Cuban Defectors in CPL?

CanadaFan123

34 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

What are the odds we see a couple stick around?  The best of them, Yordan Santa Cruz was accused of rape in Jamaica so he can’t get into the USA.. though with their border anything is possible.  Seems he needs to stay in Canada and he would definitely be good enough for CPL.. he was probably their best player.

He needs to get his issues in JA sorted first. Since the US knows about it I highly doubt Canada allows an accused rapist to live and work in the country.

Football side of things i'm all for it. Read something on twitter suggesting giving domestic status in the league to defectors

5 minutes ago, KW519 said:

He needs to get his issues in JA sorted first. Since the US knows about it I highly doubt Canada allows an accused rapist to live and work in the country.

Football side of things i'm all for it. Read something on twitter suggesting giving domestic status in the league to defectors

I’m not sure because there was never any evidence as I understand it.  If you read up on it, it’s a really bizarre surreal story.  Her comments make it seem pretty politically driven. 

It would seem a human rights issue to deny refuge to a displaced person based on an accusation.  

26 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I’m not sure because there was never any evidence as I understand it.  If you read up on it, it’s a really bizarre surreal story.  Her comments make it seem pretty politically driven. 

It would seem a human rights issue to deny refuge to a displaced person based on an accusation.  

Will definitely have to read up on it. 

Don't know too much about refugee and immigration law so there's a good chance i'm wrong.

In the case that he's fine to live and work in Canada Jimmy Brennan has nothing to lose taking a chance on an International forward. Maybe we see him in green?

6 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Assuming he’s not actually a rapist, I’m all for it. We should let Cuban defectors stay, and in the case of soccer players, I’d bet that they’d be domestic players for league purposes (I believe that refugees are given PR status). 

That being said, I really don’t know how one gets to the bottom of such an allegation when it’s made elsewhere, especially if the person in question hasn’t been tried, and particularly if the system doing the investigating in situ is questionable at best (as most third world justice systems are).