Jump to content
Ansem

Canada vs. United States (Nations League A) Tuesday, Oct. 15th, 2019 - 7:30pm EST

Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

After seeing the detailed posts on what the crowds have been over the decades..and considering it is against the USA and the game means a lot, plus we should have a little more BUZZ around the CMNT with CPL, etc.....I  was kind of hoping/expecting over 20,000. 

As has been the case in the past, Groupon has tickets available for 50% off. For the Cuba game over 600 were sold on groupon, right now they're at 100+ sold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

plus we should have a little more BUZZ around the CMNT with CPL

Should we? I don't see the correlation between CPL and the MNT in this context. If anything, the lack of CPL buzz in Toronto works against the MNT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RS said:

Should we? I don't see the correlation between CPL and the MNT in this context. If anything, the lack of CPL buzz in Toronto works against the MNT.

Agreed. I don't think CPL adds any fans to this game in Toronto. If the game were in Hamilton, Winnipeg, Calgary, or Halifax then maybe it gets a boost over what it would have gotten in the same place without having CPL exist. But in Toronto I don't think it will have much of any impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will definitely get a slight boost IMO, maybe not quantifiable or noticeable though.  It’s inevitable that fans of Forge have probably taken an interest in the CMNT and will jump at the chance to see them face the yanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You would think any person who calls them self a soccer fan would automatically be drawn to their national team. If I live in Uruguay and I enjoy the game I’m watching the Uruguayan national team. As a Canadian if you say you enjoy hockey aren’t you cheering for Canada at every tournament? The answer for everyone is yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Alex said:

You would think any person who calls them self a soccer fan would automatically be drawn to their national team. If I live in Uruguay and I enjoy the game I’m watching the Uruguayan national team. As a Canadian if you say you enjoy hockey aren’t you cheering for Canada at every tournament? The answer for everyone is yes. 

It's not that simple. 

Our country has been made on the backs of immigrants, who more than likely have a strong affinity to their place of birth. Then you have the second generation Canadians who were brought up with the same pride/cultural connections that their parents have.

With those nations, majority have made it to world cups in more recent times than Canada. Success is needed to breed support. People show out for hockey Canada because we are the best at the sport and win 9x out of 10.

The future of Canada's cultural shift in support relies on Generation Z, millennials need to much awakening/repair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Alex said:

You would think any person who calls them self a soccer fan would automatically be drawn to their national team

I know a number of West Ham supporters that say they actively hate the English national team because of which players are normally picked for the latter. (Some even maintain that when the major tournaments come round)

To be fair to them, there is a lot more talk on here - basically a national team site - about club sides in Canada than there is about the national team on the West Ham forum I frequent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I know a number of West Ham supporters that say they actively hate the English national team because of which players are normally picked for the latter. (Some even maintain that when the major tournaments come round)

To be fair to them, there is a lot more talk on here - basically a national team site - about club sides in Canada than there is about the national team on the West Ham forum I frequent. 

This does not surprise me. I have always gotten the impression that the English are quicker to turn on their NT than most other countries. I don't know why that is.

Perhaps it comes down to the popularity and money in the EPL, combined with the lack of success for the England NT.

Consider the big 4 leagues and the success of each national team:

La Liga - Spain NT won WC in 2010 (sandwiched between 2 Euro wins)

Bundesliga - German NT won the WC in 2014

Serie A - Italian NT won the WC in 2006 

EPL - England NT won the WC in 1966...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shway said:

It's not that simple. 

Our country has been made on the backs of immigrants, who more than likely have a strong affinity to their place of birth. Then you have the second generation Canadians who were brought up with the same pride/cultural connections that their parents have.

With those nations, majority have made it to world cups in more recent times than Canada. Success is needed to breed support. People show out for hockey Canada because we are the best at the sport and win 9x out of 10.

The future of Canada's cultural shift in support relies on Generation Z, millennials need to much awakening/repair. 

I agree. Most of my friends don't know anything about the National team. They cheer for a country they have affinity with or a country where a lot of their team or favourite players are from. 

For many of them, Davies is hardly a big name. They don't know who David, Cav, or Hoilett are. Most don't know any of the Americans either, aside from Pulisic, Altidore, Bradley, etc.

A win for Canada in this game will help, but we are still a long way off. Having a game in Edmonton might convince some people that Canada is worth following. But the only way to keep them, in my opinion, is for the national team to continue to win, and continue to get headlines in one of the top 4 leagues.

I think the most important factor in making the national team popular is individual star power. Which means we are relying on one of our young stars to make a name for himself in a top 4 league. And more than that, top 4 team in a top 4 league.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Obinna said:

This does not surprise me. I have always gotten the impression that the English are quicker to turn on their NT than most other countries. I don't know why that is.

Perhaps it comes down to the popularity and money in the EPL, combined with the lack of success for the England NT.

Consider the big 4 leagues and the success of each national team:

La Liga - Spain NT won WC in 2010 (sandwiched between 2 Euro wins)

Bundesliga - German NT won the WC in 2014

Serie A - Italian NT won the WC in 2006 

EPL - England NT won the WC in 1966...

I think Canada is actually on a good position because we're kinda virgins and everything will be new and exciting and we have so much room to grow.  And the ride is fun. I think that's why the US national team is kinda flat as far as interest is concerned because they've really levelled off recently. Most of the traditional big teams back home suffer from some cynicism. They rely on wannabees abroad, like the friends people described. 

 

I think Canada is in a perfect place because over the next 4 years we'll shock a lot of people not just here but all over the world

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Squizz time travel article on when Canada played the US in 2012:

Simpson would never again wear the red and white, but that he would go on to be a co-founder of a new professional club on Vancouver Island…

“Really?” younger me would ask. “So we’re actually going to get a professional league again? Like, for real?”

Nik Ledgerwood will be playing for a team from Calgary, David Edgar will be playing for a team from Hamilton and, oh yeah, Stephen Hart will be managing a team from Halifax.

“There’s really gonna be a team in Halifax? Sweet!”

Defence is going to be up in the air, while Canada’s going to have more attackers than it knows what to do with.

“Uh huh, whatever. Next you’re going to tell me Junior Hoilett committed to us.”

Alright, so, Toronto FC gets good, there’s a new Canadian pro league, the national team is getting all kinds of contributions from different guys playing both domestically and abroad… sounds like an entirely different world. Wait, you said Stephen Hart’s managing in the Canadian league; who’s managing the national team?”

https://canpl.ca/article/squizzs-burning-question-how-would-a-2012-canmnt-fan-react-to-2019

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eustaquio, Davies & Miller will be doing Footy Talks this Friday at the Rec Room.

Speaking of Eustaquio, anyone that is following Canada Soccer social media platforms would notice that there has been a large amount of posts/stories on Eustaquio and his first call to the program (more than other recent commits).  It could be this is one of Canada's top dual national prospects to commit to Canada in awhile.  It could be the fact there seems to be an overall increased amount of marketing this camp.  It could be that it is vs USA in our biggest game in quite some time.

I don't want to read to much into and assume he is going to start & or play, I just thought it was interesting how much focus has been on Eustaquio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Eustaquio, Davies & Miller will be doing Footy Talks this Friday at the Rec Room.

Speaking of Eustaquio, anyone that is following Canada Soccer social media platforms would notice that there has been a large amount of posts/stories on Eustaquio and his first call to the program (more than other recent commits).  It could be this is one of Canada's top dual national prospects to commit to Canada in awhile.  It could be the fact there seems to be an overall increased amount of marketing this camp.  It could be that it is vs USA in our biggest game in quite some time.

I don't want to read to much into and assume he is going to start & or play, I just thought it was interesting how much focus has been on Eustaquio.

It does seem like it’s too early to see him on the field, and yet they have been hyping him quite a bit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 11:48 AM, RJB said:

No Noble Okello for this squad.  Not playing a MLS game for a full season - or ever! - is probably the reason.

I've said this before, and I'll keep on about it: Though I agree we are capable of beating the USA, I would be delighted with a point.  We haven't beaten them since 1985, and as much as we're improving, we have to admit this will be a tough task.

I would be OK with a draw in Toronto...I would be Delighted with a draw in Orlando.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 5:30 PM, admin said:

If not, do you know about the two pre game events?

JM

We have to rush to the game from work so if anything we're just hoping to make it there before kickoff :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, johnyb said:

I would be OK with a draw in Toronto...I would be Delighted with a draw in Orlando.

 

I would be DELIGHTED with a win in Toronto... I would be OK with a draw in Orlando.😁😁                                                            P.S. Sorry I couldn't help myself.

Edited by MtlMario

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MtlMario said:

 

I would be DELIGHTED with a win in Toronto... I would be OK with a draw in Orlando.😁😁                                                            P.S. Sorry I couldn't help myself.

I will be DRUNK with any outcome in Toronto... I will be DRUNK with any outcome in Orlando.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jtpc said:

The south end will be full! There isn't a single blue dot left on Ticketmaster from 112-118! 😃

I still have some. Invisible blue dots.... but going fast.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the setup will be defense first - similar to Mexico match:

The U.S., on the other hand, is No. 21. That’s why Herdman has emphasized defence in this camp. His tactical blueprint involves a lot more attention to defensive organization and transitional play. A coach who has been known to ostensibly play two at the back in some of Canada’s easier matches will likely go with something closer to the five-man defence he employed against Mexico.

“We are an underdog to some degree, and in many ways they have everything to lose in terms of the ego, and when the ego’s in place it can really sabotage teams,” Herdman said. “For us, we can go out with no fear. The only thing we’ve got to prove is to ourselves, that from whistle to whistle we can bring our talent, keep the clean sheet.” 

Free if you haven't reached your monthly limit:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/2019/10/09/the-canadian-mens-soccer-team-is-entering-another-universe-in-nations-league-play.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, red card said:

Looks like the setup will be defense first - similar to Mexico match:

The U.S., on the other hand, is No. 21. That’s why Herdman has emphasized defence in this camp. His tactical blueprint involves a lot more attention to defensive organization and transitional play. A coach who has been known to ostensibly play two at the back in some of Canada’s easier matches will likely go with something closer to the five-man defence he employed against Mexico.

“We are an underdog to some degree, and in many ways they have everything to lose in terms of the ego, and when the ego’s in place it can really sabotage teams,” Herdman said. “For us, we can go out with no fear. The only thing we’ve got to prove is to ourselves, that from whistle to whistle we can bring our talent, keep the clean sheet.” 

Free if you haven't reached your monthly limit:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/2019/10/09/the-canadian-mens-soccer-team-is-entering-another-universe-in-nations-league-play.html

A 5 man defence at home?  Not sure who is worse, Neil Davidson or Laura Armstrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...