I HATE ALL THE TRADITIONAL MEDIA IN THIS COUNTRY

Admin

Sorry to hear of the OneSoccer disparity. For me, and I have been tetchy at best regarding OneSoccer, the game coverage and look was great and at worst on par with TSN or SNET. Great look, good camera shots and sound  decent commentary and punditry. (I was worried in advance). 

Had zero issues with streaming. Shame everyone's experience wasnt the same.

I wonder if OneSoccer is hanging onto these matches as a way to pursue a bigger subscriber base.  All sorts of people were looking for streams yesterday, and I always directed them to the one month free trial.  

There are a limited number of matches that would let OS draw in new people that were not part of the initial CPL subscriber base.  If I am an OS exec, I could understand the logic of not giving rights to other broadcasters (or making it prohibitively expensive) as part of a long term strategy to draw people into their platform .  Even the occasional CBC CPL game may Be viewed primarily as a way to get more people more interested in CPL - knowing that OS is the only platform where you can get more than sporadic coverage.  

I think attendance at last night's game was a head scratcher. I'm not in Toronto but when someone declared there will be 20k at BMO for US vs Canada it was genuinely shocked. I'm not sure what's up there but hopefully we have a fantastic game against the Americans and the general public jumps in board 

With all that being said.. I think it's time for the CSAto take this team out of the shadows and start thinking bigger. Let's see some bigger name friendlies at home. I know we're kinda stuck playing these minnows but we need to start measuring ourselves against more traditional soccer nations. Because I think we'll do well. We can beat a lot of teams and i think that will wake up the media and the public.  Loosing to Haiti was an opportunity lost but it happens.  I honestly believe we're the 3rd best team in Concacaf, maybe even 2nd. We'll find out soon

Edited by SpursFlu

I predicted a crowd between 10 and 12k so I wasn’t surprised. I am not sure what the Canadian National hockey team would draw in Toronto if they were up against a Leaf game while playing against, say, the Austrian national hockey team in the equivalent of a glorified friendly but we will probably never know as such a ridiculous situation will probably never happen. 

The games being on one soccer will not do much for increasing the team’s profile. The US games need to be on proper tv IMO.

22 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think attendance at last night's game was a head scratcher. I'm not in Toronto but when someone declared there will be 20k at BMO for US vs Canada it was genuinely shocked. I'm not sure what's up there but hopefully we have a fantastic game against the Americans and the general public jumps in board 

With all that being said.. I think it's time for the CSAto take this team out of the shadows and start thinking bigger. Let's see some bigger name friendlies at home. I know we're kinda stuck playing these minnows but we need to start measuring ourselves against more traditional soccer nations. Because I think we'll do well. We can beat a lot of teams and i think that will wake up the media and the public.  Loosing to Haiti was an opportunity lost but it happens.  I honestly believe we're the 3rd best team in Concacaf, maybe even 2nd. We'll find out soon

I do think the US game will be a huge draw no doubt. 

I'm not surprised this game only drew a little over 10,000. I consider myself a hard core supporter and even I was struggling with the decision to head down and watch it considering the level of opposition and the fact I just plain and simply don't like going downtown all that often.

I literally bought the tickets last second on the car ride over as I finally managed to convince a friend to come with.

42 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I do think the US game will be a huge draw no doubt. 

I'm not surprised this game only drew a little over 10,000. I consider myself a hard core supporter and even I was struggling with the decision to head down and watch it considering the level of opposition and the fact I just plain and simply don't like going downtown all that often.

I literally bought the tickets last second on the car ride over as I finally managed to convince a friend to come with.

Not trying to be a dick, but your post is precisely why lots of people want games held outside Toronto.  The idea that a “hard core supporter” of the CMNT would skip one of the 3 or 4 home games played per year in this country when it is in their own city seems absolutely unfathomable - at least to me.  Many of us would love to have that opportunity but simply do not.

And if you barely care enough to go, it is hard to think that the average Torontonian. will get excited about it.  

Not enough hype of the team yet. There are too many other entertainment options for TV and live attendance especially in Toronto. Yesterday we even had Andreescu winning the U.S. Open.

Beating the U.S. is a tough but achievable thing to do and is probably the bare minimum to start up any kind of hype train.

8 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

Not enough hype of the team yet. There are too many other entertainment options for TV and live attendance especially in Toronto. Yesterday we even had Andreescu winning the U.S. Open.

Beating the U.S. is a tough but achievable thing to do and is probably the bare minimum to start up any kind of hype train.

I'm not saying your lying or wrong but if that's the perception in Toronto I'm thinking the games should go elsewhere

11 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm not saying your lying or wrong but if that's the perception in Toronto I'm thinking the games should go elsewhere

Even when they did the World Cup of Hockey the interest wasn't what they thought it would be. There's a limited amount of entertainment eyeballs and dollars downtown.

I think if it were just outside of Toronto it would do much better.

Just chiming in about Onesoccer. I had heard there have been lots of problems. However, I have only experienced one all year. I stream from the iPad app and attach it to my TV. One Edmonton game cut out, but aside from that the streaming has been great. I also never have time to watch games live, so the on demand games are great.

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I don't thinks a big deal.. but definitely Toronto needs to come out big for the game against the US. That's a big game and could very well be that moment this cmnt needs to change the perception

Cuba isn't going to draw anywhere right now.  If there were 10K out for that one then grand.   Unless someone wants to buy the match and promote it in a different location (on speculation) it's pretty hard making the case for another venue hosting as far as I'm concerned.  

The US match in October better make a strong gate though.  There's an argument for getting CMNT into CanPL cities for the promotional opportunity alone.    

I haven’t had an issue with OneSoccer apart from the one match they abandoned.  It might be a technical issue for people that is easy to solve or they have a weak connection because I’ve streamed through computer, phone and tv with no issues. 

The crowd was disappointing but honestly it’s old beating up on teams - that is all Toronto ever sees.  The last time Toronto had a “competitive” match against Jamaica in a friendly they drew 20k+.  Bring in a big opponent and we can sell out BMO.

Edited by CanadaFan123

How did this go from media in Canada to a discussion on attendance last night?

I'm fine with games on OneSoccer. If they care enough they will pay $6 to watch, and if they're curious enough they will start a free trial. OneSoccer is doing more for the game than the few casual fans that missed out can and will ever do. Hopefully the CPL was able to generate some new interest after everyone using the app yesterday

3 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

OneSoccer is fine as long as you have a decent download speed (4+ Mbps), the question is what do you do if you don't have that?

1) Go to Starbucks.

2) Attend a local viewing party.

I once had to resort to watching a crap stream for a friendly against Portugal (2005?) years ago at a public library.

Most of my football watching has now become through streams rather than cable tv. People complaining are a bit too clingly towards traditional media.

Look at this weekend.

Friday: all CNL, 1 NWSL & 1 Euro qualifier were live streams. 2 Euro qualifiers on tv.

Saturday: all CNL, 2 EFL, 1 laLiga women's, all African WC qualifers, 2 Euro qualifers, 1 NWSL & 3 MLS were live streams. 3 Euro qualifers & 1 MLS matches on tv.

Sunday: all CNL, all African WC qualifers, CPL & 3 Euro qualifers were live streams. 2 Euro qualifers on tv.