Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread: Sep 21, 2019: HFX vs. Valour

Match can be seen live on CBC and OneSoccer at 2pm ADT (1pm EDT).

This will be the SEVENTH and final meeting between these teams this season, with two of Valour's grand total of three home wins all season coming courtesy of HFX, whilst HFX returned the favour by beating Valour twice at home in league action and also home and away in the Voyageurs Cup: for a decisive 4-2 lead in the overall season series, although the CPL-only series is tied at 2-2 and up for grabs.

Valour are coming off an impressive 4-2 win in York but will be aware that every single win this season has been followed by a loss. Meanwhile, HFX were unlucky to draw their last match, 1-1 at home to the impressive Forge, where they conceded an injury time equalizer; while the match before that was also against Forge, this time in Hamilton, and ended 2-2 after HFX had led 2-0. Forge are clearly a tough nut to crack.

Valour are currently 4th in the Fall Season standings with 15 points from 13 matches and would move ahead of 3rd place Pacific with a win or a draw. HFX currently occupy the basement with 10 points from 12 matches but if they beat Valour 8-0...they will still be last; a nine goal margin of victory is needed to overtake York on goal difference.

Edited by Lofty
Also on CBC - thank you Narduch

7 hours ago, Lofty said:

Valour are currently 4th in the Fall Season standings with 15 points from 13 matches and would move ahead of 3rd place Pacific with a win or a draw. HFX currently occupy the basement with 10 points from 12 matches but if they beat Valour 8-0...they will still be last; a nine goal margin of victory is needed to overtake York on goal difference.

Yup, you've got to consider all the likely outcomes!

I kind of feel other than getting **** kicked by Cavalry & Forge, Valour has done very well in the fall season while HFX have been just flat out bad.. I think they beat HFX 2-0.

5 hours ago, T_Bison said:

I kind of feel other than getting **** kicked by Cavalry & Forge, Valour has done very well in the fall season while HFX have been just flat out bad.. I think they beat HFX 2-0.

I sort of feel the same but one of the other worst Valour results of the fall season was Halifax away, so who knows.

The grounds will be rocking tomorrow - people are really looking forward to this match it has been quite a while since the last Saturday kickoff. We feel an urgency to really take it to Valour - I really think they will be in tough. Wanderers are desperate for 3 points they will be playing very hard. 

However I am slightly biased - and possibly a little drunk   lol

PS anyone making the trip down from Winnipeg?

Valour team news: The goalkeeping situation is getting interesting. I noticed that Janssens wasn't on the bench at York and was therefore presumably injured, which makes me wonder whether Farago is 100% healed or was brought back early in a pinch. Will we see Artemenko at some point? Petrasso must still be questionable while Golubar and Arguiñarena are both out with longer term injuries. Sounded as though Gale thought Beland-Goyette would be fine after going off against York with a sore back but I'd take that with a pinch of salt and would not be shocked to see him rested.

Mitter is suspended for accumulating 4 bookings.

Gale seems to have mended his tinkerman ways and I would not be surprised to see an unchanged line-up, although the LBG situation may intervene. That was a very good Valour performance against York but once again, not exactly a defensive masterclass with Thomas and Murrell the centre back pairing. Still, after shipping ELEVEN GOALS in the previous two matches, both at home, Gale might be delighted with just the two. Valour will miss LBG if he is out, in which case...what? Galán or Gutierrez in for LBG at CM in a straight swap under 4-3-3? Personally, I would also like to see Le Bourhis return at CB with Murrell going to LB and Garcia to his natural RB. There are lots of possibilities and I do hate to leave Ohin out but RB is not his position. Is there any way in hell that Attardo doesn't start as a striker? I hope not.

Projected Valour Line-Up (unchanged):

Formation: 4-3-3;

Goal: Farago;

Defence (R-L): OhinThomasMurrell, Garcia;

Midfield: SacramentoBeland-Goyette, Carreiro;

Forward: BustosAttardo, Musse.

Edited by Lofty

8 hours ago, T_Bison said:

Agreed. That Cavalry match was an object lesson for a rookie coach. Cavalry came in with a point to prove after that late pen denied them the win last time they visited IGF. They physically dominated Valour and if you can do that you will win every time and sometimes big. Valour have quite a few pretty players but every successful team also needs some steel and Valour do not have it. I've never heard of a professional football team losing 8-0 AT HOME before. That is a first for me.

Edited by Lofty

7 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Agreed. That Cavalry match was an object lesson for a rookie coach. Cavalry came in with a point to prove after that late pen denied them the win last time they visited IGF. They physically dominated Valour and if you can do that you will win every time and sometimes big. Valour have quite a few pretty players but every successful team also needs some steel and Valour do not have it. I've never heard of a professional football team losing 8-0 AT HOME before. That is a first for me.

Thomas has some steel in him.  I doubt Cavalry would have gotten all those easy corners if they had to push him around.  

9 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Thomas has some steel in him.  I doubt Cavalry would have gotten all those easy corners if they had to push him around.  

Occassionally, yes, but far too often, no. LBG and Ohin also have some steel but Valour as a team do not have it or they would not have allowed themselves to be so completely dominated physically. 

Prediction: HFX 2 Valour 1

It's hard to ignore history. Valour have NEVER followed a win with anything but a loss and their last match was a win. Valour have a habit of bitting the shed just when it looks as though they have turned a corner. Thomas and Murrell are back at CB. HFX are 3-0-0 vs. Valour at home. HFX are good against almost everyone else at home too. I'm sorry to say it, but it all adds up to a win for HFX.

^^Is it?  Sweet.

As always, feeling good pre-match, hopefully feeling good post-match as well.  Think we're due for some good fortune.  That and maybe the stern schooling the lads endured last home stand was exactly what the doctor ordered, a much needed lesson about personal fortitude.

Good Valour takes the pitch we win.  Bad Valour takes the pitch we lose.  Very insiteful I know but there it is. 

Weather looks to be co-operating so should be a fun afternoon at the grounds.  Break out the Moosehead!

If in fact LBG, Galan, Sacramento, and Petrasso are all injured or unhealthy enough to start, maybe Paolucci at CM isn't the craziest thing in the world? No, it still is. Wtf is going on here?

(I suspect it may actually be a 4-4-2 with Paolucci and Attardo up front, and Musse, Carreiro, Gutierrez and Bustos across the midfield. Or even a 3-5-2 with Ohin finding his way into midfield).

Edited by jonovision

Just now, jonovision said:

Did Valour play on Wednesday? Or do you mean HFX's Gutierrez?

Juan Diego Gutierrez.

I'm Peruvian and Peru is my #1 choice when it comes to football, so more than likely I will always talk about Guti.

13 minutes ago, jonovision said:

If in fact LBG, Galan, Sacramento, and Petrasso are all injured or unhealthy enough to start, maybe Paolucci at CM isn't the craziest thing in the world? No, it still is. Wtf is going on here?

(I suspect it may actually be a 4-4-2 with Paolucci and Attardo up front, and Musse, Carreiro, Gutierrez and Bustos across the midfield. Or even a 3-5-2 with Ohin finding his way into midfield).

I agree with your first thought jono. I don't think it is crazy. Look at the squad. Who else would you put there? Paolucci definitely has the skill for that position.

Disappointed to see that Sacramento is out. He adds a lot offensively.

So are teams all injured? Seems every match now the road team doesn't have a full subs bench. 

I hope they aren't traveling light to cut costs. 

Edited by narduch

Just now, Lofty said:

I agree with your first thought jono. I don't think it is crazy. Look at the squad. Who else would you put there? Paolucci definitely has the skill for that position.

Disappointed to see that Sacramento is out. He adds a lot offensively.

My first thought was that Paolucci absolutely has the passing range and playmaking ability for that position. But he also lacks the fitness or speed to do any of the defensive work normally associated with that spot. I guess we'll see in 25 minutes or so.

3 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Murrel & Thomas at center half without Galan or Louis in the pocket?

Oi.

It is an attacking line up. I like that. If it doesn't work out I won't be giving Gale the gears for trying it. He can't help that LBG and Galán are injured.