Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread: Sep 12, 2019 - Valour vs. Forge

Match is at 7pm CDT (8pm EDT) and can be seen live on OneSoccer.

This is the 5th and final meeting this season and Forge have won all 4 previous encounters, the most recent being a 3-1 win at IGF where Forge also missed a penalty.

Valour have had ten days to contemplate how they contrived to lose 8-0 to Cavalry in their previous match. Meanwhile Forge are coming off a 2-1 home win over York.

Forge are playing for the Fall Season title, but regardless have that second berth in the Championship Games all locked up. Valour are playing to erase the memory of that 8-0 thrashing and also for third place, which is a surprisingly close race.

Forge are currently 2nd in the Fall Season table with 20 pts from 9 matches, while Valour sit 6th with 12 pts from 11 matches. Forge would go top with a win, while a win for Valour would lift them up to 3rd and keep emergency services at IGF busy with fans swooning in disbelief.

Official preview: https://canpl.ca/article/preview-valour-fc-vs-forge-fc-match-72

Edited by Lofty

Valour team news: Not sure when Farago's broken finger will be fully healed but I'm guessing not just yet. Arguiñarena is still out injured, and Golubar is gone for the season. Thomas is suspended for this one after accumulating 4 bookings but Murrell returns from his 6 match tablegate suspension. Ohin is now one booking away from a 2 match ban for 8 bookings.

I'm expecting Valour to revert to 4-2-3-1 after being so brutally exposed by Cavalry. The fates have conspired to force Gale to finally play Murrell in what I believe to be his best position: left back. Centre backs pick themselves as there are only two available and Garcia and Ohin probably joust for RB. The two holding mids plus Petrasso, Bustos, and Paolucci pretty much all pick themselves which leves one attacking mid place up for grabs. It seems to me that Sacramento keeps playing well and then getting dropped, although I can see why Gale wants Gutierrez on the pitch as he is a very good footballer, albeit one who refuses to shoot.

Projected Valour Line-Up:

Formation: 4-2-3-1

Goal: Janssens;

Defence (R-L): Garcia, Le Bourhis, Mitter, Murrell;

Holding Mid: Galán, Beland-Goyette;

Attacking Mid: Petrasso, Sacramento, Bustos;

Forward: Paolucci.

An interesting match up for all of the reasons Doug points out in the first post, pride on the line for Valour while Forge are trying to book their spot in the final! Forge have a good cushion over the Eddies atm, I'm just thinking fixture congestion will catch up a little bit and really put the squad depth to a test! This has been a good week of football viewing with Forge playing 3 times and Canada twice!

Prediction: Valour will take every gawdamed corner short, not even fooling the ten year old girls in the crowd who are busy talking amongst themselves, and thereby totally piss away the attacking opportunity, as usual. God forbid that they should ever try to cross one into a dangerous area in the hope that even a pygmy can get his head on the ball once in a while. @damaaster, watching his first ever Valour match on OneSoccer, will finally smash his screen in disgust and be unable to watch any more Valour matches, which will probably be the best thing for his health anyway. And Valour will give up at least one goal on a break away.

So far as the result goes, it is hard to see past another Forge victory for the 5-0 season series clean sweep.

Valour 0 Forge 3.

Edited by Lofty

24 minutes ago, gator said:

An interesting match up for all of the reasons Doug points out in the first post, pride on the line for Valour while Forge are trying to book their spot in the final! Forge have a good cushion over the Eddies atm, I'm just thinking fixture congestion will catch up a little bit and really put the squad depth to a test! This has been a good week of football viewing with Forge playing 3 times and Canada twice!

It will be a moral victory for Valour if the ref deems it appropriate to actually play the stoppage time at the end of the match. Unlike the previous one where he mercifully blew the final whistle right at 90:00, despite numerous substitutions, stoppages, and FIVE goals, that all should have resulted in added time. You know you are truly shite when the ref applies the MERCY RULE in a supposedly professional match!!

Edited by Lofty

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Geesh lofty, stop rage posting,  or at least wait until something bad has happened.  You are harshing my buzz.  

Good god man, if my posts are "harshing your buzz" I sincerely hope you were not subjected to actually sitting through that last debacle!

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

Oh sure, but lets not relive it today until it happens.  

It's fairly common practice to set up the next match with reference to the previous one. And in this case I think a little gallows humour is entirely appropriate.

I think A LOT of gallows humour is appropriate.  😬

Happy thoughts, happy thoughts, happy thoughts.

Actually feeling a good vibe right now.  Lads have had a good long rest. Probably tired of Gale scowling at them by now and ready to make amends.  Feels like footie weather, to me at least, and with a bit of good fortune Forge will be carrying some heavy legs around tonight.  So yeah, go Valour!

I've liked Carreiro's contributions off the bench in recent matches (the obvious exception applies) so it's good to see him get a run out in the starting XI. I had forgotten about the Thomas suspension and was ready to get conspiratorial about his absence in the lineup. I think his average form over the fall season has better than either of today's starting CBs (I know some here disagree), but we'll see what Gale does when everyone is available.

Absolutely miserable weather in Winnipeg for soccer. (Playing in these conditions is kind of fun, but sitting in them, not so much.) I managed to acquire a running injury, which has made stairs nearly impossible for a few days, which is more than enough of an excuse to stay home.

Prediction: Valour 1 (Bustos), Forge 2

Edited by jonovision

4 minutes ago, Ingham said:

Chris Nanco has improved heaps. At the start of the season it looked like he had never seen a football before.

Nanco truly looked like a Track athlete in the spring season. His growth has made it much easier to deal with the loss of Welshman.

with wingers stepping up to fill voids (to the point where even Borges can shift to the mid) and with our defensive improvements, I will admit that Forge much improved from gaining Edgar/losing Welshman

Edited by Pottsy3

1 minute ago, Weng said:

WTF!!  They are  such a joke!  These players looked ready to fold from the start

I actually disagree. There has been a comedy of bad breaks and individual errors between Le Bourhis and Mitter but nobody looks like they have given up.

1 minute ago, Weng said:

Mitter is such a useless waste.  How do you not try to turn your body and stick a leg out instead of using your arm.  Pitiful

Heck, let it go in. Being down 3-0 with 11 men is better than an 80% chance of still being down 3-0 with 10 men.