Canada vs Cuba - Sat Sept 7th - game thread

8 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Not so much that it comes back to... how do you keep any of  Hoilett, David & Cavallini off the field?

A couple days ago people were saying how Hoilett has lost a step, was really dropping off etc, and Millar would be knocking on the door for his spot soon.  I think we'll find a way to get to get them all games, rotation etc.  I thought someone said Cardiff plays on friday, maybe he sits next game, or subs in etc if needed.  

Kaye looked really good most of the game. Piette was solid too.  When Arfield comes back into the squad, who starts?  Does Osorio make the pitch?  Kaye only seems to be getting better and better, but the States will be a different kettle of fish. I mean, these are good problems to have, I won't lie.  They would be GREAT problems to have IF we could bolster our backline.  Henry and Cornelius were solid, minus the one Henry-gaffe. (Gonna have to start calling him Biden: he's good for at least one gaffe an outing. Well taken goal, though.) Richie looked good, but he won't be getting forward nearly as much versus the US.  The team needs to learn how to play team defense, especially with a back four that is not nearly as potent as the front five. That is what worries me most: team D.

Good result. Mostly tidy. Some well-taken goals. Tuesday will be tougher, but they should get the W.  

35 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

A couple days ago people were saying how Hoilett has lost a step, was really dropping off etc, and Millar would be knocking on the door for his spot soon.  I think we'll find a way to get to get them all games, rotation etc.  I thought someone said Cardiff plays on friday, maybe he sits next game, or subs in etc if needed.  

I was saying this, happy to be proven wrong.  Hoilett did not look good in the Gold Cup but this is a truly dangerous team if Davies, David, Hoilett, Cavallini, and Arfield are all in form at the same time.  

18 minutes ago, yomurphy1 said:

At the game I was actually quite impressed with Vitoria's cameo minus one pass. Physical presence,  good on the ball, just a little afraid of what happens against speedy attackers.

Agreed on Vitoria. He's a little different to Henry, Cornelius and James. Has more of a calming, veteran presence. Should also be another threat on set pieces.

Great for him to be back in the mix, he'll be useful for this cycle, but ultimately I think Henry and Cornelius are still our best pairing.

Vitoria still looks too uncomfortable against forwards with pace for my liking. I'll take my chances with the odd, random Doniel gaffe. Vitoria will be a great stand in though.

Just back from the match, I would say it was pretty much job done, 6-0, it could have been more, we had some really good attacking play once we settled into the match! Hoilett obviously MOM,, there were many other good performances as well! Davies put in lots of work but they keyed on him and there was always one too many men to beat! Millar was quite good running down the wing when he came in, besides one moment of madness, Henry was real solid! It was nice to see many friends at the pre game and the match atmosphere was really good, nice job by the capo and drummers!

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I hate to say it but... with a full squad I dont see how Alphonso doesn't play LB

It’s one match but he was our worst player when he was at LW.  Tried to do way too much and they were triple and double teaming him. Looked much better at LB as had space to run at defenders when overlapping.  I personally would like to see him there against the US to see what he can do with hoilet cavalini and David up front.  Kaye has earned his place over Osorio when Arfield is back. Laryea has earned his place as RB against the US.  It will be a good test to see how he can defend most of the match while still giving the side width in attack. We won’t know until he is tested for a couple of matches at least. 

We're in a weird time in our national team history in that we seem to either thrash the shit out of teams or lose close matches. Cuba offered little in the way of adversity or attacking threat tonight and I would be surprised if the neutral site game mid-week is all that much different. It's good that we can pound the weaker teams but we need to win some adversity-matches.

A few thoughts on what I saw from the team tonight... I thought Laryea impressed in his debut -  seemed in sync with the attack.  Unfortunately, I thought Miller at left just doesn't have the technique at this time to play at this level.  I am in the camp that Davies should play left back.   Kaye is such a creative force in the midfield.  Piette had a high work rate and did a wonderful job at destroying the Cuban attack and making smart decisions with the ball.  I think they'll have to drop Osorio if we have a full squad - he seems too slow in his decision making... although not playing much lately for TFC probably doesn't help.

32 minutes ago, An Observer said:

It’s one match but he was our worst player when he was at LW.  Tried to do way too much and they were triple and double teaming him. Looked much better at LB as had space to run at defenders when overlapping.  I personally would like to see him there against the US to see what he can do with hoilet cavalini and David up front.  Kaye has earned his place over Osorio when Arfield is back. Laryea has earned his place as RB against the US.  It will be a good test to see how he can defend most of the match while still giving the side width in attack. We won’t know until he is tested for a couple of matches at least. 

Again, my comment has nothing to do with Davies play and everything to do with Hoilett and David's play. It's a complement to Davies that he should play LB because the other plays sure the hell couldn't 

And I don't want to pile on the guy but i don't see Osorio in the starting lineup when Arfield gets back. Piette - MAK - Arfied should be the starting midfield 

Edited by SpursFlu

David's goal from start to finish.  

https://streamable.com/obtgu

He's being played as a 10 in a diamond at Gent for league and Europa games. The development in his game over the last 12 months has been nothing short of phenomenal.  Gent realizes they're sitting on a gold mine.  He'll easily bring in more than what the Caps got for Davies.

8 hours ago, VinceA said:

I feel bad because he's had a tough time, but man I am so unimpressed by  Larin. All he has is his finishing and even that isn't better than David. I don't really want to see him until he figures his game out. I would have rather seen Tesho and based on Herdman's comments it looks like we'll see him in the return leg.

I actually thought he looked pretty good when he came on last night. Some great touches and layoffs setting up at least one goal. 

Similar to what hes doing in belgium now, great hold up play in the build up to his teams goals while they keep winning. 

Edited by king1010

1 minute ago, Mikmacdo said:

I expect a full squad rotation on Tuesday. 

GK: Max

Cordova-Vitoria-Kamal-Sam

Johnson-Teibert-Wotherspoon 

Tesho-Larin-Millar 

I can’t see it.  With goal differential possibly coming into play, we can’t afford to use this as a training session. Some changes sure - Davies ankle may still be sore, I could see Cordova get a start, etc - but there is no way we sit all of Hoilett, David, Oso, Henry, Cornelius, etc.  

7 minutes ago, king1010 said:

I actually thought he looked pretty good when he came on last night. Some great touches and layoffs setting up at least one goal. 

Similar to what hes doing in belgium now, great hold up play in the build up to his teams goals while they keep winning. 

I agree.  He missed his best chance, which sucked, but his playmaking looked good. Little dummies, quick through balls, etc.  I also though he would have banged on the header that was headed his way before the keeper got a hand to it early on in his shift.