Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread: Oct 2, 2019 - Cavalry vs. Valour

Match is at 7pm MDT (9pm EDT) and can be seen live on OneSoccer.

Cavalry's last outing was a 1-1 draw at York where the Cavs had two players sent off and then surprisingly took the lead, only to surrender it to a late late injury time York equalizer. Valour's last match was a 0-0 draw at HFX -- the first time this season that Valour have managed to follow a win with something other than a loss. If Valour somehow manage to avoid defeat they would extend their unbeaten run to three, a new team record.

This will be the fourth and final meeting between these teams this season with Cavalry leading the season series with two wins and a draw. The last meeting was at IGF and finished Valour 0 Cavalry 8 (eight), a CPL-record home thrashing that, if the CPL lasts for a hundred years, will probably still be standing. This rematch will show the world (I use the term loosely) whether this Valour team have any pride.

Cavalry currently sit second in the Fall table, 2 points behind Forge with both having played 13 matches, so that a win would send them back to the top; although, with the dates of the two Championship Matches having already been announced, there is no longer anything tangible riding on finishing first. Valour are currently fourth with 16 points from 14 matches and a point behind third placed York, so that a win (stop sniggering) would lift them into third.

Bookies: Cavalry odds-on favourites at a million to one.

Official CPL Preview: https://canpl.ca/article/preview-cavalry-fc-vs-valour-fc-match-84

(A couple of notes: 1. "excise" is not the same as "exercise" 😂. 2. Who the hell are "the Lions"?)

Off to exercise my demons. They do enjoy a nice walk before supper.

Edited by Lofty

Valour team news:
With a fracture in his lower back, I doubt we will see Beland-Goyette again this season. Sacramento has a hamstring injury picked up at York and must be considered doubtful. We haven't heard much about Janssens' injury but he wouldn't be starting anyway (8-0!). Golubar is out for the season and presumably so too is Arguiñarena. Petrasso should be back to full fitness after a ten day rest. Jose Galán is suspended for accumulating 4 bookings.

Even with key players out, Gale has some selection problems of the good variety. Attardo or Paoulucci at CF? Attardo always seems to score when he plays there, which for some inexplicable reason is rarely. And if Attardo does play CF, what does Gale do with the skillful Paolucci? On the plus side, after his commanding performance at CM in Halifax, I think we have finally found where Gutierrez fits, for now anyway. But somebody who has played well recently in the midfield/forward role is going to have to sit. Defensively there are options too and although the latest incarnation is not exactly rock solid, nor was the version that included Mitter the last time Valour played Cavalry!

I hope Valour go for it here. It is their best chance to get a result. They have the attacking prowess to score against Cavalry, even if their lone goal against them thus far came from the penalty spot, and it is hard to see them holding the Cavs scoreless. Goals will be needed.

Projected Valour Line Up:
Formation: 4-3-3.
Goal: Farago.
Defence (R-L): Ohin, Thomas, Murrell, Garcia;
Midfield: Petrasso, Gutierrez, Bustos;
Forward: Musse, Attardo, Paolucci.

Of all the names noted above who'll be absent from Wednesday's fixture for various reasons two names that are noticable by their presence are Ledgerwood and Wheeldon.  

If anyone didn't see the post match interviews with Ledgerwood and Wheeldon after the York match I'd just like to add I'm a bit surprised either man hasn't sat through a video meeting with the leagues disciplinary commitee being offered the opportunity to explain why they shouldn't receive a suspection and/or fine for suggesting the officials exercised a bias against Cavalry during the recent York match. 

Maybe they did and are just good talkers.  Don't know.   

15 hours ago, Lofty said:

😂2. Who the hell are "the Lions"?)

This is sad. This is a mistake that needs correcting. Unless I'm unaware that they have adopted the University's athletic moniker. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

This is sad. This is a mistake that needs correcting. Unless I'm unaware that they have adopted the University's athletic moniker. 

The university teams are the U of M Bisons.

2 hours ago, Shway said:

The Valour mascot is a lion so perhaps that's the connection. Either way it's stupid.

Edited by jonovision

43 minutes ago, jonovision said:

The Valour mascot is a lion so perhaps that's the connection. Either way it's stupid.

Agreed. Why not the Maroons - it's one of the main colors, they play in Manitoba, etc. It's *RIGHT THERE*

I'm a little surprised to see Petrasso on the bench as he has had ten days rest so should be healthy.

Good to see Attardo at CF and Paolucci also starting.

I question Ohin at CM, particularly after Gutierrez did so well there in Halifax. I can see what Gale is doing but Ohin's passing is not where it needs to be for that crucial position.

12 minutes ago, Lofty said:

I'm a little surprised to see Petrasso on the bench as he has had ten days rest so should be healthy.

Good to see Attardo at CF and Paolucci also starting.

I question Ohin at CM, particularly after Gutierrez did so well there in Halifax. I can see what Gale is doing but Ohin's passing is not where it needs to be for that crucial position.

Rafi isn't going to get bullied and has 3 times as much bite in him.  Might get himself in card trouble quickly but I perfer him inside.  See if that's how they really line up.  

Murrel and Le Bourhis look reversed to me.