Match Thread: September 25, 2019 - Montreal Impact at Toronto FC - Finals, 2nd Leg

Good game some exciting end to end soccer . A deserving win by the Impact and this coming from me a TFC season ticket holder since day one and still a TFC season ticket holder. However, the Voyageurs final needs to be on regular TV and maybe even the semis . Out of sight out of mind. Just imagine if a CPL team had been in the final and this game being shown on some obscure App what a missed opportunity that would have been for the CPL. Moreover, again remember I’m a big TFC fan , but that non penalty call against TFC when as we saw on the replay TFC’s Auro clearly handles the ball is a reason why you need VAR, if the Impact go on to lose that game that non call would have been big .

Can't say that I'm overly beat up about the loss. TFC had won three Cups in a row, and frankly if they had won this time it always would have felt somewhat tainted by that ridiculous format of giving them a bye all the way into the Semi-final round. I really hope they change the format for next year.

TFC paid the price for only having one striker on their roster who can reliably score - Altidore probably had his worst game for TFC other than that game last year where he got a red card about 4 minutes into a must-win game. The Impact, all but mathematically out of MLS, made the wise move of resting their key offensive players rather than flying them to LA & back. TFC can't afford to do that as they have no reliable back up plan for Altidore - he looked gassed the entire game and was off his game and there was no plan B for a guy who could come off the bench. Mullins doesn't cut it  for me as a #2 option, and I thought that was the case even before his horrible PK attempt tonight which reminded me of a 10 year old house league player taking a PK for the first time, not having a clue of how to take one properly and just blasting it quickly without looking or knowing where it was going rather than properly placing it).

I hope Altidore plays like that against Canada on the 15th, but chances are they don't even take him to the Cayman Islands ahead of the game against us.

3 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

Nice to see a non-American team beat an American-heavy team on Canadian soil. Hopefully we can repeat in October!!!

Fixed.

The Impact are no more Canadian than TFC. They're just less American (which I guess is all it takes to appease people on here). 

Good on them for holding on for the win, though.

24 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Increase the quota to 4 Canadians

It's time

I was just going to post this same thing, it certainly should be at least 4, it seems the number of Canadians playing for TFC in this competition is decreasing and of course Vanney just can't wait to get them out! With a quota of 4 at least it would be guaranteed there would be at least one Canadian still on the pitch in the CANADIAN Championship!

Edited by gator

11 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Can't say that I'm overly beat up about the loss. TFC had won three Cups in a row, and frankly if they had won this time it always would have felt somewhat tainted by that ridiculous format of giving them a bye all the way into the Semi-final round. I really hope they change the format for next year.

TFC paid the price for only having one striker on their roster who can reliably score - Altidore probably had his worst game for TFC other than that game last year where he got a red card about 4 minutes into a must-win game. The Impact, all but mathematically out of MLS, made the wise move of resting their key offensive players rather than flying them to LA & back. TFC can't afford to do that as they have no reliable back up plan for Altidore - he looked gassed the entire game and was off his game and there was no plan B for a guy who could come off the bench. Mullins doesn't cut it  for me as a #2 option, and I thought that was the case even before his horrible PK attempt tonight which reminded me of a 10 year old house league player taking a PK for the first time, not having a clue of how to take one properly and just blasting it quickly without looking or knowing where it was going rather than properly placing it).

I hope Altidore plays like that against Canada on the 15th, but chances are they don't even take him to the Cayman Islands ahead of the game against us.

I am never going to be convinced Mullins is a better option than Hamilton was, Vanney sure seems to think so and I guess that's all that matters!

Too bad season ticket holders dont care about that point. That's why TFC will continue down that path.

I dont want to hear that MLS academies are the "creme de la creme" anymore. Can't have it both ways with bragging and being utterly incapable of playing more guys at that level that you produces.

13 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Too bad season ticket holders dont care about that point. That's why TFC will continue down that path.

I dont want to hear that MLS academies are the "creme de la creme" anymore. Can't have it both ways with bragging and being utterly incapable of playing more guys at that level that you produces.

Who are you hearing this from?

1 hour ago, Chad_Impact said:

Nah, we're no CPL team of course, but TFC is an American team right now and will be until Vanney is gone.

Nah, I get it. This board is cool if teams are full of Finns, Argentines, Italians, etc. As long as they’re not Americans.

It’s pretty hypocritical but I’ve come to accept it.

4 minutes ago, RS said:

Nah, I get it. This board is cool if teams are full of Finns, Argentines, Italians, etc. As long as they’re not Americans.

It’s pretty hypocritical but I’ve come to accept it.

The issue at hand is TFC pulling Canadians and finishing the game with 1 canadian...and still losing in a Canadian Championship of all places.

I dont think anyone's giving Montreal a medal for starting 3 Canadians but pulling Canadians like they were last night by TFC was cynical...

It's really irrelevant from where the balance of the team are from, what matters is more Canadians playing in that tournament. 

Are you against increasing the Canadian quota in the Canadian Championship. Yes or no or without calling people hypocrites.

If no, why?

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

The issue at hand is TFC pulling Canadians and finishing the game with 1 canadian...and still losing in a Canadian Championship of all places.

I dont think anyone's giving Montreal a medal for starting 3 Canadians but pulling Canadians like they were last night by TFC was cynical...

It's really irrelevant from where the balance of the team are from, what matters is more Canadians playing in that tournament. 

Are you against increasing the Canadian quota in the Canadian Championship. Yes or no or without calling people hypocrites.

If no, why?

Especially when your best player was a Canadian but still get's pulled

Edited by Chad_Impact

23 minutes ago, Ansem said:

If no, why?

So you’d be cool with TFC had they won last night while making the exact same squad moves? Since that’s “the issue” you seem to have. 

Coaches are free to do what they wish with their lineups as long as the rules are being obeyed, and that’s how it should be. TFC’s justification for replacing the fullbacks was because they were being asked to push the pace all game long, which makes sense from a tactical standpoint. I probably would’ve started Shaffelburg, but that just comes down to personal preference as I think he can wear down IMFC’s old RB.

I’d love to see more Canadians in the tournament, but the current quota is what it is right now. Given that the CSA’s definition of a Canadian is far more stringent than CanPL’s from a roster standpoint, I’m not sure adopting those rules for the Canadian Championship is necessarily a good thing at the moment. 

And yes, anyone who decries TFC’s lack of Canadians while letting IMFC skate on the issue is a hypocrite. But I know... Toronto bad, everywhere else good.