Canada vs. United States (Nations League A) Tuesday, Oct. 15th, 2019 - 7:30pm EST

Ansem

20 minutes ago, Big_M said:

American pool is much weaker than it was..still berhalter is awful and should be gone asap for their own good..for us its fine..klinsmann was much better..now they realize he was a good coach for them 

Hot Take: If Herdman was the USA coach they would all have a good cry before the game (instead of on the bench) and likely play much much better as a cohesive squad.

Gomez's comments just show how arrogant and oblivious Americans are.  Many of my american friends talked about how bad USA was and I had to tell them if you knew anything about Canadian soccer and our players you would know that our talent is young and deep now.  Unfortunately like many other areas in life, many American's do not see or understand anything outside of their own country.

Someone should let Gomez know that between the two current squads, we had more European based players than theirs.  9 playing in Europe to their 8 with a couple of our European based regulars not included (To be fair they could say the same).  But based on this squad we had more.  

Also,  all USA players playing over here are based in MLS, while we have 2 in Liga MX & 1 in Chile.  Arguably two better leagues.  Liga MX for sure.

Borjan has been an exceptional champions league goalie in recent years.  If you were to do the math, I would bet that he has more champions league/Europa league games than any current American player.

Junior may be in a championship side now but I don't believe any American besides Bradley has played 6 seasons in one of the big 4/5 leagues.

Kaye was a 2019 MLS All star.  Only Brad Guzan was an MLS all star and on this current US squad.

Osorio was the 2018 CONCACAF Nations League Golden Boot winner and included in the Best XI.  Which by the way did not include any American players.

Arfield was one of the best players in the Scottish Premier league last season.

We have Liverpool owned Liam Millar

Eustaquio who was playing with Portugal U21 last year alongside Joao Felix

Jonathan David producing goals and assists faster than any American player and soon to break to a much bigger club.

The list could go on  but this Canada team has  much better talent than Americans give credit.  I don't want to get ahead of ourselves as it is just 1 game but it would be nice to throw this back into Gomez face and just ask him if he is either 1) misinformed and not at all good at his job or 2) That is he a blatant liar.

Edited by Corazon

1 minute ago, Corazon said:

Gomez's comments just show how arrogant and oblivious Americans are.  Many of my american friends talked about how bad USA was and I had to tell them if you knew anything about Canadian soccer and our players you would know that our talent is young and deep now.  Unfortunately like many other areas in life, many American's do not see or understand anything outside of their own country.

Someone should let Gomez know that between the two current squads, we had more European based players than theirs.  9 playing in Europe to their 8 with a couple of our European based regulars not included (To be fair they could say the same).  But based on this squad we had more.  

Also,  all USA players playing over here are based in MLS, while we have 2 in Liga MX & 1 in Chile.  Arguably two better leagues.  Liga MX for sure.

Borjan has been an exceptional champions league goalie in recent years.  If you were to do the math, I would bet that he has more champions league/Europa league games than any current American player.

Junior may be in a championship side now but I don't believe any American besides Bradley has played 6 seasons in one of the big 4/5 leagues.

Kaye was a 2019 MLS All star.  Only Brad Guzan was an MLS all star and on this current US squad.

Osorio was the 2018 CONCACAF Nations League Golden Boot winner and included in the Best XI.  Which by the way did not include any American players.

Arfield was one of the best players in the Scottish Premier league last season.

We have Liverpool owned Liam Millar

Eustaquio who was playing with Portugal U21 last year alongside Joao Felix

Jonathan David producing goals and assists faster than any American player and soon to break to a much bigger club.

The list could go on and on but it would be nice to throw this back into Gomez face and just ask him if he is either 1) misinformed and not at all good at his job or 2) That is he a blatant liar.

Gomez is wrong but I believe he is just referring to players in the top 5 leagues. They have 5 or 6 and we have 1. Not saying that's the be all end all but it is an indication of talent. 

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Gomez is wrong but I believe he is just referring to players in the top 5 leagues. They have 5 or 6 and we have 1. Not saying that's the be all end all but it is an indication of talent. 

Fair enough, I couldn't stand to listen to the entire rant.  Junior was there last year.  Afield recently.  Millar is Liverpool.  Jonathan David about to be in a top league soon as well.  So I also take it with a grain of salt.

Edited by Corazon

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

The america media is losing their minds about this loss.

I must admit i'm a bit concerned. The players must really be feeling the heat and I imagine they will be uber-focused on getting revenge a month from now. Especially if they get some of their guys back from injury (adams, altidore, brooks..). 

Meh I don’t believe they’re such a focussed, and collective group. They don’t have the typical U-S-A U-S-A spirit. If anything I believe their team is in total disarray with all these egos that have been groomed for pseudo superiority, now having them destroyed by those same people like Gomez, Twellman, ESPN crew (minus Hislop) and the obnoxious MLS chick and co.  The USMNT/SF and it’s hype machine are like a big dog that yaps a lot that just got smacked upside the head by the cat and is now whimpering with its tail between its legs. 

They have to hype their crap because MLS ESPN and co make their livings and money selling their product. They’re like used car salesmen. 

798AF661-B139-43CC-BEAF-B932E3E4E6C5.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Floortom said:

The america media is losing their minds about this loss.

I must admit i'm a bit concerned. The players must really be feeling the heat and I imagine they will be uber-focused on getting revenge a month from now. Especially if they get some of their guys back from injury (adams, altidore, brooks..). 

I actually think their continued arrogance may bite them in the ass again.

The thing about the US is that they lack superstars. Dunfield was right, gone are the rockstars of yesteryear. There is no Landon Donovan or Clint Dempsey. 

Yes, overall their core players are in better club environments and are arguably more talented than previous cycles, plus they are young and thus I get why Americans are excited about them. If I were American I too would be excited and likely prone to overrating them based on their potential.

But the reality is that our starting line up, if not our 18, is only marginally weaker than theirs. However, we have two star players in David and Davies who are playing very well, while they have one star player (Pulisic) who is not playing well at all.

Other stars can and probably will emerge for them down the road, but as of now that is the reality that Gomez and these other bozos are too blind to see. 

Is Gregg Berhalter and their entire federation a problem for them? Yes, undeniably so, but expectations must be in line with their current reality.

I don't know if anyone has heard Craig Burley on ESPN FC lately, but he puts it very bluntly: The USA are just not that good. They have merely been a blip on the world football radar over the past few decades. And so on and so forth...

It is a great listen, perhaps I will come back and post it.

How does a guy make a comment about someone coming out of the stands eating chicken wings and schooling a bunch of players and still be let on tv. What's he even talking about.

Shake Hislop and the Brit are just sitting there wondering what planet they were put on. What reason, what thing has ever happened in the world of soccer that they can just assume they should always be on that sort of level. It's insanity

37 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Fair enough, I couldn't stand to listen to the entire rant.  Junior was there last year.  Afield recently.  Millar is Liverpool.  Jonathan David about to be there as well.  So I also take it with a grain of salt.

Wait. What?  David might go to Liverpool?  Where did you hear this?  That’d be awesome!

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

How does a guy make a comment about someone coming out of the stands eating chicken wings and schooling a bunch of players and still be let on tv. What's he even talking about.

Shake Hislop and the Brit are just sitting there wondering what planet they were put on. What reason, what thing has ever happened in the world of soccer that they can just assume they should always be on that sort of level. It's insanity

I don't watch a lot of ESPN FC, usually on a the wrong time and I have to go looking.

But watching those guys without a lot of context, it felt a bit shock jock-like.  Say things to get a reaction rather than be factual.

7 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I don't watch a lot of ESPN FC, usually on a the wrong time and I have to go looking.

But watching those guys without a lot of context, it felt a bit shock jock-like.  Say things to get a reaction rather than be factual.

That's why I can't do American sports anymore. Even with my beloved Seahawks I just watch the game. It's all complete nonsense. That country is in a world of hurt. The guys talking about things from 30 years ago.. the game was played last Tuesday, not 30 years ago. Wake up and look at the roster sheet you goofball

One of the guys on the panel commented "Did you see that starting 11, How did this group lose to that starting 11" and  "You have guys on that team that aren't even signed". How can you be on that panel and be that ignorant? That is why they are so shell-shocked, because they are completely unaware of any other team. That is part of the reason they keep losing.

Any objective observer who sees both sets of players and sees the outcome would not be surprised in the slightest that USA lost away from home to Canada.

You don't even need to even follow both teams closely. All you have to do is take a cursory look at the rosters and where the players play to realize that an away loss for the USA is fairly reasonable. 

Now, if Canada beats USA at home, I think the neutral onlooker could fairly consider it a slight upset, given both sets of players, but there was no upset in this one. Any talk of upset is in the context of past historical trends, which do not matter. What matters is the here and now.

And that holds true for our lads. They need to quickly put this game behind them. November we must do it all over again, away from home this time. The challenge is massive and there is little time for the players to bask in the glory of Tuesday's win. It is history now. It means nothing if we don't leave Disneyland with at least a point. In reality we need all 3.

Edited by Obinna