USA vs Canada - Friday Nov 15th, Orlando FL

16 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

I disagree. If we lose to Curaçao in the Nations' League, it's probably over.

Good point but where would that leave Costa Rica? You can't lose points in the playoff stage

And I think that groups a bit of a dog's breakfast so they would play Mexico. We would play Honduras

Edited by SpursFlu

My squad prediction.

Take the October 22-man squad (that included Fraser instead of Johnson, but technically did not include Henry)

http://canadasoccer.com/canada-s-top-players-to-feature-in-toronto-for-rivalry-match-against-usa-in-concacaf-nations-league--p162392

remove Córdova, Teibert, Eustáquio, Didić and Adekugbe

Include De Jong, Zator, Akindele, Johnson, Doneil Henry, Larin and Hutchinson for a 24-man squad.

39 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

So are we at a consensus that a W or Tie pretty much guarantees a spot in the HEX?

A win yes. A tie no. See my rambling post here:

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/77146-nations-league-standings-after-game-vs-usa/?do=findComment&comment=859310

27 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

I disagree. If we lose to Curaçao in the Nations' League, it's probably over.

It seems unlikely that we will play Curaçao if we qualify for the Nations League final round by getting a draw vs the USA. Mexico and Honduras will get the wins I think.

This is possible if we beat the USA; but even if we win by two goals we would be at +11 goal differential. If Mexico get identical results as they did last month they will still be at +12 goal differential. This would likely make the matches Mexico vs Curaçao and Canada vs Honduras.

But yes, your point stands: IF we beat the USA and IF Curaçao beat Costa Rica AND we get a better goal difference than Mexico, we would likely be screwed if we lost to Curaçao

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

So are we at a consensus that a W or Tie pretty much guarantees a spot in the HEX?

A win pretty well assures it. If we draw, we probably end up playing Honduras in the semis, while a few points behind El Salvador. A draw against the U.S. and a win against Honduras would put us back into the Hex, but I'm not sure if it would put us so far ahead as to guarantee a spot.

Just as a side note, people are too worried about Curacao I think. Even if they get past Costa Rica, they'll probably have to go through Mexico in the semis.  Our chances of playing them our very low, in addition. As long as Mexico handles Panama, and Honduras doesn't completely blow it against Trinidad (and assuming we get past the U.S.), the semis will be Canada vs. Honduras and Mexico vs. Curacao. 

Edited by PiedPilko

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

My squad prediction.

Take the October 22-man squad (that included Fraser instead of Johnson, but technically did not include Henry)

http://canadasoccer.com/canada-s-top-players-to-feature-in-toronto-for-rivalry-match-against-usa-in-concacaf-nations-league--p162392

remove Córdova, Teibert, Eustáquio, Didić and Adekugbe

Include De Jong, Zator, Akindele, Johnson, Doneil Henry, Larin and Hutchinson for a 24-man squad.

A win yes. A tie no. See my rambling post here:

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/77146-nations-league-standings-after-game-vs-usa/?do=findComment&comment=859310

It seems unlikely that we will play Curaçao if we qualify for the Nations League final round by getting a draw vs the USA. Mexico and Honduras will get the wins I think.

This is possible if we beat the USA; but even if we win by two goals we would be at +11 goal differential. If Mexico get identical results as they did last month they will still be at +12 goal differential. This would likely make the matches Mexico vs Curaçao and Canada vs Honduras.

But yes, your point stands: IF we beat the USA and IF Curaçao beat Costa Rica AND we get a better goal difference than Mexico, we would likely be screwed if we lost to Curaçao

Lol on what planet does De Jong get called after a ruptured Achilles and one CPL appearance this year?

Nevermind. Same planet as Estaquio with a torn ACL and a few U20 games under his belt I guess. 

13 hours ago, Shway said:

My squad projection list:

GKs: Borjan, Crépeau, Carducci 

DFs: Henry, Cornelius, Miller, Vitoria, Laryea, Adekugbe, Cordova, 

MFs: Piette, Arfield, Hutchinson, Kaye, Osorio, Fraser, Wotherspoon 

FWs: Davies, David, Hoilett, Cavallini, Larin, Borges

Mostly looks good, however:

Estaquio > Wotherspoon

Millar > Borges

Estaquio i could almost understand, due to limited playing time due to the injury, but how does Borges make the 18 over Millar?  Just a tip of the hat to CPL?  Or do you actually see Borges bringing more to the game/team than Millar? 

While I would be extremely happy with a draw because it would win us the group and we would advance to the semi-final, the door would still be open a bit for some potential CONCACAFery. I could just see a situation develop where Panama gets an unexpected draw with Mexico, and Honduras wins out, putting Honduras 1st with Mexico and us as the 2 vs. 3 matchup.

10 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

--------------------------- Cavallini 

Davies

-------------------- Osorio ------- Arfield

----------------- Hutchinson --- Piette

------------------------------------------------------------ Laryea

Miller -------- Vitoria ----------- Henry

----------------------------- Borjan 

I like, but i don't think Herdman goes with the box midfield in back to back games, especially on the road.  I expect a little more defensive focus.

For the people saying we won’t play Curaçao and then listing the most likely semi final match ups, don’t forget that after the semi finals is a final as well as a third place game. If both teams win or both teams lose their semi finals, we would play each other.

Also keep in mind for the scenario where we meet in the final, if they win in regulation and we win in a shootout, our win would earn less points than it would for winning in regulation.

There are way too many permutations for me to bother trying to figure it all out. The picture will get clearer with each window. The next one is right around the corner. Let’s see how that one goes first.

Here's my 11:

————-David - Cavallini 

Davies - Hutch - Piette - Arfield - Laryea

——-Cornelius - Vitoria - Henry

- Gives us the most flexibility, with a defensive focus.  Davies and Laryea can rotate going forward, yet still be available to cover at the back with their pace and stamina.

- We’d still be ridiculously dangerous on the counter.

- If we go down a goal, we bring in Osorio and Hoilett

19 minutes ago, Kent said:

For the people saying we won’t play Curaçao and then listing the most likely semi final match ups, don’t forget that after the semi finals is a final as well as a third place game. If both teams win or both teams lose their semi finals, we would play each other.

Also keep in mind for the scenario where we meet in the final, if they win in regulation and we win in a shootout, our win would earn less points than it would for winning in regulation.

There are way too many permutations for me to bother trying to figure it all out. The picture will get clearer with each window. The next one is right around the corner. Let’s see how that one goes first.

Exactly. The third place match is key.

I believe teams still earn 'tie' points in extra time losses.  Curacao would earn more total points if they tied the semi final against Mex and then lost in extra time, and then beat Honduras in the third place game - compared to us beating Honduras in our semi and then losing to Mex in the final.  

I'd feel more comfortable if Costa Rica got the job done and won their group.

11 hours ago, costarg said:

but how does Borges make the 18 over Millar?  Just a tip of the hat to CPL?  Or do you actually see Borges bringing more to the game/team than Millar? 

Because they are equally talented, and Borges is coming off a great season. I dont think either of them will play regardless of whos in the team, so I'm rewarding the guy who has had results, and success! 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Because they are equally talented, and Borges is coming off a great season. I dont think either of them will play regardless of whos in the team, so I'm rewarding the guy who has had results, and success! 

So are you saying that the talent to play in the CPL is the same as the Scottish Premier League?  I hope not cause in spite of my support of the CPL, currently, it isn't even at the level of the Scottish Championship, let alone the Premier League. 

8 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

So are you saying that the talent to play in the CPL is the same as the Scottish Premier League?  I hope not cause in spite of my support of the CPL, currently, it isn't even at the level of the Scottish Championship, let alone the Premier League. 

No, you could only draw that conclusion if their results in the respective leagues were similar.

Liam Millar - 751 minutes, 1 goal, 1 assist

Tristan Borges - 1974 minutes, 13 goals, 5 assists

The fact Borges did so much better in CPL than Millar is doing in Scotland is what makes this a conversation.

12 minutes ago, Kent said:

No, you could only draw that conclusion if their results in the respective leagues were similar.

Liam Millar - 751 minutes, 1 goal, 1 assist

Tristan Borges - 1974 minutes, 13 goals, 5 assists

The fact Borges did so much better in CPL than Millar is doing in Scotland is what makes this a conversation.

Perhaps but it also depends on the talent you are playing against on a weekly basis. Don’t get me wrong-I believe Borges had a strong season.  Borges is now done for the season and there are still 25 games or so left in the SPFL.  I’m fortunate to watch both leagues regularly and Millar plays against better competition every single match.