USA vs Canada - Friday Nov 15th, Orlando FL

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, no disrespect to the CPL guys - especially on this day - but I don’t see any of them legitimately displacing the guys we know are in contention for a call.   Drop one of our attacking mids  for Borges?  Sorry, nope.  Drop a higher level defender for Zator or Didic?  Not for me.  Not for this one especially.  

Borges for Millar could definitely be done. Tbh I think he gets the drop for Larin back in the squad. 

32 minutes ago, Shway said:

Borges for Millar could definitely be done. Tbh I think he gets the drop for Larin back in the squad. 

I guess that is why I don’t see CPL guys getting in.  We left Larin, Tesho, and others who are not only playing at a higher level but producing there.  

I hope Borges keeps improving - I just don’t see that any CPL player is there yet.  

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

The way Edgar played maybe get gets a look.

He might be the only one I would think about but with Henry now back I just don’t see it.  

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

He might be the only one I would think about but with Henry now back I just don’t see it.  

Henry was called last time as one of the 23 so he’s not really “back” since he was holding that spot anyway.  Didic on the other hand should be dropped.  The only thing is that Herdman may only want one older veteran and right now that’s Vitoria. 

I can see Larin getting a call  I would only use him as a late sub though to be honest, I think Herdmann has to tell his guys that this game in Orlando is way more important than Oct 15. For one thing A place in the Hex is at stake , The Americans are going to be coming at them harder,  Hopefully Herdmann  uses some of the commentary from the American Soccer Media as extra motivation

On 11/1/2019 at 1:49 PM, Club Linesman said:

Wow with that level of intensity it makes you wonder if we should even bother playing the game.😜. If that is his fired up mode to revenge a massive loss, I like our chances of winning another one even more.

He is 100% more fired up in that video than early Vanney was in his locker room talks.

On 11/2/2019 at 3:34 AM, CanadaFan123 said:

That’s funny stuff but seriously this is going to be a crazy match.  “Pride, passion, payback” the yanks are taking this seriously and we’re away from home.  This will really show us if Herdman is the man going forward.  

Let me guess. If we lose the game then Herdman will have to be held accountable.

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

Why would we drop a two sided fullback(one of our weaker positions) for a CB(when we already have one of our top choice CBs coming back from suspension)? 

Because Cordova hasn't been playing due to the unrest in Chile and it seems that Herdman always considered him to be on the frindge of the squad.

I would not he surprised if he was dropped.

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

Why would we drop a two sided fullback(one of our weaker positions) for a CB(when we already have one of our top choice CBs coming back from suspension)? 

Zator did not have a fantastic finals but played very well much of the year at right back.

I think fair to say Laryea has grabbed the RB spot in the eleven at this point but that Herdman is still auditioning young players there. Who knows. Godinho has been playing regularly in Germany so again who knows maybe he gets called back if Cordova is on ice because of unrest. 

Also, on the road I think we may see a more defensive formation especially late in the game if tied or up. That might look like a back 3 with Vitoria, Henry, Cornelius with Miller (also CB option) and Laryea. Big bodies like Didic (apparently did well last camp) and Zator could be useful down the stretch if US is pushing for win and we are facing a barrage of set pieces in our own half (not that I think either would see the pitch unless emergency like injury or early red).

Having said that, I am still holding my breath that Laryea comes through MLS finals healthy. 

I think zator has really grown into a decent right back this year, but I am not yet convinced he can play well there at the international level, especially against the USA. If he makes the squad this window (he's not there yet imo), I think he would be a centre back. In the future though, his ability to play both may come in handy, just like Miller on the left.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I think zator has really grown into a decent right back this year, but I am not yet convinced he can play well there at the international level, especially against the USA. If he makes the squad this window (he's not there yet imo), I think he would be a centre back. In the future though, his ability to play both may come in handy, just like Miller on the left.

Who are we convinced off?  Cordova or Godinho??  Before them Petrasso or Aird??  Stalteri??  Jamie Peters...just kidding.  I think you might bring in Zator just like they had Didic last time.  One game window, he's not going to see the field, but you see what he can do first hand in camp.  I dont mind at all if they rotate some guys in at the bottom end of the roster.  Borges, Pasher, give a couple of these guys a shot every camp.  

21 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Who are we convinced off?  Cordova or Godinho??  Before them Petrasso or Aird??  Stalteri??  Jamie Peters...just kidding.  I think you might bring in Zator just like they had Didic last time.  One game window, he's not going to see the field, but you see what he can do first hand in camp.  I dont mind at all if they rotate some guys in at the bottom end of the roster.  Borges, Pasher, give a couple of these guys a shot every camp.  

Just my opinion based on what I see.

Had another chance yesterday to see him up close. He looked far more comfortable and in-sync at right back than when I first saw him at right back against Montreal.

Still though, for me he does not offer enough offensively from the position, even at the CPL level, so I think he would be a Karl Ouimette type of right back for us, good defensively but offering little going forward.

I am optimistic he can improve, but I don't think he'll ever be a Richie Layera or Juan Cordova type of right back. That's okay of course, he doesn't have to be that sort of right back, but I do want our full backs to contribute offensively. That's just a personal preference.

This is why I like Miller by the way. I can see him growing more on the attacking side at fullback, while remaining sturdy defensively. I think he has a higher ceiling than zator as far as attacking goes.

Edited by Obinna

52 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Just my opinion based on what I see.

Had another chance yesterday to see him up close. He looked far more comfortable and in-sync at right back than when I first saw him at right back against Montreal.

Still though, for me he does not offer enough offensively from the position, even at the CPL level, so I think he would be a Karl Ouimette type of right back for us, good defensively but offering little going forward.

I am optimistic he can improve, but I don't think he'll ever be a Richie Layera or Juan Cordova type of right back. That's okay of course, he doesn't have to be that sort of right back, but I do want our full backs to contribute offensively. That's just a personal preference.

This is why I like Miller by the way. I can see him growing more on the attacking side at fullback, while remaining sturdy defensively. I think he has a higher ceiling than zator as far as attacking goes.

Agree to all that.  But I think he is as close to CMNT as Didic or Montgomery, TMG, Comsia etc, everyone below a MLS/Miller level.  But who knows what kind of a spark a call up gives a guy trying to bring his game up a notch?  Even if he is last on the depth chart, working out with the squad and Herdman etc has to be a big incentive/reward for a guy who has had a very good season.  

20 hours ago, Shway said:

This. I would like to see Borges being picked over Millar, especially if we end up doing the "box" formation again. He can play wide or in the middle (if needed) and has been more consistent with his club performances.

I know people are hyped about Millar in this forum, but I personally need to see more from him before I get on that train. He isn't contributing enough in Scotland and I think his performances with Canada showed that he has speed and flash, but no end product.

On 10/17/2019 at 8:39 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I'm in. Flights booked.  @JamboAl is booked.  @trc2014 is booked. @sstackho is in. @flexfox is in.

@admin have you booked? Can we bring the V's banner?

Role call:

@Acid-Tone  & @Cblake have booked I think....

@apbsmith ?

@hamiltonfan ?

@Califax ?

I'm in, with another Toronto type. Staying at the Mariott. Trying to see what the pub and brew options are as well. 

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Agree to all that.  But I think he is as close to CMNT as Didic or Montgomery, TMG, Comsia etc, everyone below a MLS/Miller level.  But who knows what kind of a spark a call up gives a guy trying to bring his game up a notch?  Even if he is last on the depth chart, working out with the squad and Herdman etc has to be a big incentive/reward for a guy who has had a very good season.  

Agree with that as well.

1 hour ago, Colliedor said:

This. I would like to see Borges being picked over Millar, especially if we end up doing the "box" formation again. He can play wide or in the middle (if needed) and has been more consistent with his club performances.

I know people are hyped about Millar in this forum, but I personally need to see more from him before I get on that train. He isn't contributing enough in Scotland and I think his performances with Canada showed that he has speed and flash, but no end product.

I have a feeling it's going to be Larin in and Millar out for this one.

12 hours ago, Obinna said:

I have a feeling it's going to be Larin in and Millar out for this one.

Always a bunch of tough (in a very good way) decisions and Larin absolutely deserves a call-up (even before he started scoring, I said he was doing the right things in Belgium).  I would, however, give us all the pacey counter-attacking options available. 

Watching David run the break last night even being a man down, he would have to be upfront somewhere, for me, and Davies is playing (even in a different position) and perfect for that as well.  However beyond that you need at least the remaining 4 of the front 6 to be willing and able to dig in and graft, whatever formation you play. And there comes our problem, I think. You have guys who are in form but are not that player. 

We will have to absorb some pressure and scrap this one out, I think, but if you bring on someone with straight pace late on, it can often win you the game.  But again who do you drop.