavalry's attack in general, is rolling these days isn't it?  Doesn't mean it's always rewarded the way it should be but lots of sparks start fires so yeah, man has a chance at this.  However...as mentioned above, away to Tim Horton and then home to the Eddies makes it sort of difficult to know what you're going to get.   Have my doubts about Cavalry's chances in The Hammer, regardless of what the weather holds but the season closer against Edmonton could be furious if Mother Nature stops punching Calgary in the face.  Another "however" though, Cavalry comes at the opposition from a few different directions so while the 19th October may be a long day for Edmonton it might not be an individually rewarding day for Dominique Malonga. 

Too risky for me.  For sure he'll have a chance to see out the season is style.  Not sure he'll be rewarded for the display though. 

Terran Campbell.  At Edmonton on Wednesday then hosting Valour, who also play Wednesday , 3 days later for a Saturday matinee.  So (BIG BREATH) both teams will be travelling to Van Isle to play the very last match of the 2019 Canadian Premier League season with Pacific's leading scorer possibly within striking distance of winning the Golden Boot, against an opponent who's show a willingness to play entertaining football against Pacific with a 3rd place finish in the Fall Season on the line for both sides.  EXHALE.  Not trying to over-hype the event of anything. 

Odds are stacked against Campbell, but they'll pay if he pulls it off.  Think I could find a shekel or two looking for a payday betting on the man winning the honours. 

Now watch all three of them get injured.

By the way, isn't it fantastic how different these players are?             

6 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Does yellow card accumulation really carry over to the final? Seems silly

Yes really stupid, the Championship is a separate competition and shouldn't be ruined by arbitrary yellow card accumulation over a full season.  Leading to top players not playing in final games of the season or taking deliberate yellows to avoid being suspended for the Championship.

I don't think MLS carries card accumulation over to the playoffs.

I'll take Campbell.  

I don't think there is going to be much scoring in the last Forge/Cavalry match.  The way those two play they don't rely too heavily on either Borges or Malonga to carry the load when it comes to scoring.

I think Pacific will close out the season strong and to do that Campbell will have to score.

I'm leaning toward Campbell as well.

Both Cavs & Forge will be resting some of their best in preparation for the finals, and their competition aren't known for giving up goals easy.

Pacific will be hard pressed to score on FCE (as all teams are), much like York, you never know which Valour team is going to step on the field. That's Campbell's chance to score a brace and take the Golden Boot for himself.

3 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Another decision from the league that I consider unsporting. They don’t seem to give a damn about equal opportunity 

I agree. 

A lot of us want the league to do well but some of the decisions are bonkers. Like how only 3 teams had a shot at CONCACAF League. Or the Voyageur Cup seeding 

However how does the English Championship handle its promotion playoffs? Do those goals count for the overall golden boot?

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

However how does the English Championship handle its promotion playoffs? Do those goals count for the overall golden boot?

No clue, but CPL is starting to feel more like a knockout tournament than a league with how awards are being treated. Is there any recognition for the best performers in the league, apart from entrance to the final?

3 hours ago, narduch said:

I agree. 

A lot of us want the league to do well but some of the decisions are bonkers. Like how only 3 teams had a shot at CONCACAF League. Or the Voyageur Cup seeding 

Both of these decisions were out of the league's control.  CONCACAF dictated which teams were eligible for entry into the CL tournament. There was a stipulation that the teams had to be in existence before a certain date. On that date only Forge and Valour had been approved and FC Edmonton already existed. The shitty Voyageurs format was CSA decision. My unfounded conspiracy theory is that TFC/MLS dictated a lot of it to reduce their own fixture congestion issues.

54 minutes ago, Lofty said:

I don't think there is any formal Golden Boot award in the English leagues. I could be wrong but I believe it is more of an informal thing that is mentioned in passing in the media. In Tier 2 and lower the importance is that it will make you a target for bigger clubs. Most people don't know who the top scorer is unless he plays for their club.

I am very ambivalent about many aspects of this first CPL season. On the Golden Boot you could make an argument either way. It would be a bit silly to have a "playoffs" Golden Boot when there are only 2 matches so do those goals just go unrecognized?

It seems as though top scorer over the entire season, including play offs, should be a "thing". Just playing devil's advocate here, I really don't know what is best.

The Premier League definitely awards a trophy to the Golden Boot winner. Mo Salah, Sadio Mane, and Pierre-Emerick Aubamayang all were presented trophies at the end of last season, as they finished on the same number of goals. 

Do we always need to be so totally fixated by what happens in England as if it is the only source of legitimacy in these matters? What the NHL and CFL do on this is what will probably be the more obvious comparison for a lot of the people involved with CanPL in ownership terms. I follow neither closely so have no idea if that's where they would have got this from.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

2 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Do we always need to be so totally fixated by what happens in England as if it is the only source of legitimacy in these matters? What the NHL and CFL do on this is what will probably be the more obvious comparison for a lot of the people involved with CanPL in ownership terms. I follow neither closely so have no idea if that's where they would have got this from.

We also don't need to be fixated what other North American pro leagues do especially ones that play a completely different sport.

But the NHL over does it with 2 trophies: Art Ross for player with most points & Maurice Richard for top goal scorer. With the CFL being a totally different sport, they have such no awards - a kicker would win it every time.