Sign in to follow this  
narduch

Match Thread: September 11, 2019 - Pacific v York9

Zero shots on goal for York... this seems to be a pattern; they play well enough and are usually competitive in matches, but for the most part struggle to generate scoring opportunities. I reiterate my view that York 9 should sign a ‘marquis’ type striker in the off season. Preferably one with name recognition among casuals, even if he’s ageing, in order to help attendance, and of course to score some bloody goals!

9 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

I reiterate my view that York 9 should sign a ‘marquis’ type striker in the off season. Preferably one with name recognition among casuals, even if he’s ageing, in order to help attendance, and of course to score some bloody goals!

At the expense of squad depth?

3 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

At the expense of squad depth?

Yeah, salary caps are a thing... true. Ideally there might (hopefully) be a raised cap, or some kind of exception for ‘marquis’ players not to count against the cap, but I guess it’ll be tough until that happens. 

8 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

Zero shots on goal for York... this seems to be a pattern; they play well enough and are usually competitive in matches, but for the most part struggle to generate scoring opportunities. I reiterate my view that York 9 should sign a ‘marquis’ type striker in the off season. Preferably one with name recognition among casuals, even if he’s ageing, in order to help attendance, and of course to score some bloody goals!

Yeah, it's kind of amazing how little we generate in the final third some days.

23 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

I reiterate my view that York 9 should sign a ‘marquis’ type striker in the off season. Preferably one with name recognition among casuals, even if he’s ageing, in order to help attendance, and of course to score some bloody goals!

With their lousy attendance, you really think they are going to buck up for a big name?

The Blizzard tried to sign Zico when they were a CSL team with similar attendance woes and actually did sign a former Brazilian world cup player called Edinho. All depends on what the Greenpark Homes guy wants to do with his money. Hence why we have been told there are rumours about their short-term future. Could go either way.

On 9/11/2019 at 9:49 PM, Ams1984 said:

Once CPL teams start thinking this way, the league is doomed. CPL is not about marquee players and is never going to be about marquee players. The money simply isn't there and even if it were, I seriously question the effect on attendance anyway, unless the player is someone like David Beckham.

5 hours ago, Lofty said:

Once CPL teams start thinking this way, the league is doomed. CPL is not about marquee players and is never going to be about marquee players. The money simply isn't there and even if it were, I seriously question the effect on attendance anyway, unless the player is someone like David Beckham.

Why would it be “doomed?” 

I also disagree with the notion that only a world superstar can draw casuals and help grow the fanbase. 

Having a top player (for this level) on a club would:

1) make the games more exciting, especially if the player is offensive. 

2) increase notoriety and news coverage of the league. Considering that it does very little advertising and gets very little coverage, this might be especially helpful. 

3) help clubs whose attendance isn’t great by a) making the games better, b) attracting casuals and bettering the atmosphere, all of which would;

4) help the league make more money. 

Doesn't sound like doom to me. I’m also hoping that they’ll get rid of the salary cap eventually. At the very least, they should make it flexible and linked to revenue on a per club basis. For the league to improve and grow, we need to spend (responsibly). 

It's a fair enough point though that a lot of money is needed nowadays to get somebody in with the name recognition needed to make a genuine difference on crowds and who just as importantly can also still make a difference out on the field. Diego Forlan on a zimmer frame could have been embarrassing and may have had less to offer in the present day than even Calum Ferguson.

It was easier to do 30 or 40 years ago when players were not earning such huge money in Europe or South America, meaning Toronto Croatia could attract somebody like a past his prime but still capable of scoring goals Eusebio. Another angle to consider is that players like Eusebio would have still needed the money in the twilight of their career in a way today's recent big names usually don't.