CPL Disappointing XI

nolando

Curious to ask who people think are the biggest underachievers for this first season.

It seems to me that a lot of the hyped senior flops like Issey and Bonsu will be there but who, including some of the young guns, surprised you in their lack of impact in this league?

Including season ending injuries as disappointments and factoring in what was widely anticipated rather than what was in no way surprising (e.g. Calum Ferguson or younger players on their first fully pro contract):

Q Roberts (clearly now there never was a genuine contest with Bono at TFC, it was only ever a messageboard issue)

E John* Thomas Hocine de Jong

Nakajima-Farran Marcelin Golubar Choiniere

Haber S Hoyle

Subs: Williams, Didic, Bonsu, Fisk, Cox

* - right back was a difficult one

442 selected to fit in both Haber and Hoyle.

7 hours ago, Blackdude said:

I never understood the hype for Ouattara. 

I think the story was the bigger hype - unknown insurance salesmen playing senior soccer in Moncton comes through to boss open trials in Halifax. He was very effective in his defined role (shadowing Bekker) during the first match at Wanderers Ground. Other than that, he can't fill the same role as Rampersad, Simmons, and John as his distribution isn't up to par, so has been frozen out of the midfield. 

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Including season ending injuries as disappointments and factoring in what was widely anticipated rather than what was in no way surprising (e.g. Calum Ferguson or younger players on their first fully pro contract):

Q Roberts (clearly now there never was a genuine contest with Bono at TFC, it was only ever a messageboard issue)

Haber S Hoyle

Elton John has never played RB, so can imagine how difficult that decision really was. I'd throw Sukunda there instead - Bona has solidified his spot at RB and Sukunda doesn't offer the same offensive upside as Garcia or Guti on the RW. 

53 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Skylar Thomas has to be the Captain of this team.  I honestly thought he could be the leagues best defender this season and he really disappointed with his play and antics.

I wholeheartedly agree. When I watched their practices in preseason he looked so strong and commanding. I honestly thought that he would be in the mix for the CMNT.  He had a great year the year before in USL, and I was genuinely excited, but have now been left feeling disappointed with the way the season has gone.  Maybe this is due to coaching, structure, players he has been playing with, but I hope that next year he can regain his confidence and form.

16 minutes ago, ted said:

Yeah, super nice guy, but not the impact we wanted on the pitch. I will not be surprised if he and Haber are not back in 2020 for PFC.

Makes sense. There's no point overpaying when the likes of Campbell are tearing it up.

I like that after 1 season we can already point out on who should be starters, benchers and aren't a right fit. A few months ago we were just happy to sign a decent player. Lots of those dont justify their salaries.

I'm thinking another CPL team pick them up but at a salary that reflects their experience AND latest CPL season.

If you have Campbell, you find someone as good or better for depth. Haber isn't the guy at the salary I think he's making. Same for Issey.

Looking at FC Edmonton, you have Ongaro at a bargain... you need to clean house a bit and add depth at the position. 

York9...hoping Adjei was cheap and if Telfer doesn't stick around, theybwill have to open their wallets.

Valour has a massive defensive problem and the players aren't executing the coach system...

Cavalry just need to reinforce on what they already have. That pushes some starters to the bench, some benchers to Foothills or U20 team

Forge has a goalkeeper problem, need to replace Borges who will be gone and find a better striker to push Novak as a sub or super sub. 

HFX needs better firepower between Perea who's injury prone but damn good. The gap is wide between him and Skublak..

Just freestyling... right now...nothing elaborate or scientific 

Edited by Ansem

On 9/27/2019 at 11:40 AM, Ansem said:

The biggest disappointments were those who were overhyped...

Like the "most interesting man in CPL" turned out to be a disappointment. 

-Issey Nakajima-Farran

Issey Nakajima-Farran a nice guy and and interesting character but always thought was a bit overrated as a player. The MLS was above his level when he was in his prime and he didn’t last long there. Now in the CPL and in his final years as a pro it does not surprise me he has not done well in the CPL either, just shows you that the CPL is a decent level and a player who couldn’t cut it in the MLS in his prime is not going to come into the CPL now past his prime and do well in the CPL.

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

Issey Nakajima-Farran a nice guy and and interesting character but always thought was a bit overrated as a player. The MLS was above his level when he was in his prime and he didn’t last long there. Now in the CPL and in his final years as a pro it does not surprise me he has not done well in the CPL either, just shows you that the CPL is a decent level and a player who couldn’t cut it in the MLS in his prime is not going to come into the CPL now past his prime and do well in the CPL.

He was very good in his cameo with TFC...not sure why he was moved on so quickly but it definately wasnt above his level at age 30.

28 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

He was very good in his cameo with TFC...not sure why he was moved on so quickly but it definately wasnt above his level at age 30.

I’m a TFC season ticket holder since day one and still am, I watched him play he was not good enough and that’s why he was let go went to Montreal and again was not good enough and was let go. I understand he is or was a favourite of many on here . Look he is a great guy and quite an interesting person but overrated as a soccer player. If he was good enough he would of stuck in MLS and even now in the CPL he can’t seem to cut it either yes he is older but there are a few older pros in the CPL this year who have been pretty effective but not Issey and I’m not surprised. Being the darling of many on these boards it was hard to admit that he couldn’t cut it in the MLS and now even in the CPL . But let’s move on because the nice thing is that the CPL has discovered some nice up and coming talent and that is a very good thing in the end.

I"m also a season 1 TFC season ticket holder.

I thought TFC didn't give him a fair shake.

The guy was actually scoring goals as a winger. (granted at a small sample size).

He is actually a perfect example of a player that may have stuck around MLS if the rules weren't discriminatory.

That was 2014 though. 2019 is a different story and age has caught up with him.

56 minutes ago, narduch said:

The guy was actually scoring goals as a winger. (granted at a small sample size).

He is actually a perfect example of a player that may have stuck around MLS if the rules weren't discriminatory.

That's the most accurate remark. Farran had commented on how surprised he was that Americams were given way more opportunities than him.

Back then I could understand but he wasn't out of place in MLS. Like you said, the team didn't give him a fair shot. Montreal gave him more games. He's wasn't a star or anything...but far from the worst

8 hours ago, narduch said:

I agree. Nakajima-Farran was great at TFC... shocking to trade him on his birthday after he scored the winning penalty to get us into the Canadian Championship finals.

I agree that Issey was doing very well with TFC and was let go waaay to soon.

I know there is more to the game than just goals, but just for a comparison, here are some wingers numbers with TFC.

Issey - 235 minutes, 2 goals, 0 assists (plus the shoot out goal yellowsweatygorilla mentioned)
Gallardo - 244 minutes, 0 goals, 1 assist
Benezet - 403 minutes, 2 goals, 0 assists

But absolutely, he has been disappointing in the CPL.

On 9/26/2019 at 11:59 PM, Lofty said:

I think this might be the second thread on this topic but I don't know what to search for to find the first one and the match thread clutter makes a manual search too painful.

For Valour:

Skylar Thomas was the very first player signed. Apparently a 6'4" beast of a CB who, when combined with Murrell was apparently likely to give Valour the best CB pairing in CPL. In actual fact they have been the worst. Thomas has been the biggest disappointment for me because I expected great things.

Stephen Hoyle, who was the second player signed and has already been punted, comes in 2nd most disappointing for me. Simply not good enough. I was expecting 10-15 goals from him.

Jordan Murrell comes in third, mostly based on lower expectations. Not good when you are signed early and to much fanfare and then lose your place to a late signing and journeyman like Adam Mitter, who was hardly a star!

I'm afraid I'm going to have to also mention Tyson Farago. Great start at Pacific but since then has been very inconsistent. Youngster Janssens has definitely out performed him.

The one other player is Dylan Carreiro. Again, he has probably been average overall but from the fanfare surrounding his signing I was expecting more.

Incidentally, Valour's 3rd/4th signings were Farago/Sacramento (announced together) and 5th/6th were Muenkat/Murrell (also announced together).

So, that is 4 of Valour's first 6 signings on this list of 6 players with the first two signings occupying the first two places! Hardly surprising that Valour have struggled, although to be fair some of the later signings have done very well (e.g. Bustos, Galán, Paolucci).

I don't think Thomas has been bad in the second half of the season, though not up to the expectations people had of him (the basis for these expectations has never been clear to me; his professional resume is unimpressive).

On 9/27/2019 at 10:28 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Haber S Hoyle

John Herdman obviously doesn't see things the way I do:

prg55luz0yp31.png

I think he's disappointing because he looks capable of more than he delivers if he could eliminate the howlers like Saturday's own goal.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

15 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

John Herdman obviously doesn't see things the way I do:

prg55luz0yp31.png

I think he's disappointing because he looks capable of more than he delivers if he could eliminate the howlers like Saturday's own goal.

Yep... After Tomori's own goal, we shouldn't consider him ever...let England have him