Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

Let say we qualify for the Olympics....would you prefer to see David, Davies, and Cornelius at the Olympics or Gold Cup?
I for sure would prefer the Olympics. The exposure would be massive, since it would be the first time Canada is at the olympics for soccer since ever.

Next year will be very interesting for the entire mens program - U20, U23, Senior A & B....a lot of guys will definitely get some looks.

56 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Would clubs teams allow Davies and David to go to the Olympics? I doubt it will be on a fifa window. Also that’s a lot of soccer, for those players. Honestly I wouldn’t be shocked if we don’t see them at either 

Clubs can’t refuse participation in the GC though, can they?  It is an official FIFA event occurring during the European off-season.  At minimum, these guys would be at the GC.  

If the choice is mandatory GC or Olympics at the discretion of Bayern and Lille, the odds are better of the GC.  But if it is truly a choice of which competition they should be at, I would lean towards the Olympics.  I know “real” soccer countries often don’t send their best U23 players to the Olympics after they have senior caps, but the attention a good run would generate in this country can’t be understated.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

WC qualifying & GC are mandatory player releases. Olympics is discretionary.

From a marketing perspective, GC ranks third amongst the three. Olympics is second for marketing but third as a competition.

So Davies & David would be in Olympics pre-covid if they/their clubs said yes. But given WC qualifying is now happening just before and just after the Olympics, Davies & David shouldn't be in the Olympics. They should be in pre-season training to make sure they're ready for their seasons and peaking for qualifying.

Edited by red card

David and Davies were/are too critical for their clubs to release for Olympics.  They would never have been on the team.

However they are both critical to our National team and their clubs value having internationals on their teams.  

The truth about our Olympics roster is it will probably be filled with CPL players and guys at the end of MLS benches.   It’s important for marketing but Herdman has his eye on the World Cup first and foremost.  There is a lot of pressure to make the WC with our golden generation that we have right now before 2026.

33 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

David and Davies were/are too critical for their clubs to release for Olympics.  They would never have been on the team.

However they are both critical to our National team and their clubs value having internationals on their teams.  

The truth about our Olympics roster is it will probably be filled with CPL players and guys at the end of MLS benches.   It’s important for marketing but Herdman has his eye on the World Cup first and foremost.  There is a lot of pressure to make the WC with our golden generation that we have right now before 2026.

Probably be filled with CPL and bench MLS ? Come on ! Do some research, expand your knowledge and that goes for Others too. Canada has a lot of young talented players in Europe that should be/can be called. Our Olympic team should surprise everyone. Yes there should be some CPL talent and MLS but come on 😱😓

No doubt. Just think, even if our big names aren’t there you’re still looking at an Olympic team that will feature guys like Buchanan, Johnston, ZBG, Tabla, Shome, Fraser, Amuz, St. Clair, Millar, Miller, Bassong, Brym, Paton, Kennedy, Yankov, Godinho etc. 

The list is extensive. Most guys on the brink of the CMNT are u23s. Just think, even a CPL stud like Chung (Or formerly, Borges) will find it hard to breakthrough.

Talent won’t be an issue. Just identification and coaching.  

Edited by CanadaFan123

5 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

No doubt. Just think, even if our big names aren’t there you’re still looking at an Olympic team that will feature guys like Buchanan, Johnston, ZBG, Tabla, Shome, Fraser, Amuz, St. Clair, Millar, Miller, Bassong, Brym, Paton, Kennedy, Yankov etc. 

The list is extensive. Most guys on the brink of the CMNT are u23s. 

The Olympics is also where these young talented players can showcase themselves to the world/ too their clubs. I’m thinking like GK Breza who’s with Bologna right now. He is just wall for us that’s gonna bring his value up and maybe Bologna will give them a shot or it will give him better loan options. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

No doubt. Just think, even if our big names aren’t there you’re still looking at an Olympic team that will feature guys like Buchanan, Johnston, ZBG, Tabla, Shome, Fraser, Amuz, St. Clair, Millar, Miller, Bassong, Brym, Paton, Kennedy, Yankov, Godinho etc. 

The list is extensive. Most guys on the brink of the CMNT are u23s. Just think, even a CPL stud like Chung (Or formerly, Borges) will find it hard to breakthrough.

Talent won’t be an issue. Just identification and coaching.  

This. Could be our strongest u23 ever 

858B1B4E-8559-4A78-9688-158A04B24029.jpeg

7 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

This. Could be our strongest u23 ever 

858B1B4E-8559-4A78-9688-158A04B24029.jpeg

Paton over Baldisimo 

Breza is going to be the starter hands down. Hasal should be third . It should Breza , Desjardins, Hasal( if he’s healthy)

I wonder if ZGB will be option ? Also if Gutierrez commits it will be a tough battle with Bassong. It’s going to be great! 

Edited by SpecialK

No St. Clair? Crazy how Borges is being forgotten about too, I don’t care if he’s not playing... the U23s is very promising. 

Like I said before - good luck Mauro picking the 20 man roster. Some guys will be in just because they are duals, like Amuz (who I’ve struggled to find games on).

Some exciting times will be coming next year, I just hope Covid doesn’t ruin it!

I’m really curious what over Agers Will be available. It’s 3 right ? I would love to see Edgar and Hutch be part. Those guys have deserve a chance for a metal. Hutch might not make it to 2022 and definitely not Edgar but two warriors that deserve a chance for a huge win in a Canadian Jersey. 

7 minutes ago, Shway said:

It’s u24 this year, and overagers are only available to be chosen at the Olympic tournament. Not qualifying.

However I agree, I would love to see a guy like Hutch having his swan song at the Olympics.

Ya that’s what I’m mean for the olympics. We are gonna qualify we have a talent for sure! 

It’s going to be  interesting what countries like Haiti and Bermuda do. They play each other to qualify. Both teams can have strong teams. But do they focus on a run at WCQ or gold cup or both ? 

i wish Barbadoes could get all their duals nationals because man they would make things really interesting and more competitive! 

Edited by SpecialK

26 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I wonder though, are we gonna take a real run at the gold cup? . Mexico and the US well bring their b/c teams and other countries like Jamaica etc might bring their B/C teams too because their gonna focus on WCQ. ? It might be our real shot? 

Mexico B will always be competitive.
To my knowledge Jamaica won’t be in WCQ, neither will be Mexico and USA. We have WCQ because we are in the first round, which takes place in March and June . 

However at this point I’m confused as to how it all works.

11 minutes ago, Shway said:

Mexico B will always be competitive.
To my knowledge Jamaica won’t be in WCQ, neither will be Mexico and USA. We have WCQ because we are in the first round, which takes place in March and June . 

However at this point I’m confused as to how it all works.

According to Wikipedia the final round will start June 21 2021. So If Canada makes it they will all play just before the gold cup. So we would be all in the same boat. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_CONCACAF_Third_Round

Edited by SpecialK

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Haven’t seen Johnston play yet, but I’ve seen Farsi. He’s definitely a guy that will be in conversations.

This is just an 11. I’m sure Farsi as well as players others have named will be included in the squad. I also want them involved. Johnston has started a lot of games for Nashville this year and when he plays, he’s usually one of the highest rated defensemen on the pitch. 

19 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

This is just an 11. I’m sure Farsi as well as players others have named will be included in the squad. I also want them involved. Johnston has started a lot of games for Nashville this year and when he plays, he’s usually one of the highest rated defensemen on the pitch. 

We were all saying the same about Abzi this time last year. Lets not overload on Farsi. He looked fantastic though. 

5 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Ya that’s what I’m mean for the olympics. We are gonna qualify we have a talent for sure! 

I wouldn’t say we are going to qualify for sure. If 3-4 teams qualified for Olympics I’d be pretty confident about our chances but only 2 teams from CONCACAF get in. Mexico and USA will always be favourites in that situation.