2020 USports Draft Prospects

Pottsy3

With the USports Season well underway, I figured I’d make a thread do track some prospects.

I didn’t expect the draft picks from this year to be such impactful players, but Zerhoven, Schaale, James, and Bona are among the many who have had large roles in their CPL squad.

to note: Larson reported that only Seniors would be drafted in the next draft.

I attended the Guelph-Laurier match tonight hoping as a Forge fan that I’d get to see Jace Kotsopoulos. Unfortunately it seems he’s been nagged by injury.

One guy who stood above the rest was Alexander Zis. Played two years at USF (all conference second team) and is back at Guelph for his senior year (Those schools must have some connection, see Skublak). 

He had two goals and two assists in the first half alone. He plays a Kyle bekker like midfield role but is also a very good dribbler going forward. 

On a Laurier team that didn’t look too hot, Donte Henry looked promising in the first half. Has been to some youth camps in the past. While he plays in the mid sometimes, I liked the idea of him as a wingback. He can win challenges but is a bit small and his real asset is his speed and ball control going forward.

• 1 month later...

Ouch...thats harsh Ted.   Some good talent came through that draft to CPL last year.  Oxner, Ongaro, Zambaziz, Waterman, Carrerio Bona Schalle, Gogarty, Z Verhoeven etc.  It creates a pathway for our Usports kids and lets them come as underclassmen and go back to school in the offseason if they choose.  Now maybe it was not needed as the kids could have found their way to teams on their own.  Or maybe it was rigged or maybe you just dont like NA style drafts etc...but I dont think its pointless.  Especially if it keeps some of our kids in our Usports and not in NCAA.  Grow all aspects of the game at home eh?  

https://canpl.ca/article/cpl-confirms-selection-order-for-2019-cpl-u-sports-draft

Here is the order for the first round:

• 1) Halifax Wanderers FC
  • 2) Valour FC
  • 3) Pacific FC
  • 4) FC Edmonton
  • 5) York9 FC
  • 6) Cavalry FC
  • 7) Forge FC

The draft order will reverse itself for the second round, with Forge selecting first and HFX going last. In total, 14 players will be selected during the two-round draft.

Edited by Ansem

On 10/30/2019 at 5:30 PM, Bison44 said:

Ouch...thats harsh Ted.   Some good talent came through that draft to CPL last year.  Oxner, Ongaro, Zambaziz, Waterman, Carrerio Bona Schalle, Gogarty, Z Verhoeven etc.  It creates a pathway for our Usports kids and lets them come as underclassmen and go back to school in the offseason if they choose.  Now maybe it was not needed as the kids could have found their way to teams on their own.  Or maybe it was rigged or maybe you just dont like NA style drafts etc...but I dont think its pointless.  Especially if it keeps some of our kids in our Usports and not in NCAA.  Grow all aspects of the game at home eh?  

And with this year being limited to underclassmen only we may start to see the draft bear some fruits in a few years.  Giving these kids an opportunity to train day in day out as professionals during their offseason will do tons for their development and hopefully let them become professionals and still earn their degree.  See this as a big positive for development and offering a different pathway for some.

9 minutes ago, downtownordinary said:

Giving these kids an opportunity to train day in day out as professionals during their offseason will do tons for their development and hopefully let them become professionals and still earn their degree.  See this as a big positive for development and offering a different pathway for some.

Exactly! They need, "train day in day out as professionals during their offseason", with profesional clubs, not with college programs which are in their off-season as well.

Lots of people earn their degree part-time or working around jobs. There is no reason a PFC player cannot attend University of Victoria Classes while training "full-time" with the club for example. Every city with a CanPL club has one or more universities and distance learning is a huge thing in the universities sector now.  

There is no benefit to this farce to the players. The whole point of a draft is to take away free movement of players giving the owners more power when negotiating deals.

Ok first of all- last year was a real good draft.

From my count 9/21 players drafted last year played in more than 15 games last year.  That’s very good.

Another 4 players played for their CPL team.

Thats 13/21 players in the draft who played last year.  Some of these guys were real standouts including Waterman and Ongaro who made some pundits Best XI list.   

The CPL draft definitely uncovered some gems and was worth it for the league.  It also highlighted that U Sports had some real talent playing in it.   

Dropping to 14 players drafted this year isn’t going to change that.  If 6 or 7 players a year emerge from U Sports this can only be considered a success. 

Ted: So the objection is that the players arent allowed free movement?  Not able to sign with whichever club they want??  I get it but this might be the league evening things out which might actually help the kids get minutes.  Maybe if its a free for all you get agents and stuff you dont want in the process.  I still like the idea and can live with a slightly farcical implementation,. It should give CDN kids looking at going to some NCAA school an incentive to stay in canada if there is a system set up to get pro minutes before graduation, unlike NCAA.  Then stronger Usport programs, more interest, better coaches/facilities, building grassroots interest etc etc etc.  

1st team all canadians.  

POS. FIRST NAME LAST NAME SCHOOL ELIG. HOMETOWN PROGRAM
GK Félix Clapin-Girard UQTR 3 Gatineau, Que. Environmental Geography
D Peter Schaale Cape Breton 4 Bernkastel-Kues, Germany Business Admin.
D Jackson Farmer UBC 3 Edmonton, Alta. Arts
D Jean-Simon Cournoyer UQTR 5 St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que. Teaching Physical & Health Ed.
D Francesco Sinopoli York 5 Maple, Ont. Accounting
M Aboubacar Sissoko Montreal 5 Bamako, Mali Arts and Science
M Alexander Zis Guelph 4 Oakville, Ont. Marketing Management
M Dario Conte Carleton 3 Ottawa, Ont. Economics
M Isaac Koch Victoria 4 West Kelowna, B.C. Humanities
M Dan Hayfield StFX 5 Exeter, U.K. Arts
F Cory Bent Cape Breton 4 Preston, U.K.

Community Studies

All rookie team.   Dane Domic rookie of the year at Mount Royal with a familiar coach..Ryan Gyaki (who was up for coach of the year).  

M Isaiah Johnston Cape Brton Milton, Ont. Community Studies
F Jacob Grant Memorial St. John's, N.L. Business
F James Spence Saint Mary’s Hammonds Plains, N.S. Arts
M Alessandro Bertacchini UQTR Laval, Que. Industrial Engineering
M Souleymane Junior Camara Montreal Montreal, Que. Preparatory Year
F Simon Spénard-Lapierre Concordia Laval, Que. Finance
F Fadi Salback Ontario Tech Bowmanville, Ont. Software Engineering
D Moses Kafeero Guelph Ottawa, Ont. Mechanical Engineering
D Kyler Smalling Toronto Mississauga, Ont. Life Science
M Dane Domic Mount Royal Calgary, Alta Open Studies
D Jake Ruby Trinity Western North Vancouver, B.C. General Studies 
F Jehmrode Kahlon Fraser Valley Abbotsford, B.C. Science

MEN’S SOCCER

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Ted: So the objection is that the players arent allowed free movement?  Not able to sign with whichever club they want??  I get it but this might be the league evening things out which might actually help the kids get minutes.  

<Sigh>

Playing in the Canadian university system does NOT give you ONE MORE MINUTE than playing for a pro club, it gives you less as their season is three months.

It also gives you INFERIOR minutes against other amateurs.

What makes a PROFESSIONAL players is playing against PROFESSIONALS.

Playing on college teams is a poor substitute for the system that works everywhere but North America. By 2021 the CanPL teams should have identified every 14 year old in Canada who might be a good prospect and should start signing them to development deals. The idea of leaving a player in the hands of amateurs until they turn 17 or 18 is stupid. Allowing them to half-ass it on a university team for four prime development years is criminal.

Ohhhhh..you hate college sports!!!   Not the draft........you hate college!!!!  You want them to drop out and try and link up with academies etc???    I thought it was the draft that was the farce....but its the whole thing.  

Well its a moot point, there are young men that are not with pro clubs and there is such a thing as university sports, and some kids take advantage of this and get an education at the same time.  And from the looks of last years draft there is some decent talent there and no one else is knocking down the door to give these kids any sort of a chance.  I always thought for a country so devoid of soccer, having coaches and kids in a university setting was at least something.  Hell maybe Ryan Gyaki might be the next coach of Y9 or Halifax.  

For me the mere fact that college as in CCAA players arent eligible, show it's a broken system for the process of signing student athletes. 

Its beyond stupid that half the player pool is not included because they go to a college and not university.  Especially when those Universities (like York) lose to college teams (Humber) on the regular. 

We're trying to reinvent the wheel using the same systematical flaws. 

I guess players should go to college, perform, and get a look/trial at a CPL club of their choice! 

Edited by Shway

15 hours ago, ted said:

...There is no benefit to this farce to the players. The whole point of a draft is to take away free movement of players giving the owners more power when negotiating deals...

There hasn't been much sign so far of CanPL teams competing against each other to sign players, so it may not just be U-Sports signings that are being handled in that way.

15 hours ago, ted said:

<Sigh>

Playing in the Canadian university system does NOT give you ONE MORE MINUTE than playing for a pro club, it gives you less as their season is three months.

It also gives you INFERIOR minutes against other amateurs.

What makes a PROFESSIONAL players is playing against PROFESSIONALS.

Playing on college teams is a poor substitute for the system that works everywhere but North America. By 2021 the CanPL teams should have identified every 14 year old in Canada who might be a good prospect and should start signing them to development deals. The idea of leaving a player in the hands of amateurs until they turn 17 or 18 is stupid. Allowing them to half-ass it on a university team for four prime development years is criminal.

That's why the CSA wants to replicate the CHL model which is the backbone of developing the best hockey players in the world.

Not saying we'll be the best football nation but such system will bring much improvement.

Credit to CPL for wanting provincial leagues under it's pyramid. Quebec and BC are a matter of time and other provinces should follow. That's how you best identify talents in more remote areas, that's how hockey doesn't miss anyone who's good...even from Cole Harbour, NS.

University draft is a temporary fix and I doubt it will be a permanent thing

20 hours ago, ted said:

Exactly! They need, "train day in day out as professionals during their offseason", with profesional clubs, not with college programs which are in their off-season as well.

Lots of people earn their degree part-time or working around jobs. There is no reason a PFC player cannot attend University of Victoria Classes while training "full-time" with the club for example. Every city with a CanPL club has one or more universities and distance learning is a huge thing in the universities sector now.  

There is no benefit to this farce to the players. The whole point of a draft is to take away free movement of players giving the owners more power when negotiating deals.

Some players get scholarships to play for the university team. The draft gives them a chance to attempt to go pro, while not giving up their eligibility. This means if they aren’t good enough, they still have scholarships to help pay for school. And outside of just money, many players want to win championships or just play competitive soccer at their schools. If they don’t make it in the Canpl, they can still play.

If a player wanted to sign as a free agent they have the opportunity to reach out to a club. The draft just makes it less risky for both the player and the clubs.

as well, school and full time pro soccer is not easy. I have worked full time and went to school at the same time, and I had no time whatsoever. It’s not a lifestyle for many.

19 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Ohhhhh..you hate college sports!!!   Not the draft........you hate college!!!! 

LOL, I don't hate college sports, I find them irrelevant. I am a fan of PROFESSIONAL soccer and believe college is a poor pathway to the pros. It may be all we have had in the past but that doesn't make it what we need for the future.

And BTW I have worked at the same University for the last 28 years and am happy to see kids go to college. It's why I have been putting away money every month for two decades and my oldest will be graduating next May.  :D

14 minutes ago, ted said:

LOL, I don't hate college sports, I find them irrelevant. I am a fan of PROFESSIONAL soccer and believe college is a poor pathway to the pros. It may be all we have had in the past but that doesn't make it what we need for the future.

And BTW I have worked at the same University for the last 28 years and am happy to see kids go to college. It's why I have been putting away money every month for two decades and my oldest will be graduating next May.  :D

It will be irrelevant eventually. Its only become irrelevant to MLS a few years ago no matter how much they still try to hold onto the "Super" Draft. Once there are players being drafted in CPL and aren't able to crack the first team, it will be irrelevant here as well

44 minutes ago, ted said:

I'm with you Ted.  In time there will be better pathways than to rely on college sports to produce your new talent.  For a start up league however it is a useful mechanism.  I think it will always be a part of the league for a few reasons.  First, why would you completely say no we aren't interested in this pool of players?  No matter how slim the pickings get down the road, there may be a gem in there once in a while. Second, it serves as a way to keep people talking about your league when games aren't happening. 

Like everything else with the CPL patience is needed, we need to walk before we run.

The college soccer system is not getting the best out of the kids that is for sure. I didnt really think you hated college Ted, and I share the thoughts about college vs pro training.  But I think it will be a long time before we see all the raw talent get tapped at 14-15 into pro situations in canada.   So since its there and kids are in it, I'm glad CPL is letting undergrads play in the pro setting in summer and continue school and playing ball etc in the winter if they so choose. 

I would love to the STClair/Buchanon/Miller/Larin/Lareya/Chapman/Bekker types forgo NCAA and stay in canada, get pro min in the CPL while in a canadian school.  

Please guys for the love of clarity stop saying College when referring to Universities. In Canada its ever so clear that they are different, and the CPL is clearly treating it separately. We aren't freaking American and this isn't NCAA fack. 

Whats crazy is that majority of the L1O teams are filled with College players. 

Edited by Shway