Jump to content
Olympique_de_Marseille

USA vs Canada - Friday Nov 15th, Orlando FL

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, DavemTFC said:

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/genmea

Clip of the Davies backpass, I see no lip movement from Borjan. That doesn't prove anything necessarily but still I wager this was nearly 100% on Davies. Ignore my earlier Borjan hot take

As a keeper, Borjan should know the law at least as well, if not BETTER than Davies. He could easily have hoofed it out with his foot but chose to catch it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've played in games against people who did that and had no idea you couldn't.  I've never seen it come up but apparently the ref got it right, I don't think its a big issue, clearly neither Davies or Borjan had any idea and I can't really blame them either, its pretty damn obscure law.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, villus said:

I've played in games against people who did that and had no idea you couldn't.  I've never seen it come up but apparently the ref got it right, I don't think its a big issue, clearly neither Davies or Borjan had any idea and I can't really blame them either, its pretty damn obscure law.  

Yeah, if I am ranking all the things that went wrong, that's pretty far down the list. I am more worried about how we played and what our gameplan was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW - after the loss, the players shook hands and came to applaud the travelling fans.  Then they reconvened in a big circle huddle at the centre of the pitch for a solid 1-2 minutes.  I found this to be an interesting moment.  Maybe it says something about team unity, or maybe it doesn't.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just re-watched the highlights ... I know there were multiple players at fault on a few of the goals, but am I correct that Henry was majorly culpable on the first Zardes goal and the Long goal?  On the first Zardes goal, he seems to hesitate to check if someone is behind him, but let's Zardes get position on him, and Zardes was the clear threat there in my eyes ... on the Long goal, DH just seems to lose him ...

I don't want to be overly harsh on DH, but given that the first goal was partially the result of a fluke bounce and the 4th goal was likely in part due to the circumstances at that point in the match, those two errors were MASSIVE!

Edited by Addona

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one that thinks the first goal isn't the result of a flukey bounce? It was a result of leaving players completely unmarked inside the box. We should have been able to deal with that, flukey bounce or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kent said:

Am I the only one that thinks the first goal isn't the result of a flukey bounce? It was a result of leaving players completely unmarked inside the box. We should have been able to deal with that, flukey bounce or not.

It was the result of a fluke bounce but it should have been dealt with. Just look at a still picture of the moment when the ball gets to Morris. Our guys are just standing there not marking anyone - poor defence 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Addona said:

I just re-watched the highlights ... I know there were multiple players at fault on a few of the goals, but am I correct that Henry was majorly culpable on the first Zardes goal and the Long goal?  On the first Zardes goal, he seems to hesitate to check if someone is behind him, but let's Zardes get position on him, and Zardes was the clear threat there in my eyes ... on the Long goal, DH just seems to lose him ...

I don't want to be overly harsh on DH, but given that the first goal was partially the result of a fluke bounce and the 4th goal was likely in part due to the circumstances at that point in the match, those two errors were MASSIVE!

How about this...on #1 David is beaten to the low cross into the box, and Davies lets his man go, not covering the left side and thats right where the ball ends up, #2, Vitoria blows the header, then doesnt attack the crosser and both defenders (mainly Henry) let Zardes go between them. Goal #3, Henry misses the header this time but it looks like Long was Vitorias man, either way screwed up set piece that everyone owns a piece of.  #4 Cornelius blows the header and Piette chests it to Zardes who buries it.  At the end of the day, Vittoria and Henry did not seem to be on the same page at all, harsh to hang it all on Henry.  Some of that even has to go to Herdman, as cornelius and Vittoria seemed to be working well, maybe had better communication etc.  Probably even Henry and Cornelius would have done better together.  But Herdman is watching them in camp, he should know who pairs up best etc.  Maybe if we played more games we could figure this stuff out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Kent said:

Am I the only one that thinks the first goal isn't the result of a flukey bounce? It was a result of leaving players completely unmarked inside the box. We should have been able to deal with that, flukey bounce or not.

Yeah, I still haven’t watched the game replay, but love it looked like someone was on the scorer before the kick was launched in and then completely let him run in alone to score.  It looked like complete non-marking to me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion people aren't focusing on our midfield enough. Many of the goals and chances came from poor passing going forward. In the first game we played through the middle and were very clean in our passing. In the second game we were sloppy in our passing and we paid for it. Our defense sucked, but so did our midfield. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, BFBF said:

In my opinion people aren't focusing on our midfield enough. Many of the goals and chances came from poor passing going forward. In the first game we played through the middle and were very clean in our passing. In the second game we were sloppy in our passing and we paid for it. Our defense sucked, but so did our midfield. 

The first thing that comes to mind are misplaced passes from a tired Osorio and an out of form Piette. Kaye misplaced a pass to David and Arfield was forced into a turn over or two. 

We decided to square up to a motivated USA side away from home and paid the price.

A more conservative approach would have been wiser, but we have the players to ball and they are eager to prove they are equals to the USA. I get it, because I honestly believe our midfield matches theirs in terms of talent, but there is a place and a time. Away from home with only a point needed was not the time. Foolish approach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in Cuba last week for a family vacation. When I got to my room, turned the TV on and was very happy to see that the resort carried ESPN2. So I missed the Friday family supper to watch the game. I should of went for supper. Like everyone here very disappointed with the play and result but nobody mentioned the missed penalty call for us in the 12th minute. Even the US commentators thought it should of been called. I not saying we would have won or tied the game for sure but it could of changed things. PS. That game cost the all inclusive resort a few extra drinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I was in Cuba last week for a family vacation. When I got to my room, turned the TV on and was very happy to see that the resort carried ESPN2. So I missed the Friday family supper to watch the game. I should of went for supper. Like everyone here very disappointed with the play and result but nobody mentioned the missed penalty call for us in the 12th minute. Even the US commentators thought it should of been called. I not saying we would have won or tied the game for sure but it could of changed things. PS. That game cost the all inclusive resort a few extra drinks.

It was outside the box

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

It was outside the box

And Arfield was fouled but tried to sell it. Why does he try to sell it? Because he got fouled 2 or 3 times leading up to that and the ref did not call it. We had a lot of calls go against us, but this is concacaf for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...