USA vs Canada - Friday Nov 15th, Orlando FL

USMNT Roster 

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2019/11/nine-players-added-to-usmnt-roster-for-concacaf-nations-league-matches-against-canada-cuba

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC; 62/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 8/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 0/0)

DEFENDERS (10): John Brooks (Wolfsburg/GER; 37/3), Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas; 9/0), Sergiño Dest (Ajax/NED; 2/0), Chase Gasper (Minnesota United FC; 0/0), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 9/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 14/2), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact/CAN; 12/0), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 38/1), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United/ENG; 60/0), Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 11/2)

MIDFIELDERS (5): Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 12/2), Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER; 17/6), Alfredo Morales (Fortuna Düsseldorf/GER; 14/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 20/0), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 4/0)

FORWARDS (6): Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 30/5), Corey Baird (Real Salt Lake; 4/0), Tyler Boyd (Besiktas/TUR; 8/2), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 34/14), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; 11/3), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 54/10)

Edited by Ansem

Dest and Brooks in.

Both are good players, but neither is playing much at the moment, as far as I know. Dest has remained on the Ajax bench ever since he declared for the usmnt and Brooks was on the bench last Europa league fixture against Gent, plus he seems to regularly be on the bench whenever I check up on the Wolfsburg lineups in the Bundesliga.

Boyd continues to get called despite not playing at all for Besiktas. He has only made 5 league apperances all season and none of those, as far as I know, have been recent.

Morales has also been recalled.

American fans seem high on Morales, but I think they are more unhappy with their midfield than impressed with Morales. I think he is playing regularly in the Bundesliga, so he is going to be preferred to any MLS defensive midfielder by default.

Edited by Obinna

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

The best thing is Tim Ream is there. He didn’t look good last game, Aaron long played much better.

Probably for his ability to play left back, but man was he ever tortured by Davies. His call up is hard to comprehend though regardless. He was terrible.

9 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

No Adams and therefore no ball-winners in midfield. 

Also no Steffen. Both are injured. In fact, Adams hasn't even made the bench for RB Leipzig in any competition this season. He is recovering, but clearly he is not ready, fortunately for us.

Zack Steffen is a big loss for them too. He is their clear number 1. Perhaps Guzan starts for them now. He won't make any blunders, but I don't think he is capable of the incredible, so I like our chances.

3 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

How hard is it to put a infographic up with the players we’ve selected. At this rate we won’t know the squad until the starting lineup is announced.

Not hard at all.  There must be a reason for the later than usual timeframe.  As a fan, I'd love to know.  Strategically (even if it isn't on purpose), I'd also love them to not announce a single thing until next Friday afternoon. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

There are no Toronto or Seattle players selected. I wonder if Herdman will do the same and omit Osorio and Laryea?

I'm surprised by the Morris omission tbh. I'm not a Morris fan, but for me he was quite decent for them last window and felt played with good intensity and composure.

Their best scoring chance vs us was set up by him but Pulisic failed to finish. He played great in the one Seattle playoff match I watched (bagged a hatty). 

Not complaining, just surprised he was left off, also surprised they keep leaving that midfielder from Derby County (Holmes) in England Championship off rosters. 

Edited by apbsmith
Duane Holmes

As Obinna mentioned, I find it interesting that there are no TFC (Altidore is no surprise, but no Bradley or Gonzalez either) or Seattle (Jordan Morris, and wasn’t Roldan on the USMNT last game?). Hopefully the delay isn’t due to MLS trying to strong arm us from calling our TFC guys. Conspiracy theory stuff at this point but if we don’t have TFC guys on our roster I don’t know if I will be able to forgive MLS any time soon.

Just realized 10 defenders for the USA called in, I have to say, I didn't see that one coming from them. Wonder if US go a a traditional back 4 or 3 at the back with 2 Wingbacks. Hhhmm

No Steffen is huge also IMO, it might  have been alot worse for them without him at BMO. 

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

As Obinna mentioned, I find it interesting that there are no TFC (Altidore is no surprise, but no Bradley or Gonzalez either) or Seattle (Jordan Morris, and wasn’t Roldan on the USMNT last game?). Hopefully the delay isn’t due to MLS trying to strong arm us from calling our TFC guys. Conspiracy theory stuff at this point but if we don’t have TFC guys on our roster I don’t know if I will be able to forgive MLS any time soon.

Why would MLS care about guys being called after the season is over?

The USMNT must have the same concern that I had.  MLS Cup is too close to this match AND they even have a match after.  

Edited by CanadaFan123

25 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Why would MLS care about guys being called after the season is over?

The USMNT must have the same concern that I had.  MLS Cup is too close to this match AND they even have a match after.  

Yeah, very unlikely at all. The only conceivable reason would be for promotional type stuff, including victory parades, and/or time with the media.

It's just so odd to me that they would use this game as an excuse to not call players. Players regularly get called despite having a game 5 days before the international. No doubt several players on this roster have games this weekend as well.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Dest and Brooks in.

Both are good players, but neither is playing much at the moment, as far as I know. Dest has remained on the Ajax bench ever since he declared for the usmnt and Brooks was on the bench last Europa league fixture against Gent, plus he seems to regularly be on the bench whenever I check up on the Wolfsburg lineups in the Bundesliga.

Boyd continues to get called despite not playing at all for Besiktas. He has only made 5 league apperances all season and none of those, as far as I know, have been recent.

Brooks not even on the bench against Gent, but Boyd does get the surprise start today against a Hutchinson-less Besiktas.

They are bottom of their Europa group, so maybe just giving their depth a run out....