Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread: Oct 5, 2019 - Valour vs. Edmonton

Posted (edited)

Match is at 2:30 CDT (3:30 EDT) and can be watched live on OneSoccer.

Last time out for the men in Maroon was another defeat to the Cavs, this time 4-1 in Calgary courtesy of an epic late collapse that saw 1-1 turn into 4-1 in the last 5 mins. The Eddies last match was a 1-0 home loss to Forge so both teams will be looking for redemption.

This will be the 5th and final meeting this season and Valour lead the season series 2-1-1. After losing at IGF in what was the season opener for the Eddies, the Maroons have won and drawn in Edmonton and notched a 3-1 come-from-behind win at IGF. In fact, the only teams Valour have managed to beat at home so far this season are HFX and the Eddies.

This match will go a long way towards pruning the race for third in the Fall Season. Valour currently lie 5th with 16 points from 15 matches, tied on points with 4th placed Pacific and just one point behing 3rd placed York, who also have a game in hand. The Eddies sit 6th, a point behind Valour with 15 matches played.

Official preview: https://canpl.ca/article/preview-valour-fc-vs-fc-edmonton-match-86

No mention of exercising demons although I did think I spied a few today in their jogging shorts.

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)

Valour Team News: Gale's pre-game presser gave us info and clues, although I think he has been known to compromise the truth for the sake of the opposition, who are no doubt hanging on every word and basing their entire team selection and game plan on what he says. Sacramento is apparently still out; not surprising as hamstrings heal slowly. Beland-Goyette also unsurprisingly still out with a small lower back fracture and almost certainly gone for the season. Janssens has apparently not yet recovered from his mystery injury and Golubar and Arguiñarena are gone for the season. Which brings us to Garcia, who hobbled off against Cavalry. By the looks of it he would be questionable but based on Gale's comment about not having a full bench and a little arithmetic, he is out. Ohin and Murrell are both suspended for yellow card accumulation.

The defence is running on fumes; which can happen when you don't include enough defenders in your squad. The main question for me is RB: does Gutierrez drop back after quite impressive recent performances further forward or do we see Peña again? The good news is that there are lots of good options further forward and I'm going out on a limb to say we see Attardo at CF again, in spite of his dismal return of only two goals the last time he played there at York. I also think we see Petrasso back in the starting eleven. There are no excuses here, Valour can still put out a very strong team in spite of the absences.

Projected Valour Line Up
Formation: 4-3-3.
Goal: Farago;
Defence (R-L): Peña, Thomas, Mitter, Le Bourhis;
Midfield: Gutierrez, Galán, Carreiro;
Forward: Bustos, Attardo, Petrasso.

Subs (6): Artemenko, Galvis, Muenkat, Musse, Ferguson, Paolucci.

Edited by Lofty

Rain, 6 degrees, and a team thats been struggling all season.  Going to be lonely out there.  

Here's hoping Good Valour shows up.

Posted (edited)

Lots of moves forced by injuries and suspension. I'd rather see Attardo starting than Paolucci, but if Paolucci is in the XI, I'm glad Gale didn't also try to squeeze Attardo into the lineup. He has no business playing on the wing and offers little to the team from that spot other than some pretty consistent defensive effort. Hopefully he sees a good chunk of second half minutes at the striker spot.

Edited by jonovision

Valour MOTM: Skylar Thomas

I suspect many would give it to Musse and so would I except for that uncompromising performance from Thomas in the centre of the back three. Continually pressuring his man, getting in tackles, and winning headers. I wish he would play like that every week. 

Posted (edited)

Thoughts:

1. Great first half. Valour were knocking it around confidently and fully deserved the two goal half time lead. Second half was much more even and perhaps the Eddies even shaded it. Eddies well on top in the last ten mins.

2. Why did Bustos take the pen? Petrasso looked a little put out and is certainly the better penalty taker. Dive the right way and you easily save Bustos' efforts.

3. Why did Carreiro wear the Captain's armband? Thomas has been named Captain and was on the pitch. Edit: It was Portugese day! I should have watched the post match presser before posting!

4. Speaking of Carreiro, that was his best match in a maroon shirt although I thought the keeper should have kept out his goal.

5. Peña lucky to only see yellow for what looked like a studs up crunching late challenge that made me wince. Why has he not played more often? He always seems to impress and did again today.

6. I have watched the highlights and Musse's disallowed goal was onside. Lino's view was blocked by a Valour player (who was offside) and an almost adjacent Eddies player.

7. Lots of good individual performances from Valour.

8. Eddies really were poor in front of goal. Should have had at least one more and could easily have scored even more.

9. Very well reffed match. Shame about the disallowed goal but at least it didn't affect the outcome.

10. Get well soon Rafa! Valour will again have three fit defenders as Murrell returns from suspension. Squad building 101: include more than 5 defenders in a squad of 23.

11. Definitely a small crowd but to those who missed it: your loss. This is the kind of performance we have been waiting for.

12. Valour's only wins at home all season have come against the two teams at the bottom of the Fall Season table. One final chance to change that remains, vs. York.

13. Tactical triumph for Gale with the 3-4-3 although Valour only had three fit defenders! Perhaps the tide is turning but better teams will have to provide the litmus test. For now though: #HailGale 😁

14. Maroons now in the thick of the race for third. Win at home to York and it will be Valour or Pacific, who meet on the island in Valour's last match.

Edited by Lofty