Jump to content
Ansem

Canada vs. United States (Nations League A) Tuesday, Oct. 15th, 2019 - 7:30pm EST

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

For me Pasquotti has been the big standout, even more so than Zator.

If Borges is in your select group (which I agree with), then why not Nico? Both are wide attackers who make an impact with their club.

I haven't watched the last few Forge games, so I will ask: how is Edgar playing? Does his form warrant a re-call, or is this moreso a legacy shout because he's been there and done that?

I didn't mind the Edgar calls in 2018, but with the re-emergece of Victoria and Herdman talking up Henry's leadership role, where does Edgar fit in?

Im a big fan of Nico and I would be okay with him getting a domestic camp call for sure but in the full MNT he would be well behind the level of others IMO (and older). Borges to me looks like a guy who can progress to a higher level (and likely will).  Pasquotti I’m not sure about - I think he’s more of a direct grinder and not someone who is going to command a fee from Europe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Liam Fraser comes in for Will Johnson.

I'm a bit disappointed to see him since he's been at multiple Canada camps before and he hasn't played in MLS since late July while Shome has been playing regularly for the Impact. 

Its a head scratcher...would Shome be good cover for a purely CDM role??  Shome wont be going to the playoffs..he could easily be in that camp and he deserves it after the season he has had.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Liam Fraser comes in for Will Johnson.

I'm a bit disappointed to see him since he's been at multiple Canada camps before and he hasn't played in MLS since late July while Shome has been playing regularly for the Impact. 

Even though I would call myself a Toronto fan before an Impact fan, I would also prefer Shome ahead of Fraser.

I guess it's that Liam has been called into train. That has repeatedly been the case, that much is obvious since this is his 6th or 7th camp (at least) and he's yet to win a cap. I expect that streak to continue.

Although Shome is more deserving, perhaps Herdman prefers a player who is familiar with the system and the group and the tactics, again for training purposes. Plus he is already in Toronto, where the game will be played. Makes sense.

Edited by Obinna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Even though I would call myself a Toronto fan before an Impact fan, I would also prefer Shome ahead of Fraser.

I guess it's that Liam has been called into train. That has repeatedly been the case, that much is obvious since this is his 6th or 7th camp (at least) and he's yet to win a cap. I expect that streak to continue.

Although Shome is more deserving, perhaps Herdman prefers a player who is familiar with the system and the group and the tactics, again for training purposes. Plus he is already in Toronto, where the game will be played. Makes sense.

Simply Fraser is based in Toronto would be my guess.  Save on the flight and accommodation costs.  Will Johnson was likely never going to play and nor is Fraser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Simply Fraser is based in Toronto would be my guess.  Save on the flight and accommodation costs.  Will Johnson was likely never going to play and nor is Fraser.

It's exactly this. We have nothing else to assume but common trends. 

It's just a mockery of the "reward" of being called up to the national team if its based on convenience - regardless if they have plans to play or not. Another missed opportunity again for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Shway said:

It's exactly this. We have nothing else to assume but common trends. 

It's just a mockery of the "reward" of being called up to the national team if its based on convenience - regardless if they have plans to play or not. Another missed opportunity again for me. 

Agreed. Although I will say I'd have no problem with a young and genuine prospect coming in to train, be they from the CPL or an MLS academy side. Or wherever  If it's clearly not about earning a cap, and if the last player in the squad list is just a guy to make up the scrimmage numbers or whatever, I want the next generation to glimpse their future and learn from Canada's best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please tell me this has something to do with Fraser being more of a CDM, and not that we are so strapped for cash we cant get Shome from Montreal to Toronto??  I bet if you asked him, he would drive to TO on his own dime just to get into the camp.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm totally fine with Fraser being called, especially that this is now his 6-7th camp.  I personally feel he would have been a standout in the CPL this year on any CPL roster. I am hoping he can establish himself as a regular at TFC in the next few years, let's not forget the lad is still only 21. 

More importantly as @Bison44 just mentioned our depth at that position.... without Hutch, he is between #3-#5 on our CDM chart ( depending on who you rate as a true CDM). On this roster with Eustaquio still not 100% match fit and WJ out, I think positionally the call is quite justified.

I also 100% agree with the boards sentiment , hard not to feel for Shome, he defininetly has earned a call.

Edited by apbsmith
Shome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watch every TFC game, and I'm not sure what is so great about Liam Fraser. I would give him a rating of "not embarrassing". He can receive a safe pass and give a safe pass. Does he do other stuff that I'm missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Kent said:

I watch every TFC game, and I'm not sure what is so great about Liam Fraser. I would give him a rating of "not embarrassing". He can receive a safe pass and give a safe pass. Does he do other stuff that I'm missing?

I don’t disagree but having seen a lot of Shome I would have the exact same description 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I don’t disagree but having seen a lot of Shome I would have the exact same description 

Shome is a weird one imo. He seems neat enough in possession but safe is exactly right as Kent says about Fraser. From the games I have seen of Shome the weirdest thing I have seen is his lack of movement he rarely seems to break sweat or look like he wants the ball. When he gets the ball he gets rid of it very quickly. Could be I just haven't seen a lot of him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fraser is not yet Bradley but his salary is about 1.5% of Bradley’s and he is a serviceable player.  I would also say he makes fewer mistakes then Bradley (probably because he plays it safe due to his minimal experience.)  I would much rather see the money they are paying Bradley go to a DP attacking player and a Tam midfielder or defender, and let Liam play CDM.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Fraser is not yet Bradley but his salary is about 1.5% of Bradley’s and he is a serviceable player.  I would also say he makes fewer mistakes then Bradley (probably because he plays it safe due to his minimal experience.)  I would much rather see the money they are paying Bradley go to a DP attacking player and a Tam midfielder or defender, and let Liam play CDM.  

Agree. Fraser is wayyyy better value in a salary restricted league. He's also a lot better than people here give him credit for. His timing is still a bit off but he's a great passer, good dribbler, and he can join the attack and get back. Rough tackler but that's an aspect of his game that's getting better. With minutes he has standout potential. I've seen enough from him to have him take over from Bradley and see a downgrade there in exchange for an upgrade elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Big_M said:

hearing he can replace bradley is hilarious..1 win in 16 games with fraser in the 11

I agree that he can’t be a direct replacement but that’s a very misleading stat - he has only ever started in B/C squads, so of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I agree that he can’t be a direct replacement but that’s a very misleading stat - he has only ever started in B/C squads, so of course. 

Terribly misleading stat.  He only gets to start when their are injuries or Vanney is resting starters.  You are always on shaky ground comparing individual vs team results.  He cant replace Bradley, but neither could 21 year old bradley replace bradley today.  Is Bradley 90 times better (6mil vs 70g a year) not even close and thats why fans think the team would be better off spending that money elsewhere.  

Back to the game/camp..that last spot in camp for a guy who wont see the field and is brought in to train also needs to be used to work new people with a future into the program.  They have done it with Fraser in the past, Shome (or someone else) should have had their turn this time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I agree that he can’t be a direct replacement but that’s a very misleading stat - he has only ever started in B/C squads, so of course. 

Wasn't he the MLS team of the week one week? When the entire league was basically playing B-C lineups during Gold Cup? 

Regardless I'm okay with the call, based on his age of 21, the CDM depth at the position and he's been in a handful of camps already.  As a last minute replacement last call it's a fine option IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kent said:

I watch every TFC game, and I'm not sure what is so great about Liam Fraser. I would give him a rating of "not embarrassing". He can receive a safe pass and give a safe pass. Does he do other stuff that I'm missing?

Sounds like Piette. 
It's his ball winning that is good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shome should be there. It's cheaper to fly him than Johnson should they should've saved money regardless.

It's just another call-up given, and not earned. I thought we were gone from the days of calling up Manella, and Aparicio type guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Big_M said:

hearing he can replace bradley is hilarious..1 win in 16 games with fraser in the 11

That's not even a decent argument come on now. We're blaming solely on him for those losses now? Especially considering he often starts in matches where tfc bench a **** load of players?

 

Not sure where the whole "safe" argument is coming from too. Bradley is the one who often plays it either safe, or a long diagonal ball. Fraser makes more forward and risky passes. Guy is a good passer, it's one of his strengths imo.

Edited by Colliedor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...