Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread: Sep 15, 2019 - York vs. Valour

Just now, Big_M said:

how any times is gasparotto late or making mistakes at the back..the league of extremely weak defending..at least its fun to see all these goals..lets see a few more

Gasparotto is the most overrated player in the league. 

Well, that was fun.

Wonder if we'll hear any cracks about the "Doom and Gloomers" from Gale in his post match comments. 😂

I feel like there is a mascot opportunity there. The Bombers have Buzz and Boomer. Valour should have Doom and Gloomer!

Edited by Lofty

43 minutes ago, Ingham said:

Sky is the limit for Attardo. Does he have any chance to challenge Jonathan David hypothetically in 4-7 years?

No.  

But man, get him into the right place at the right time and who knows.  Might become one of those Canadian players who're famously late bloomers.   This might not be the last pro league he plays in, and I mean that in a very, very, positive way.  

1 minute ago, Cheeta said:

No.  

But man, get him into the right place at the right time and who knows.  Might become one of those Canadian players who're famously late bloomers.   This might not be the last pro league he plays in, and I mean that in a very, very, positive way.  

I wouldn't be so quick to jump to that conclusion. I can actually see his confidence growing.

He definitely gets the job done in CanPL but not sure his first touch and athleticism are where they need to be to ever be likely to cut it at the highest levels. Time will tell. He's still young, so time is on his side.

Attardo has a weird-looking running style but I think he's plenty athletic. Where it's clear that there's still plenty to learn is his tactical understanding and making the correct runs. I don't know that a disorganized Gale team is the best place for that learning to happen but he has improved in that area since the start of the season.

And I don't think he'll ever be plying his trade at the "highest levels" but if he can be useful CPL player at 17-18, it wouldn't be a surprise for him to move up at least a few tiers (MLS? Belgium? Second division in a big 5 nation?) before his career is over.

Edited by jonovision

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Attardo has a weird-looking running style but I think he's plenty athletic. Where it's clear that there's still plenty to learn is his tactical understanding and making the correct runs. I don't know that a disorganized Gale team is the best place for that learning to happen but he has improved in that area since the start of the season.

And I don't think he'll ever be plying his trade at the "highest levels" but if he can be useful CPL player at 17-18, it wouldn't be a surprise for him to move up at least a few tiers (MLS? Belgium? Second division in a big 5 nation?) before his career is over.

Look at what Rob Friend was able to achieve with his relatively limited and often awkward-looking skillset.  There is a demand for goalscorers period.  And nothing says anything else about your game has to be pretty if you can poach regularly and hold up even half-decently.

Call me an optimist, but I was hoping York 9 could gain some ground on Forge today. Wanderers got a good result against Forge, so they did their part, but York 9 couldn't get the job done. Some good goals by Valour, full credit.

Following the Valour supporters is rather entertaining, the only group on this board I consistently appreciate reading on game threads. Maybe it is the combination of extreme fatalism with the team, over-analysis, and go from there, take it where you may. 

I am pleased that Valour got out of that hole, it would be bad for the league for a ship to sink so easily and stop competiting. 

Living in Ottawa and having no professional team to support, I decided early in the season that Forge would be my team but never got really attached except for their CL run.  So i finally decided that Valour would be my team, then they immediately lost 8-0, well i'm still here😎

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

1 minute ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Living in Ottawa and having no professional team to support, I decided early in the season that Forge would be my team but never got really attached except for their CL run.  So i finally decided that Valour would be my team, then they immediately lost 8-0, well i'm still here😎

We need a mega-like button. 😀

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Much too early to be making that call IMHO. He only just turned 18! The next few years will be critical for him and there is no denying he has an eye for goal. If Gale had used him in his natural position more and played him a bit more often he could be leading the CPL scoring race.

Great attitude too, crediting his team mates in the post match interview for setting up his two goals today.

In many ways, watching him will be the most interesting part of Valour's run in.

Edited by Lofty