Jump to content
Ansem

Canada vs. United States (Nations League A) Tuesday, Oct. 15th, 2019 - 7:30pm EST

Recommended Posts

My #1 reason for my skepticism of the USMNT and not bying into their hype is how TERRIBLE they've been on the road. 

They hide that by playing LOTS of games at home and yes they do play much better at home but if you can't replicate that on the road, you aren't a superpower like they are advertising themselves. 

Their loss at BMO field is yet another example of that. They might want to try and play more often on the road before looking down on CONCACAF. They have won only 1 road game in over 2 years and that was against St.Vincent I think

"Sid calling them arrogant, overrated and cowards for not playing on the road"🤣

 

Edited by Ansem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Herculez Gomez is a clown.  How do you have no knowledge of our players when half of them play in YOUR domestic league?  In fact, the lowest level that any of our players who played Tuesday play at is MLS - and they had more MLS players than us.  Very confused.

Gomez likes to pretend he was this special player but in reality he was one of the worst strikers TFC ever had.  In 99 MLS games since 2007 he scored SEVEN goals.. that is laughable.  And the USMNT called him because they were so damn talented.  

He tells some story about "last time" playing Canada off the pitch and some player having 6 wings and a beer pregame.  A 0-0 draw where Jackson missed an injury time sitter to ice the USA... yea a really whopping.  Who makes things up like this?  It's all to protect the facade of his failed national team and MLS career.

Career MLS games (goals):

Herculez "the superstar" Gomez: 169 (25)

Tesho Akindele: 160 (34)

To be fair to Akindele as well, he has played the wing often.  

Edited by CanadaFan123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More gold:

 

Seriously though, when the Americans reference their talent are they talking about Morris?  There was a time I truly rated him and thought he would go on to great things but he's fairly average at the international level (and even in MLS these days).   Likewise with Sargent, he may be able to go on to great things but at this moment he's not close to David or Davies - so it's just very odd when they make reference to these guys who wouldn't get a sniff in our lineup. 

Look, we didn't even call in Larin and he is decidedly better at this point than Sargent or Morris.  

Pulisic and McKennie, class absolutely.  

Edited by CanadaFan123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Pulisic and McKennie, class absolutely.  

I was concerned about these two players but at the end of the day not only did they do absolutely nothing, their emotional fragility was on display to the world.  McKennie was frustrated as hell in the second half, fouling away, taking cheap shots at Fraser and Laryea and mouthing off every chance he got.  Pulisic was literally reduced to tears after getting subbed out.  And these are their leaders?  Pathetic! 

Bradley, for all his faults, at least keeps it together on the pitch and in postgame interviews - and he was stripped of the captains armband in favour of Tim Ream who Phonzie humiliated at will every chance he got. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sid is amazing.  100% truth coming out of his mouth, glad that their reach hears that.

All the American talk I'm hearing is about how the US blew it with ZERO credit to Canada.  I want to be upset but at the same time I think the disrespect they are showing Canada's performance Tuesday could very well lead to a result for Canada in November.  

Side note on Morris, there was a time when he broke onto the scene but decided to stay in Seattle instead of going abroad and the reason he gave was ridiculous (I think it was because of his dog).  It is that kind of mentality that had done in the US.  Klinsmann has always been right in wanting players to get overseas to really get better.  These Canadians coming up now (thinking of guys like ZBG) need to have that mentality as well.  MLS & CPL are fine to keep guys going and launch careers but if you have the opportunity to push yourself at a higher level you have to take it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

American pool is much weaker than it was..still berhalter is awful and should be gone asap for their own good..for us its fine..klinsmann was much better..now they realize he was a good coach for them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morris chose MLS over Werder Bremen in the thick of the Klinsman vs. MLS media battle.  It is speculated that he was pressured into it by US Soccer / MLS, and was certainly given a sweet contract financially for a rookie out of college.

13 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

Side note on Morris, there was a time when he broke onto the scene but decided to stay in Seattle instead of going abroad and the reason he gave was ridiculous (I think it was because of his dog).  It is that kind of mentality that had done in the US.  Klinsmann has always been right in wanting players to get overseas to really get better.  These Canadians coming up now (thinking of guys like ZBG) need to have that mentality as well.  MLS & CPL are fine to keep guys going and launch careers but if you have the opportunity to push yourself at a higher level you have to take it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Big_M said:

American pool is much weaker than it was..still berhalter is awful and should be gone asap for their own good..for us its fine..klinsmann was much better..now they realize he was a good coach for them 

Hot Take: If Herdman was the USA coach they would all have a good cry before the game (instead of on the bench) and likely play much much better as a cohesive squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The america media is losing their minds about this loss.

I must admit i'm a bit concerned. The players must really be feeling the heat and I imagine they will be uber-focused on getting revenge a month from now. Especially if they get some of their guys back from injury (adams, altidore, brooks..). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ that makes sense. I’d believe USSF MLS would do that to keep the hype machine going. In the end it’s Morris that ended up getting the shaft, being used as a tool. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gomez's comments just show how arrogant and oblivious Americans are.  Many of my american friends talked about how bad USA was and I had to tell them if you knew anything about Canadian soccer and our players you would know that our talent is young and deep now.  Unfortunately like many other areas in life, many American's do not see or understand anything outside of their own country.

Someone should let Gomez know that between the two current squads, we had more European based players than theirs.  9 playing in Europe to their 8 with a couple of our European based regulars not included (To be fair they could say the same).  But based on this squad we had more.  

Also,  all USA players playing over here are based in MLS, while we have 2 in Liga MX & 1 in Chile.  Arguably two better leagues.  Liga MX for sure.

Borjan has been an exceptional champions league goalie in recent years.  If you were to do the math, I would bet that he has more champions league/Europa league games than any current American player.

Junior may be in a championship side now but I don't believe any American besides Bradley has played 6 seasons in one of the big 4/5 leagues.

Kaye was a 2019 MLS All star.  Only Brad Guzan was an MLS all star and on this current US squad.

Osorio was the 2018 CONCACAF Nations League Golden Boot winner and included in the Best XI.  Which by the way did not include any American players.

Arfield was one of the best players in the Scottish Premier league last season.

We have Liverpool owned Liam Millar

Eustaquio who was playing with Portugal U21 last year alongside Joao Felix

Jonathan David producing goals and assists faster than any American player and soon to break to a much bigger club.

 

The list could go on  but this Canada team has  much better talent than Americans give credit.  I don't want to get ahead of ourselves as it is just 1 game but it would be nice to throw this back into Gomez face and just ask him if he is either 1) misinformed and not at all good at his job or 2) That is he a blatant liar.

Edited by Corazon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Corazon said:

Gomez's comments just show how arrogant and oblivious Americans are.  Many of my american friends talked about how bad USA was and I had to tell them if you knew anything about Canadian soccer and our players you would know that our talent is young and deep now.  Unfortunately like many other areas in life, many American's do not see or understand anything outside of their own country.

Someone should let Gomez know that between the two current squads, we had more European based players than theirs.  9 playing in Europe to their 8 with a couple of our European based regulars not included (To be fair they could say the same).  But based on this squad we had more.  

Also,  all USA players playing over here are based in MLS, while we have 2 in Liga MX & 1 in Chile.  Arguably two better leagues.  Liga MX for sure.

Borjan has been an exceptional champions league goalie in recent years.  If you were to do the math, I would bet that he has more champions league/Europa league games than any current American player.

Junior may be in a championship side now but I don't believe any American besides Bradley has played 6 seasons in one of the big 4/5 leagues.

Kaye was a 2019 MLS All star.  Only Brad Guzan was an MLS all star and on this current US squad.

Osorio was the 2018 CONCACAF Nations League Golden Boot winner and included in the Best XI.  Which by the way did not include any American players.

Arfield was one of the best players in the Scottish Premier league last season.

We have Liverpool owned Liam Millar

Eustaquio who was playing with Portugal U21 last year alongside Joao Felix

Jonathan David producing goals and assists faster than any American player and soon to break to a much bigger club.

 

The list could go on and on but it would be nice to throw this back into Gomez face and just ask him if he is either 1) misinformed and not at all good at his job or 2) That is he a blatant liar.

Gomez is wrong but I believe he is just referring to players in the top 5 leagues. They have 5 or 6 and we have 1. Not saying that's the be all end all but it is an indication of talent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Gomez is wrong but I believe he is just referring to players in the top 5 leagues. They have 5 or 6 and we have 1. Not saying that's the be all end all but it is an indication of talent. 

Fair enough, I couldn't stand to listen to the entire rant.  Junior was there last year.  Afield recently.  Millar is Liverpool.  Jonathan David about to be in a top league soon as well.  So I also take it with a grain of salt.

Edited by Corazon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Floortom said:

The america media is losing their minds about this loss.

I must admit i'm a bit concerned. The players must really be feeling the heat and I imagine they will be uber-focused on getting revenge a month from now. Especially if they get some of their guys back from injury (adams, altidore, brooks..). 

Meh I don’t believe they’re such a focussed, and collective group. They don’t have the typical U-S-A U-S-A spirit. If anything I believe their team is in total disarray with all these egos that have been groomed for pseudo superiority, now having them destroyed by those same people like Gomez, Twellman, ESPN crew (minus Hislop) and the obnoxious MLS chick and co.  The USMNT/SF and it’s hype machine are like a big dog that yaps a lot that just got smacked upside the head by the cat and is now whimpering with its tail between its legs. 

They have to hype their crap because MLS ESPN and co make their livings and money selling their product. They’re like used car salesmen. 

798AF661-B139-43CC-BEAF-B932E3E4E6C5.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Floortom said:

The america media is losing their minds about this loss.

I must admit i'm a bit concerned. The players must really be feeling the heat and I imagine they will be uber-focused on getting revenge a month from now. Especially if they get some of their guys back from injury (adams, altidore, brooks..). 

I actually think their continued arrogance may bite them in the ass again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing about the US is that they lack superstars. Dunfield was right, gone are the rockstars of yesteryear. There is no Landon Donovan or Clint Dempsey. 

Yes, overall their core players are in better club environments and are arguably more talented than previous cycles, plus they are young and thus I get why Americans are excited about them. If I were American I too would be excited and likely prone to overrating them based on their potential.

But the reality is that our starting line up, if not our 18, is only marginally weaker than theirs. However, we have two star players in David and Davies who are playing very well, while they have one star player (Pulisic) who is not playing well at all.

Other stars can and probably will emerge for them down the road, but as of now that is the reality that Gomez and these other bozos are too blind to see. 

Is Gregg Berhalter and their entire federation a problem for them? Yes, undeniably so, but expectations must be in line with their current reality.

I don't know if anyone has heard Craig Burley on ESPN FC lately, but he puts it very bluntly: The USA are just not that good. They have merely been a blip on the world football radar over the past few decades. And so on and so forth...

It is a great listen, perhaps I will come back and post it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How does a guy make a comment about someone coming out of the stands eating chicken wings and schooling a bunch of players and still be let on tv. What's he even talking about.

Shake Hislop and the Brit are just sitting there wondering what planet they were put on. What reason, what thing has ever happened in the world of soccer that they can just assume they should always be on that sort of level. It's insanity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Skip to around 4m 8s if you don't want to hear Gomez ramble on at the beginning.

Edit: I see this video was posted already. Apologies for the redundancy. 

Edited by Obinna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Fair enough, I couldn't stand to listen to the entire rant.  Junior was there last year.  Afield recently.  Millar is Liverpool.  Jonathan David about to be there as well.  So I also take it with a grain of salt.

Wait. What?  David might go to Liverpool?  Where did you hear this?  That’d be awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

How does a guy make a comment about someone coming out of the stands eating chicken wings and schooling a bunch of players and still be let on tv. What's he even talking about.

Shake Hislop and the Brit are just sitting there wondering what planet they were put on. What reason, what thing has ever happened in the world of soccer that they can just assume they should always be on that sort of level. It's insanity

I don't watch a lot of ESPN FC, usually on a the wrong time and I have to go looking.

But watching those guys without a lot of context, it felt a bit shock jock-like.  Say things to get a reaction rather than be factual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I don't watch a lot of ESPN FC, usually on a the wrong time and I have to go looking.

But watching those guys without a lot of context, it felt a bit shock jock-like.  Say things to get a reaction rather than be factual.

That's why I can't do American sports anymore. Even with my beloved Seahawks I just watch the game. It's all complete nonsense. That country is in a world of hurt. The guys talking about things from 30 years ago.. the game was played last Tuesday, not 30 years ago. Wake up and look at the roster sheet you goofball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the guys on the panel commented "Did you see that starting 11, How did this group lose to that starting 11" and  "You have guys on that team that aren't even signed". How can you be on that panel and be that ignorant? That is why they are so shell-shocked, because they are completely unaware of any other team. That is part of the reason they keep losing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...