Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

1 minute ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

the fact that they think it's going to stop by stopping the game. they literally just did the loudest one of the entire game after the second stoppage.

They're even booing the PA announcer.  This is clearly going to continue all tournament long.  

1 minute ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

the fact that they think it's going to stop by stopping the game. they literally just did the loudest one of the entire game after the second stoppage.

The warnings and stoppage is part of the process that eventually leads to sanctions like the WCQs being played behind closed doors.

Whether the in game warnings provoke the crowd and is the best methodology as part of this strategy, well that can be considered. But it's only fair the crowd be warned if it can lead to sanction.

10 minutes ago, Redpunkfiddle said:

The warnings and stoppage is part of the process that eventually leads to sanctions like the WCQs being played behind closed doors.

Whether the in game warnings provoke the crowd and is the best methodology as part of this strategy, well that can be considered. But it's only fair the crowd be warned if it can lead to sanction.

yah, but mexican fans living in the states don't care if games in mexico get played behind closed doors, they can go watch them when they play in the states anyways. and they know they'll qualify for the WC regardless.

like i said earlier, the loudest one was after the second stoppage. tbh, i didn't even notice it before that (and i was listening for it after the PA warning in the first half), which means maybe a few pockets of fans were doing it, that last one sounded like the whole f-ing crowd.

unfortunately this thing ain't going away, and i don't have the answer for how to stop it.

35 minutes ago, narduch said:

I guess Mexico wants to host more WCQ matches behind closed doors.

To be honest, they have been warned so many times that is what they should do at the least.  Or frankly, just ban them. 

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Narduch alluded to it, but I'll repost the same link I posted earlier, and I'll quote a different passage from it.

https://www.concacaf.com/gold-cup/article/concacaf-statement-curacao-delegation-at-2021-gold-cup/

"Although several Curacao players returned a negative test result, local state guidelines require several of them to isolate due to being close contacts of those who tested positive. In light of these circumstances, Concacaf and the Curaçao Football Federation have mutually agreed that Curaçao will not participate in the Gold Cup."

If we are so upset by this and are demanding answers, let's read the 1 page press release about it.

Thanks Kent! If we take concacaf at face value that it was okay with Curacao then fair enough. I said as much in my comment that you quoted. 

But thank you Kent for digging that up and directing me to an answer. The great thing about this place is that posters go through the effort to dig up and share information with others when they don't necessarily have the time or desire to dig themelves. It's a good aggregator of canadian soccer news.

6 hours ago, Kent said:

You must be heartbroken for Messi, a player from your sacred Barcelona, up on the podium claiming the Copa America after wasting so much time with Argentina when he could be resting up for the club season. 

I like you all, who couldn't give a damn if we're unnecessarily injuring players in a nonconsequential kickaround.

I mean, the lack of distinction is so lame, it's a highly meaningful tournament for Messi and Argentina, his first trophy for his nation. It's a legacy accomplishment. 

He had a proper preseason and his club does a proper job on his conditioning, he hasn't missed games for a muscular or joint injury in years. He also has proven he can handle the pace. Still, Spain reduced cup ties this year, Barça got knocked out of CL early. Comenmbol qualifying is further along than Concacaf. 

Keep laughing through the Herdman shitshow guys. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I like you all, who couldn't give a damn if we're unnecessarily injuring players in a nonconsequential kickaround.

I mean, the lack of distinction is so lame, it's a highly meaningful tournament for Messi and Argentina, his first trophy for his nation. It's a legacy accomplishment. 

He had a proper preseason and his club does a proper job on his conditioning, he hasn't missed games for a muscular or joint injury in years. He also has proven he can handle the pace. Still, Spain reduced cup ties this year, Barça got knocked out of CL early. Comenmbol qualifying is further along than Concacaf. 

Are you drinking or something as you are so over the top you have lost all credibility?  It’s one thing to make a reasoned argument free of emotion that perhaps it would be better to focus on World Cup Qualifying and de-emphasise the Gold Cup so there’s less risk of injuries and players could be better rested. I can respect that. It’s reasonable. But others are open to make counter arguments that actually we would be better served by playing the best players available for the Gold Cup to build continuity as we have so few competitive matches or friendlies in recent years as well as hopefully to build a winning attitude. Personally, I don’t think either case is clear cut. They both have their merits.  

But your reactions when you are caught out or questioned are like a child throwing a tantrum as you haven’t got your way (ie. everyone agreeing with you). Honestly, I think you should take a deep breath, do some meditation and have a good think about why you lose your shit every time someone doesn’t agree with you.  There must be some deep rooted insecurity there cause from some trauma in your past. 

I think those around you would appreciate it and you may over time come to release that the beauty of life is about differences of views and not badgering people into some sort of submission. 

you have been on here for years and I think most appreciate your knowledge of football and in particular Spain. It’s quite beneficial to all of us. Maybe try to take it a little less seriously and just share your views as views and not the gospel according to Jeffrey. 

52 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Are you drinking or something as you are so over the top you have lost all credibility?  It’s one thing to make a reasoned argument free of emotion that perhaps it would be better to focus on World Cup Qualifying and de-emphasise the Gold Cup so there’s less risk of injuries and players could be better rested. I can respect that. It’s reasonable. But others are open to make counter arguments that actually we would be better served by playing the best players available for the Gold Cup to build continuity as we have so few competitive matches or friendlies in recent years as well as hopefully to build a winning attitude. Personally, I don’t think either case is clear cut. They both have their merits.  

But your reactions when you are caught out or questioned are like a child throwing a tantrum as you haven’t got your way (ie. everyone agreeing with you). Honestly, I think you should take a deep breath, do some meditation and have a good think about why you lose your shit every time someone doesn’t agree with you.  There must be some deep rooted insecurity there cause from some trauma in your past. 

I think those around you would appreciate it and you may over time come to release that the beauty of life is about differences of views and not badgering people into some sort of submission. 

you have been on here for years and I think most appreciate your knowledge of football and in particular Spain. It’s quite beneficial to all of us. Maybe try to take it a little less seriously and just share your views as views and not the gospel according to Jeffrey. 

Messi is not even a Barcelona player right now, he's out of contract. So the comparison was even further off than @Kent could have imagined. 

I'm just giving my opinion, it's not gospel. If some of you heard it like gospel then that's your problem. But it doesn't matter, it's the CSA and Herdman who are taking apart this false discourse about the vital importance of the Gold Cup, they don't need chumps like me at all. 

33 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Messi is not even a Barcelona player right now, he's out of contract. So the comparison was even further off than @Kent could have imagined. 

I'm just giving my opinion, it's not gospel. If some of you heard it like gospel then that's your problem. But it doesn't matter, it's the CSA and Herdman who are taking apart this false discourse about the vital importance of the Gold Cup, they don't need chumps like me at all. 

Thanks. I see you got the point. 

34 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hey congratulations on +6000 posts! I really enjoy mostly lurking this board because of the highly educated opinions of many of the posters here; including you. 

But; you're kind of a prick, as exemplified by you're behavior in the last few pages of this thread. The tone, and the demeanor of you here is the type of stuff that makes it hard for the random fan to stick around here. You're just carrying yourself in a particularly not nice manner, and it sucks the joy out of things. 

Cheers

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What makes the Gold Cup a nonconsequential kickaround but the Copa America is important? Is it because of the amount of glamour that comes from winning it? If so, then one could argue the Copa America is a nonconsequential kickaround because the Euros are more glamourous. And then someone could take it a step further and say the Euros are nonconsequential because it isn't on the same level of importance as the World Cup. I suppose you could even say the same thing about La Liga. The World Cup is bigger, so why bother with La Liga?

The Gold Cup is our region's championship. It will only grow in stature if teams take it seriously, and in particular if teams other than USA and Mexico (like Canada perhaps) win it every once in a while.

You called this edition of the Copa America a legacy tournament for Messi. That makes me wonder if in your opinion/gospel it was foolish for others, like say Neymar, to play? Or what about earlier Copa America's that Messi played in (I believe this was his 6th)? Were they important or only the later ones were important because he was running out of time to say "you can't use a lack of international trophies as a reason I am not the greatest of all time". Maybe this Gold Cup would have been Davies' best chance at winning it in his entire career and he needs it for his legacy.

Anyways, you don't have to watch the Gold Cup if you think it's meaningless friendlies. Have a good day.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

What makes the Gold Cup a nonconsequential kickaround but the Copa America is important? Is it because of the amount of glamour that comes from winning it? If so, then one could argue the Copa America is a nonconsequential kickaround because the Euros are more glamourous. And then someone could take it a step further and say the Euros are nonconsequential because it isn't on the same level of importance as the World Cup. I suppose you could even say the same thing about La Liga. The World Cup is bigger, so why bother with La Liga?

The Gold Cup is our region's championship. It will only grow in stature if teams take it seriously, and in particular if teams other than USA and Mexico (like Canada perhaps) win it every once in a while.

You called this edition of the Copa America a legacy tournament for Messi. That makes me wonder if in your opinion/gospel it was foolish for others, like say Neymar, to play? Or what about earlier Copa America's that Messi played in (I believe this was his 6th)? Were they important or only the later ones were important because he was running out of time to say "you can't use a lack of international trophies as a reason I am not the greatest of all time". Maybe this Gold Cup would have been Davies' best chance at winning it in his entire career and he needs it for his legacy.

Anyways, you don't have to watch the Gold Cup if you think it's meaningless friendlies. Have a good day.

And that is the ridiculously circular part of people arguing that we should downplay the Gold Cup while holding other continental/regional tournaments in high esteem (and probably watching them rabidly). 

If you claim that the Euros and the Copa America are great tournaments worthy or recognition/participation, it has to be for one of a few of reasons:

- they are high calibre tournaments that stand alone as being worthy 

- they feature high quality players and thus present excellent play

- they deserve recognition as their respective continental championships 

All of those reasons are strengthened (with respect to the Gold Cup) if CONCACAF teams take it seriously.  It may not ever have the prestige of the other major tournaments but it is ours and that has to matter for something.  It is one of two international tournaments that we get to participate in, so it deserves respect.  

3 hours ago, An Observer said:

He has a wonderful ability to somehow be right, even when he is demonstrably wrong.  It is truly amazing.  

I see both points, but this is becoming tiresome now.

The only thing I will say about the Gold Cup in general is in 2000 when we won, it is one of my favorite moments as a CMNT supporter. So yes, I am excited for this tournament.

I still remember being a teenager in my parents basement on their 56k dial-up internet and hitting the refresh button Canoe Sports and CONCACAF website to see we advanced out of the group stage via a coin flip.

^^That Gold Cup win was the only time I ever saw our national team on the front page of the newspaper.  And when the Toronto Sun put them on the front page after beating Mexico, my jaw dropped; I was completely unaware that some were paying attention other than a few crazy nuts on that Canoe board. 😉 

Gotta say the Gold Cup is the only regional comp that isn’t taken seriously by NTs (on occasion), and I find it mystifying. 

Can’t recall an AFCON, for example, where a NT decided to purposely play their B team. 

10 minutes ago, BigMo said:

Gotta say the Gold Cup is the only regional comp that isn’t taken seriously by NTs (on occasion), and I find it mystifying. 

Can’t recall an AFCON, for example, where a NT decided to purposely play their B team. 

It's probably because it's never not in the USA and always won by the USA or Mexico

27 minutes ago, BigMo said:

There's really 2 Gold Cups.  The one held the year after the World Cup is taken seriously.  The one the year before the World Cup tends to have weakened sides because the focus is WCQ

25 minutes ago, BigMo said:

CONCACAF hosts the tournament too often. It’s conflicts with WQC. Also I believe more teams should be added. But CONCACAF needs to kick some of these Soccer federations in the butt. CONCACAF is still too corrupt and a good % federations in The region  are run by bunch of clowns

8 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

CONCACAF hosts the tournament too often. It’s conflicts with WQC. Also I believe more teams should be added. But CONCACAF needs to kick some of these Soccer federations in the butt. CONCACAF is still too corrupt and a good % federations in The region  are run by bunch of clowns

More teams???  There's already too many.  We've got Grenada in the field