Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread: Sep 12, 2019 - Valour vs. Forge

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

I actually disagree. There has been a comedy of bad breaks and individual errors between Le Bourhis and Mitter but nobody looks like they have given up.

Alright fair enough. Now that the rage has diminished a bit, but I just don’t understand this team.  I remember Thomas had performed so well in USL the year before and then seeing him in training camp he looked great, but in this team it’s like they don’t know how to play together 

Just now, Weng said:

Alright fair enough. Now that the rage has diminished a bit, but I just don’t understand this team.  I remember Thomas had performed so well in USL the year before and then seeing him in training camp he looked great, but in this team it’s like they don’t know how to play together 

Their players simply aren't good enough. Go man for man, the roster is much weaker than all the non-Halifax sides.

Just now, jonovision said:

Their players simply aren't good enough. Go man for man, the roster is much weaker than all the non-Halifax sides.

Halifax has a strong side, just a useless manager who doesn't know what to do with them.

What I will never understand though is why Attardo isn't a regular for this team.

Just now, Ingham said:

Halifax has a strong side, just a useless manager who doesn't know what to do with them.

What I will never understand though is why Attardo isn't a regular for this team.

Attardo has been very poor in limited minutes since late June. He's not a good enough passer to play on the wing, and for now Paolucci has the ST spot.

Just now, jonovision said:

Attardo has been very poor in limited minutes since late June. He's not a good enough passer to play on the wing, and for now Paolucci has the ST spot.

He's got a better goalscoring instinct though. 

I really like Rob Gale as a person and really wanted this team to succeed.  This team though has become unwatchable. I’m not sure if he’s a bad coach or just has bad players.  But if it’s the players, he was the one the brought them in.  Maybe a football director position is needed and then he can just coach.  I don’t know. This is just painful 

1 minute ago, Ingham said:

He's got a better goalscoring instinct though. 

I'm not sure I've seen the evidence of that. He is a good header of the ball but hasn't shown much else.

Just now, Weng said:

I really like Rob Gale as a person and really wanted this team to succeed.  This team though has become unwatchable. I’m not sure if he’s a bad coach or just has bad players.  But if it’s the players, he was the one the brought them in.  Maybe a football director position is needed and then he can just coach.  I don’t know. This is just painful 

I like Gale as a personality. I think that Valour should can him and OneSoccer should pick him up as a commentator; he's worth so much more to the league as a personality than as a coach. 

5 hours ago, Lofty said:

Prediction: Valour will take every gawdamed corner short, not even fooling the ten year old girls in the crowd who are busy talking amongst themselves, and thereby totally piss away the attacking opportunity, as usual. God forbid that they should ever try to cross one into a dangerous area in the hope that even a pygmy can get his head on the ball once in a while. @damaaster, watching his first ever Valour match on OneSoccer, will finally smash his screen in disgust and be unable to watch any more Valour matches, which will probably be the best thing for his health anyway. And Valour will give up at least one goal on a break away.

So far as the result goes, it is hard to see past another Forge victory for the 5-0 season series clean sweep.

Valour 0 Forge 3.

You forgot to mention that this would be the score at halftime.

27 minutes ago, jonovision said:

LOL at Kyle Bekker. If you're screaming at an opponent to get up after a foul when you're up 3-0 and a man, there's a big chance you're a huge dick.

I didn’t see the play, but diving doesn’t belong in the game, regardless of the score. I’ll always give someone **** for going down easy 

Just now, Aird25 said:

I didn’t see the play, but diving doesn’t belong in the game, regardless of the score. I’ll always give someone **** for going down easy 

Beside the point, but it wasn't a dive.

Mitter was thinking handball the whole way there.  The guy is a dumb and talentless footballer - it is what it is.  The two Englishmen on valour are the problem.  I’m a forge fan and even I’m pissed .. there are some good players but Gale and Mitter are clearly a class below the league.

13 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Mitter was thinking handball the whole way there.  The guy is a dumb and talentless footballer - it is what it is.  The two Englishmen on valour are the problem.  I’m a forge fan and even I’m pissed .. there are some good players but Gale and Mitter are clearly a class below the league.

Until now I thought that Mitter had many of the qualities and instincts of a decent defender but was simply too unathletic to be a good player. Now I don't know what to think.

It really looked like Valour were going to lie down and die at HT, but they played with some heart in the second half.  Nice to see young Attardo get one.

As a season ticket holder, this club is simply not good enough.  We have one of the best supported clubs in the league and the on-field product is simply NOT good enough.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

I think "very poor" is too harsh but I agree that he has not been particularly good. He is a poacher, not a left winger. One option would be to play him with Paolucci (4-4-2?), who is superb at laying off perfect passes (just ask LBG). Regardless, I think Attardo should have been playing more than he has.

Just another example of Gale not knowing what he has. 

Edited by Lofty

A few thoughts:

1. Valour MOTM: Louis Beland-Goyette

2. There is something fundamentally wrong when you have to wait until you are three goals and a man down before you start to play. I feel very let down, again.

3. Mitter hung the team out to dry with that idiotic handball. Looked to me like an easy way to bottle out when another thrashing looked on the cards. He needs to take a long hard look at himself.

4. Valour's lack of depth in defence continues to be a problem. Defence will virtually pick itself again next match. Who is responsible for not having enough cover in defence?

5. Much better from Murrell. Keep it up.

6. Bustos is extremely predictable. Always cuts inside onto his left foot and keeps trying to beat players until he gets a shot or loses the ball. He needs to pass more but his team mates also need to make the runs to give him those options.

7. Valour's movement is simply not good enough. Not sufficient in quantity or quality.

8. Garcia brought some great energy when he came on. Getting up and down the wing and hustling his ass off. Quality of movement could be better but his introduction made a clear difference (he was plus one today).

9. Tyler Attardo needs to play more often and needs to play up front.

10. Ref was very good but my one criticism is he did not use the advantage rule, which is a big failure. On Forge's third, a top ref would have given a goal and a yellow to Mitter.

11. Forge are just better. Great movement up front. Was almost a pleasure to watch.

12. I'm finding it harder and harder to keep supporting more time for Gale. Even in his post match interviews he is starting to look like a deer in the headlights who has no idea how to fix the latest debacle. I hope he finds a way to sort it out, and fast, but I won't be holding my breath.

13. In this league, NO match should be a foregone conclusion before it even starts. This one was.

14. At least it wasn't eight fücking nil.

Edited by Lofty

^ ^To be fair (or more likely generous) this team was cobbled together around a lot of unknowns.  There did seem to be a lot of opportunity hires, more "Hey!  He's solid and available let's sign him!" as opposed to "we need a ..." but Gale and every other manager in this young league put together teams for a league they didn't know anything about and well, it has to be clear by now that this team isn't the right build for CPL.  

Valour is going to get bigger, faster and more athletic in 2020.  Mark my words.  It'll have to.  There's a core there to work with, to be sure, but too much of the same needs to be replaced with  complimenting different dynamics in every part of the field.  

And I just don't get it.  The principle of building from the back has been practiced for 150 years now. From the very craddle of football's infancy, and with good reason.  If your're 90% deep into the season and your back line can't threaten an off-side trap/movement on a progressive action by your opponent then you're defending is absolutely rubbish.  Now that isn't necessarily all down to the defenders of course, but at the end of the day one way or another it does come down to the  coaching and well, the coach has to wear it. 

Edited by Cheeta

14 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

And I just don't get it.  The principle of building from the back has been practiced for 150 years now. From the very craddle of football's infancy, and with good reason.

I'm jumping to conclusions on what a "craddle" might be, but with that caveat, great post, 100%. 😀

Gale needs to up his game right along with the players. Off season squad strengthening will be crucial and if he brings in one more fücking attacking mid I will not be responsible for my actions.