USA vs Canada - Friday Nov 15th, Orlando FL

Disastrous performance all -together!!!.... I don't know what the f happened tonight!!!!... We welted once more under pressure and there didn't seem to be any flow/rhythm in this game!!!! .... Our attack, the most dangerous guys were pretty non-existent, passing and touches were pretty sub-standard for the most part and I guess we were lacking that grit/determination from the 1st go at them!!!!.... First goal(lucky bounce my all accounts) and David i guess we can make him responsible, pretty much set up the disaster, though, wouldn't have guessed it would be that awful at the end!!!!... 

2nd goal was pretty much a mental lapse as well (I'm pretty sue by no one other than Doneil) as bloody Zardes came out of nowhere to head it in and Milan may have come off his line a little too quick as bloody Morris tried to keep the ball under control!

Agreed that burning that sub on Doneil was a complete lost opportunity and should have been use in another lad in the search for some spark/offence!!!

Seems like Eustáquio was pretty solid from what everyone is saying, just left for the train as he entered the field, therefore can't really comment on him too much!

Vitória goal was a nice, strong header off that set piece which bounced off Osorio(looked like he again did not use his best decision-making by accounts here in the 85th minute) I am sure

Pretty disappointed and Piette was not the dominant destroyer, midfield general as in the first game!!!

I was not expecting a W by any means, despite some absences from the USMNT, but felt pretty good at getting the result (draw, likely a 0-0, ugly 1-1 draw type of thing), but no means this rout!!!!

I hope this result doesn't set us back   and now our fate is lying in thin thread (miraculous result from Cuba on Tues.) , but I guess the only positive may be that we play some friendlies (semi-competitive ones in order to maintain our Hex positioning)

And could be the perfect time to instil some changes as many in here are suggesting. (e.g. try out Crépeau in net, maybe even Carducci, Adekugbe at lb, David as a #10, Phonzy strickly on the wing,  Eustáquio as a deep-lying playmaker, great to have him cap-tied now btw)

And yes, I also feel that the CB pairing of Vitória & Cornelius is the way to go!!!

A lost opportunity, indeed and still rendering in despair!!!!! 😢

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

Agree but we still need to improve here.  Unfortunately even a Cornelius & Vitoria starting center back pair doesn't save us tonight or in any critical games.

I am not so sure that Cornelius doesn’t make a difference if he starts tonight. Full disclosure I am not even sure who of the CBs should have been covering the left and who the right, but why was Morris and another American so wide open on the first goal? Maybe Cornelius is smart enough to just be generally in the way on that side and USA doesn’t score in the first 2 minutes. Maybe he could have defended the headed goals that Henry missed (and from what I remember from Henry’s TFC days he was a beast in the air. Not tonight!)

45 minutes ago, grigorio said:

Knee jerk emotional back from the bar analysis...

-Piette with a few real uncharacteristic brain dead passes leading to clear and brutal direct giveaways 

-Borjan with his all too familiar share of poor decision making and sketchy distribution leading directly to a counter and goal conceded. I’d totally be down to give crepeau a run of games why the hell not  

-Cavallini and David playing actual stern International competition is good for them to experience. Surprisingly and disappointingly quiet tonight. 

-Davies is so much better than anyone on that field that it frustrates him and leads to poor decision making. 

-That one chance Osorio had dribbling into the box around the 85th minute or so that he overplayed (familiar) instead of getting a shot off was our last gasp and I wish he just committed. It looked like an osorio of old moment that he seemed to move past with more confidence in his own game the last couple of years. 

I wrote this before the 1st Canada vs USA game, and people didn’t want to hear it about Piette. When teams press him (go watch the Mexico match), he gives the ball up. I love him for the ball winner he is, and MOTM last game, but it didn’t help that him and Kaye have played a combined 30 minutes the last month. They really need Hutch tonight, and this Davies at LB experiment needs to end. I honestly can’t name one time since the Gold Cup where Cornelius is main man at fault. He’s a horrible passer, but so is Henry, and he has stinkers all the time. 

This team to get to the next level needs another CB, but this match is on Herdman. Completely fucked up the lineup, and didn’t have enough in form ball winners in the middle. There was a massive hole in front of the back 4 all night. After they scored their second goal, how does he not make some sort of adjustment? Like that’s embarrassing... and I will say one more thing. One thing a coach can do is work on set pieces... they scored from 2 of them, and almost a 3rd. Shows they weren’t ready.

For me, Herdmen is a motivator, not tactician. I personally don’t believe he’s the guy for the job.  

54 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Davies needs to be upfront,  end of discussion. I dont give a rat's ass what he did against Dortmund. He doesnt have the same players supporting him here.

Yeah this crossed my mind, at Bayern he doesn't have to worry about all of these mistakes/defensive lapses from others as much and can focus on his job way more. With Canada at LB there's a lot less 1v1 defending for him and way more scrambling after we make awful giveaways. He did run his ass off this game but it has to be quite tiring when he has try to do so much.

Also why didn't we get David way more involved?!?!?!?! I don't like him up top when he's not getting any service, I wish he could have dropped back more to be a playmaker. This was the quietest game he has played for us.

It's not even like Davies is a career lb, he's played a few games there but for the most part has been an attacker in his career.  We finally get a guy who is dynamic on the ball and who can attract a ton of attention and beat players and Herdman in our biggest games has put him at lb.  Herdman is just out of his league, the team was ill prepared and he ran out a 4-4-2 with basically no attackers who can break lines and trouble teams on the break aside from David and that's not even his major strong point.  This game was easy to set up tactically, you play a compact 4-3-3 and you try to frustrate the opposition and look to counter, but he played Davies as an attacking lb in a game we should be defending a decent amount because ???? This is our most exciting team in for ever and this guy has no clue what he's doing or how to prepare a team.  Was the same thing in the gold cup, poor job setting the team up and not utilizing his best player at all.  It's like when Spurs played Gareth Bale at lb, just a huge waste of talent of someone who's not a great defender anyways.  

I know everyone freaking out but really I think we were just outclassed on the night. I don’t think we need to throw the whole team or even make to many changes. Borjan is still better then Crepeau. I don’t even think he made a mistake tonight and it’s hard to blame him for the goals because are defence fell apart on each one. Eustaqio looked good when he came on and I think Cornelius showed he should be paired with Vitoria. I also think tonight has shown Davies shouldn’t play LB for us and the RB spot is still very much up for grabs.

5 minutes ago, TOCanada115 said:

I wrote this before the 1st Canada vs USA game, and people didn’t want to hear it about Piette. When teams press him (go watch the Mexico match), he gives the ball up. I love him for the ball winner he is, and MOTM last game, but it didn’t help that him and Kaye have played a combined 30 minutes the last month. They really need Hutch tonight, and this Davies at LB experiment needs to end. I honestly can’t name one time since the Gold Cup where Cornelius is main man at fault. He’s a horrible passer, but so is Henry, and he has stinkers all the time. 

Fully agree. I liked how he played in the last match, but I also mentioned how he was overly aggressive at times. He pushed up to close down Bradley multiple times and all it did was allow Bradley to make simple passes behind Piette to find a wide open player. And yes, under pressure he's scary with the ball. Doesn't have the composure or technique as Kaye, Hutchinson, or Eustaquio. Also, when needing a goal, Kaye should've stayed on. Piette provided some hard tackles, but man we needed Kayes' vision and passes upfront.

7 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Dear... God...Not only is he not phased by his performance today, but he also thinks he's better than Alaba...

He's a moron, its not even a difficult calculation to make.  Davies is the best LB, RW, LW, RB etc and at LB he barely has a chance to influence the game.  At Bayern he's playing LB because they have Gnabry, Coman, Perisic, Mueller ahead of him, Herdman has absolutely no idea what he's doing if he thinks its a no brainer, just absolutely no idea how to utilize his best players.  The best LB for Bayern plays CM for Austria because of the gulf in talent from Bayern to Austria and because he influences the game massively, Herdman is just copying people's work because he's not at the level to sort these problems out for himself.  

I think Herdman got this wrong. He played Phonzie at LB but Phonzie didn't get the memo. He would never play like that at Bayern but in his defense you see near the end how he was able to dance around people at will in the attack. I also think Cornelius should have started and I really like Doneil. One positive is I think Eustaquio looked very promising. I don't think we were outclassed I just think game had s really strange rythem with the early goal

Edited by SpursFlu

27 minutes ago, TOCanada115 said:

For me, Herdmen is a motivator, not tactician. I personally don’t believe he’s the guy for the job.

I'm not so sure.  If he was such a good motivator, I would expect more mental strength from the team so they don't completely fall apart when face with adversity - I'm thinking second half vs. Haiti, Borjan screaming at teammates and 2nd minute today

41 minutes ago, Kent said:

I am not so sure that Cornelius doesn’t make a difference if he starts tonight. Full disclosure I am not even sure who of the CBs should have been covering the left and who the right, but why was Morris and another American so wide open on the first goal? Maybe Cornelius is smart enough to just be generally in the way on that side and USA doesn’t score in the first 2 minutes. Maybe he could have defended the headed goals that Henry missed (and from what I remember from Henry’s TFC days he was a beast in the air. Not tonight!)

Cornelius although played better than Henry did look just like Henry on that last goal.  Poorly timed or poorly judged jump for a header that led to his goal.  If I'm not mistaken, all 3 of Vitoria, Henry & Cornelius had poor header attempts that led to goals in this game.

38 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Outside the whole Davies debacle, it needs to be said Herdman has no idea what to do with David. He's invisible against better opposition for Canada.

Eh... he was fine against Mexico.

And holy shit this board is a pendulum when it comes to Herdman. He's either the best ever or the worst coach in history.

Truth is he lies somewhere in the middle, and sometimes teams (especially Canada) will crap the bed. That's soccer. Move on and keep trying to get better over time instead of overreacting with each result (good or bad).

3 minutes ago, Lofty said:

I'll give them credit and say "good finishing" rather than "luck" but yeah, I think the scoreline flattered them. They really weren't that good.

We were sloppy in possession and made several mistakes that led directly to US goals. The scoreline indeed flatters them. Having said that, bad giveaways have cost this group a couple of big games this year. We need to clean things up.

As Mike Tyson said, everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the face. Herdman is great when things go according to his carefully laid plans, but when a curveball comes our way, like today's early goal, everything falls apart.

Herdman has shown a consistent inability to respond tactically in games. It is what it is. I don't think it's going to get any better, it's part of his personality. It's a weakness we have to work around, just like our defence. 

We created zip at the end of the day. It certainly felt like they scored against the run of play at times but they CREATED clear opportunities and FINISHED them. 

It is an absolute fucker to take. We got more eyes on us in the general public, fought an under strength US side and still blew it when it mattered most..again.

It will sadly overshadow all of the positives of the past year or so.