Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread: Sep 15, 2019 - York vs. Valour

Match is at 3:30pm EDT (2:30pm CDT) and can be watched live on OneSoccer.

This will be only the 3rd meeting this season. York consigned Valour to the Spring Season basement on the final day with a 3-1 win at IGF but Valour gained some measure of revenge by winning 2-0 at York in the most recent meeting, a match somewhat notable for a Petrasso empty netter.

Valour are coming off two consecutive home losses, 8-0 to Cavalry and more recently 3-1 to Forge, the lone Valour goal ending an astonishing run of eleven consecutive goals conceded at home without reply. York's last match was a 2-0 win at Pacific.

For all intents and purposes Cavalry and Forge have the top two Fall Season places under lock and key but the race for 3rd place is wide open and both of these teams have a very realistic shot. York are currently 5th with 13 pts from 11 matches and a win would lift them into 3rd. Valour are currently 6th with 12 pts from 12 matches and a win would lift them into 4th, but tied with 3rd on points.

Official preview: https://canpl.ca/article/preview-york9-fc-vs-valour-fc-match-75

Edited by Lofty

Valour team news: I find the lack of transparency from the club on player availability ridiculous, but here are my guesses. Gutierrez was nowhere to be seen last match so was presumably injured. It seems unlikely that he will be in the frame for a start only 3 days later. Petrasso went off with a knock against Forge and is questionable. Farago must be getting close to returning from his broken finger but we will be left guessing because Janssens vs. Farago in goal would completely change the opponent's game plan and the outcome of the match so the secret must be kept. Golubar is gone for the season and likely ditto for Arguiñarena. Thomas returns from a one match suspension for accumulating 4 bookings while Mitter will serve a one match ban for his red card against Forge.

Ohin is one booking away from a two match ban and Murrell and Galán are both one booking away from a one match ban. Valour are clearly the dirtiest team in the league with their array of yellows and reds, which surely leads the league by some distance. (Sarcasm. Refs take a look at yourselves, your card distribution is bullsh!t.)

Will be interesting to see what Gale does here. The safer course is 4-2-3-1, but he also likes 4-3-3, although the difference between the two is subtle. A riskier plan would be 4-4-2 with Attardo and Paolucci up front, something I would like to see at some point. Attardo is wasted as a left mid/winger. He is clearly a forward and needs to play there.

I think Garcia has earned a start in defence with his energetic performance against Forge and Ohin is likely to be the odd man out. With the probable injury situation, Sacramento and Carreiro are likely to both get a start.

Projected Valour Line-Up:

Formation: 4-2-3-1;

Goal: Janssens;

Defence (R-L): Garcia, Thomas, Le Bourhis, Murrell;

Defensive Mid: Galán, Beland-Goyette;

Attacking Mid: Sacramento, Carreiro, Bustos;

Forward: Paolucci.

Edited by Lofty

Though Carreiro had his best match of the year against Forge. 

Is anyone else done with Ohin at the back yet?  Love the things I love about his play but hate the things I hate about his decision/risk taking at the back.  Little more forgiving those gambles when you're further from goal.  And throttling into a raid is that much more shocking when you start it further up-field.   Still expect to see lots of the man for the remainder.

I'll take that line-up.  Bustos in front of Murrell is a bit scary but Marco isn't shy about tracking back as needs require. Just he's not been blessed with a lot of defensive skills is all.  

Weather looks like it's going to co-operate.  Skinny pitch.  Should be fun today.

^ Those Ohin moments are exactly what you'd expect from a guy who is not a defender being made to play at the back. 

Lineup is out and Murrell is back in at CB. With Thomas, Le Bourhis sits. Le Bourhis probably deserves the bench at this point, but not if Murrell in the middle is the only alternative. Of course, it is literally impossible to defend worse than the team did in the last two matches, so we'll see. Ohin stays at RB.

Edited by jonovision

Right footed Garcia at left back. Gale does love putting square pegs into round holes when totally unnecessary (Murrell is a left footed left back!).

Attardo gets another chance and the wide forwards are shown on their "off" wing, so that they can cut inside and shoot with their preferred foot.

Paolucci scored the winner last time Valour played at York but doesn't start.

And Farago is back in goal. The cat is out of the bag. York are shocked and will collapse.

Lots of changes but in this situation I don't mind that, although I'm not happy with some of the specifics.

Edited by Lofty

I think it's time Paolucci sees the game from the bench. He is better at nearly every forward-related skill than Attardo, but he just isn't fast or fit enough to match Attardo's movement. I'm not sure the trade off is always worth it but it is definitely time to give Attardo another look in his natural spot.

3 minutes ago, Ingham said:

STOP PROGRAMMING GAMES AT THE SAME TIME AS TFC!!!

They would have had the MLS dates when that was being decided so somebody actually must have thought that was a good idea. Will be interesting to see if York U students can be enticed in numbers now they are back on campus.

Just now, jonovision said:

Valour goal off of a corner? What is this world?

They didn't take it short. Who'd have guessed that crossing it is more dangerous?

Just now, Ingham said:

Where is the lad that told me that Attardo shouldn't be starting...

I've said several times he shouldn't be starting... as a winger/midfielder, where he's really quite bad, but where Gale has run him out too foten. As a forward, I like it.