USA vs Canada - Friday Nov 15th, Orlando FL

I know the score line is bad but I don’t think it was that bad. 
the early goal screwed up the whole game plan of a tight close game to frustrate them and get them in the counter. After that we looked rattled and were chasing the game and made some decent mistakes. A few players were off there game but really don’t think one off performance we should throw out the bath water. Some really good strides have been made here and I think we just keep moving forward. 
Rome wasn’t built in a day ...  for me the future is still bright 

I still think we have improved and are moving in the right direction....

my two cents...

A bold choice by Herdman to go with a more offensive line-up and formation on the road than the one that worked so well at home (where both of our goals were scored on counters in that game) but it did not pay off. I guess the people  wanting to see Canada play attacking soccer will take some solace from that, but it was a gamble that didn't work and when we only needed a draw to win the group, that is a shame. In fairness to Herdman, a few players individually had woeful performance, with Cavallini being the most disappointing. And this was still a US team for the taking, because they weren't that impressive - we had to switch off to let them score and we looked the more talented but mistake prone team. But onwards and upwards. No use in dwelling upon it though, start scheduling some friendlies pronto.

I liked what I saw from Eustaquio in his debut. Still good fight by the team and much to be encouraged about.

It was just a bad game overall. Bad mistakes , wrong player selection/position, no  rhythm and  creativity. It just felt like we were trying long balling to Davies all night. There was no control in the midfield. I’m sorry but Piette should have been sub off. His  offence was awful! We needed Hutch !  Or someone to be that controlling option when they are all over Arfield and Osorio ( who looked really tired out there).  

Edited by SpecialK

Why do people hate the idea of Adekugbe or Miller being our LB? Why do I keep seeing Davies and Kaye being mentioned?

Kaye needs to stay in the mid and Davies needs to be upfront,  end of discussion. I dont give a rat's ass what he did against Dortmund. He doesnt have the same players supporting him here. Believe it or not, he still showed signs of weakness in that game.   

Davies was giving them hell when he pushed up to the box.  We were missing that the whole game, but nope, gotta place him alllll the way back at defence. Ffs.

The 2 strikers today were disappointing today.

Cornelius should've started today too. Not at all happy Herdman decided to fuck around with a line up that worked so well last time. Even more concerning was his quote about Davies after the game.

Edited by Colliedor

18 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Why are we so so against using an actual LB at LB? Like Adekugbe for instance, who is a starter for Vålerenga.

Herdman said at the post presser that he only played 2 out of the past 6. Form appeared to be a key selection criteria as he also noted Miller hadn't played for a month.

There were some horrendous errors leading to their goals but I think we were set up for failure, Herdman to me is tactically naive, one good result vs non minnows, bad in the 3 losses! Maybe he grows into the job and there will be lots of opportunities as we will be playing many matches against minnows, I'm not convinced he should be the guy leading us forward!

Knee jerk emotional back from the bar analysis...

-Piette with a few real uncharacteristic brain dead passes leading to clear and brutal direct giveaways 

-Borjan with his all too familiar share of poor decision making and sketchy distribution leading directly to a counter and goal conceded. I’d totally be down to give crepeau a run of games why the hell not  

-Cavallini and David playing actual stern International competition is good for them to experience. Surprisingly and disappointingly quiet tonight. 

-Davies is so much better than anyone on that field that it frustrates him and leads to poor decision making. 

-That one chance Osorio had dribbling into the box around the 85th minute or so that he overplayed (familiar) instead of getting a shot off was our last gasp and I wish he just committed. It looked like an osorio of old moment that he seemed to move past with more confidence in his own game the last couple of years. 

2 hours ago, dpetzz said:

what is more embarassing....the performance or the fact that professional players don't know the rules....

discuss

Honestly, the rules. I was so embarrassed, especially since Borjan, a veteran goalkeeper felt so strongly that he almost got two yellows complaining about a rule that he was 100% wrong about. Keepers only need to know a couple rules, don’t need to worry about hand balls or offside, and he doesn’t know the back pass rule. And three or four other players were complaining to the ref about it too. And nobody on the field saying “this is actually a rule guys. Calm down and line up for the free kick.”

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

Honestly, the rules. I was so embarrassed, especially since Borjan, a veteran goalkeeper felt so strongly that he almost got two yellows complaining about a rule that he was 100% wrong about. Keepers only need to know a couple rules, don’t need to worry about hand balls or offside, and he doesn’t know the back pass rule. And three or four other players were complaining to the ref about it too. And nobody on the field saying “this is actually a rule guys. Calm down and line up for the free kick.”

I was watching through my fingers as they surrounded the ref. Pure cringe.

So close, yet so far away.

We were unable to stay calm and stick with the game plan after their first goal. Instead of sitting back and absorbing, we went for it right away, and they caught us.  That is down to both coach and players.  

Away games are away games and we need to be a bit more respectful of the situation next time. They're not going to just let us play. We need to expect that and grind out results the hard way.

Eustaquio was excellent when he came on, but by then the Americans had taken their foot off the gas a bit.

Cornelius also looked very comfortable out there. He seems to work well with Vitoria. 

We need to try Crepeau in net. We need to try Adekugbe at LB. We need to try David as a 10.  We need to try Eustaquio as a deep lying playmaker, and yes, we need to give Cyle Larin a run of games. 

It's not quite over yet. Let's see what Montserrat can do.

1 minute ago, BrennanFan said:

So close, yet so far away.

We were unable to stay calm and stick with the game plan after their first goal. Instead of sitting back and absorbing, we went for it right away, and they caught us.  That is down to both coach and players.  

Away games are away games and we need to be a bit more respectful of the situation next time. They're not going to just let us play. We need to expect that and grind out results the hard way.

Eustaquio was excellent when he came on, but by then the Americans had taken their foot off the gas a bit.

Cornelius also looked very comfortable out there. He seems to work well with Vitoria. 

We need to try Crepeau in net. We need to try Adekugbe at LB. We need to try David as a 10.  We need to try Eustaquio as a deep lying playmaker, and yes, we need to give Cyle Larin a run of games. 

It's not quite over yet. Let's see what Montserrat can do.

It’s almost like we need some friendlies to try some stuff. 

17 minutes ago, Big_M said:

adekugbe simply has important defensive weaknesses like davies, miller..lost the lb spot in club until the lb was then sent to play cb

Ya, but Davies is also starting at LB with Bayern due to injuries as well. In the end, I would much rather have an experienced LB over Davies anytime. Adekugbe may not be the BEST around, but my God does he look much more at  home in that position than Davies. Davies just looks awkward to me everytime he plays there.

On 11/13/2019 at 6:03 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I think this is fairly close to realistic. We've been far too optimistic since the win in October.

Canada win 5

Draw 3.5

USA win 1.45

The USA is still heavy favourites.

http://miseojeu.lotoquebec.com/en/betting-offer?idAct=49&parHeure=168

We are all drowning our sorrows together here in downtown Orlando.