Home Field advantage?

Cheeta

Someone has to explain this to me because I'm not getting it. 

Aside from Forge, who dropped points to LAST PLACE Wanderers this weekend, and Cavalry who haven't really played a lot of home matches no other team's home record this Fall Season is especially shouting out "home field advanatage".  And you'd think in this league, things being what they are, that it should.

Pacific and Wanderers are on the very edges of civilization.  I mean seriously, if you went much further left or right you'd fall right off Turtle Island so there has to be some sort of travel advantage just built into their buildings because of geography.  Add the atmosphere at Wanderers Grounds and the city's reputation as being ummm...a rather fun place to visit and you'd expect safe money would have Halifax as a fortress for the CPL side.  But no.  It's not bad but geez, has to be better.  

York Lions is a mini field and grass surface to-boot.  A-gin, they're 500 at home but why?  IT'S A MINI FIELD NO ONE ELSE PRACTICES OR PLAYS ON. OWN IT.

Spruce Meadows has the grass, pretty rare in this league.  Oh, and Cavalry play there so all good. 

Good little park in Edmonton.  Maybe hurt by the fast plastic that some of the other teams are accustomed to I'd guess.  Could say the same for Tim Horton but Tim Horton isn't a stadium you want to visit and are unlikely to bring points out of  (Forge 2 Wanderers 2, cough, cough).

Not even going to mention IG Field.  Actually, yes I well.  With two words. 

GAWD DAMNIT.   

Now IG Field and Wanderers Grounds may be suffering from the same symptom.  That is to say the buildings energy works as much for the visitors as it does for the home side.  But still, I don't know.

Scheduling?  Small sample size with Forge & Cavalry running the Fall Season?  Lack of goal scoring?  Don't know, but I expected to see way more of a home field advantage within this league to be sure.    

Edited by Cheeta

7 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Someone has to explain this to me because I'm not getting it. 

Aside from Forge, who dropped points to LAST PLACE Wanderers this weekend, and Cavalry who haven't really played a lot of home matches no other team's home record this Fall Season is especially shouting out "home field advanatage".  And you'd think in this league, things being what they are, that it should.

Pacific and Wanderers are on the very edges of civilization.  I mean seriously, if you went much further left or right you'd fall right off Turtle Island so there has to be some sort of travel advantage just built into their buildings because of geography.  Add the atmosphere at Wanderers Grounds and the city's reputation as being ummm...a rather fun place to visit and you'd expect safe money would have Halifax as a fortress for the CPL side.  But no.  It's not bad but geez, has to be better.  

York Lions is a mini field and grass surface to-boot.  A-gin, they're 500 at home but why?  IT'S A MINI FIELD NO ONE ELSE PRACTICES OR PLAYS ON. OWN IT.

Spruce Meadows has the grass, pretty rare in this league.  Oh, and Cavalry play there so all good. 

Good little park in Edmonton.  Maybe hurt by the fast plastic that some of the other teams are accustomed to I'd guess.  Could say the same for Tim Horton but Tim Horton isn't a stadium you want to visit and are unlikely to bring points out of  (Forge 2 Wanderers 2, cough, cough).

Not even going to mention IG Field.  Actually, yes I well.  With two words. 

GAWD DAMNIT.   

Now IG Field and Wanderers Grounds may be suffering from the same symptom.  That is to say the buildings energy works as much for the visitors as it does for the home side.  But still, I don't know.

Scheduling?  Small sample size with Forge & Cavalry running the Fall Season?  Lack of goal scoring?  Don't know, but I expected to see way more of a home field advantage within this league to be sure.    

One factor I think is that at home teams come out with the idea they have to dominate the visitor. It is a natural tendency, and then it is understandable since this is the first season in front of the fans, and you want to show them you can boss the rival. This is fine if you have the play for it, most teams do not.  And then, most teams, regardless of how weak they are at possession play or in attack, do not want to sit back and defend at home, since that sends a negative message to the fan base. If we got a few years down the road and everyone was saying, yeah well, its Cavalry, you better sit back since they are the top team in the league, then fine. Like what happens in top leagues, you respect the powerhouses and the fans accept it when they come to visit. 

But we are not there yet, every team feels it is equal to every other, and 5 months of soccer has not changed that. 

After all, the fans are just the 12th man, if that. So it is an 8% addition to the team, which is not a lot, it is not enough of an edge if you are not clear about how to use your home field to your full advantage. And from what you say, that is currently the case, not even the rival's travel has been a clear factor so far.